Travel Insurance success story

BopRN

14 hours ago, LadySpoilt said:

In response to your rather snarky response above.....I was merely stating my reasons for buying travel insurance.  Quite sure that I never once referenced or put down anyone regarding their reasoning for purchasing insurance.  Besides I thought the title of this topic was  "Travel Insurance Success Story" so I think my post regarding my Travel Insurance Success Story was quite appropriate as Travel Insurance covers several different things.

Strange,  I was AGREEING with your point.

15 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I looked up my documents.

2013: Cruise for two people for one week on Oasis in a balcony.  Insurance was $77.50pp so $155 total. Cruise cost $2948.

2014: Cruise for five people (two adults, three kids) for one week on Freedom. Insurance was $103.50 for each adult (kids free) total $207.  Cruise cost $6872.

2016: Cruise for six people (two adults, two 18yo, two kids) for one week on Freedom.  Insurance was $131.50 for each adult, $50 for each 18yo.  Total $377.  Cruise cost $8642.

And keep in mind, this insurance covered more than just trip cancellation.  Maybe the prices have gone up in the meantime or maybe your insurance isn't the best deal. 

It also makes a difference based on the AGE of the people being covered.

I just ran the coverage on Travel Guard mentioned, and their coverage for the same trip was $1 different than my insurance company.

$540 for fully covering a 12 night cruise.

Rolled the dice a few times when younger traveling without insurance.....glad we changed our minds....prior to one trip I had a reaction to new antibiotics that laid me up for over a month...cost of cruise was covered by insurance. More importantly, about five years ago so a passenger taken off ship by helicopter one night at sea.....hopefully, he survived and had trip insurance to cover medical....this can run into huge money....I agree with earlier poster....it is just part of cost of cruise...we use Squaremouth to find and compare policies😉😉

I've consider insurance as paying to transfer risk, not an investment (and have never heard of insurance being considered an investment except possibly for whole life).

For some situations it is "worth it" to transfer the risk of not getting a vacation for the vacation dollars spent and getting a portion of the money back for a future use.  For most, it is responsible to transfer the risk of medical/evacuation costs.  Each person need to look at their entire situation and what risk they are willing/able to take themselves and what they are willing to pay an insurer to pick up.