The Native Choice Tours

shelly222

Hi. 

Has anyone ever use The Native Choice tour company in Costa Maya? We are considering it for when we are there but wanted to make sure they are trustworthy and reliable. So far the customer service has been excellent.

Thank you so much. 

Did you book native choice for Costa Maya? I have booked them for Feb 14th. If we are going on the same tour we could meet up before heading off the ship and walk together. It's just my husband and I. 

Andrea

On 2/5/2019 at 2:57 PM, shelly222 said:

Hi. 

Has anyone ever use The Native Choice tour company in Costa Maya? We are considering it for when we are there but wanted to make sure they are trustworthy and reliable. So far the customer service has been excellent.

Thank you so much. 

We did the Chacchoben Extreme Tour with Native Choice a few years ago and we were very satisfied. They are very reputable and professional. 

4 hours ago, anectar said:

Did you book native choice for Costa Maya? I have booked them for Feb 14th. If we are going on the same tour we could meet up before heading off the ship and walk together. It's just my husband and I. 

Andrea

That would of been great, Andrea but we aren't going until December. Have a wonderful cruise.. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2019 at 7:55 AM, anectar said:

Andrea

Hi Andrea, we will be there in April and I saw this Thread.  We do like to book Excursions through a private company instead of through the ship sometimes. Would you mind sharing your experience after you return? That would be great!  Enjoy your cruise, we will be on HAL Rotterdam, how about you?

Mimi

We went to the ruins with them in December, they were fantastic.  Small group, informative guide, comfortable van.  You need to exit the pier area, go through the door that says no exit, honestly.  The pier people don’t want you leaving to spend money with anyone else.  

The cost was half of what the ship was charging to go to the same location for less time with an entire bus full of people.  

• Like 3

On 2/12/2019 at 4:41 PM, Zoedokey said:

We went to the ruins with them in December, they were fantastic.  Small group, informative guide, comfortable van.  You need to exit the pier area, go through the door that says no exit, honestly.  The pier people don’t want you leaving to spend money with anyone else.  

The cost was half of what the ship was charging to go to the same location for less time with an entire bus full of people.  

Thank you so much. 

We used Native Choicekart week for the 4 hr Chaccoben Ruins tour. The minibus was a modern air conditioned bus. Driver was Cesar and guide was Hugo. Very good tour with very informative guide. Short stop to buy fresh pineapple on the return trip. Great tour and a bargain compared to the MSC tour. Ken

On 2/11/2019 at 4:33 AM, CM1984 said:

Hi Andrea, we will be there in April and I saw this Thread.  We do like to book Excursions through a private company instead of through the ship sometimes. Would you mind sharing your experience after you return? That would be great!  Enjoy your cruise, we will be on HAL Rotterdam, how about you?

Mimi

The Native Choice tour was great. It was confusing to exit the port and we popped out on the other side than the instructions recommended but still easily found the office. The van was nice and the guide and driver great. Felt safe with them and then they dropped us close to the port so we didn't have to walk far. There is a bathroom in the office and a bathroom break before heading into the ruins and after. Saw a monkey jump from tree to tree!

Our booking experience was excellent - they did not try to squeeze in the two ruins tour they have available due to the way NCL Epic set up their arrival and departure time; and we followed their recommendation of the Dzibanche Ruins Tour.

Making our way out of market port area was poor, in agreement with an earlier poster -the route is not marked well and the sales people we asked for help from were not forthcoming regarding the route.  I understand they want to make money so did not get mad, but it was frustrating.  If you are new to the area, I recommend leaving 10 to 15 minutes earlier than your anticipated time based on your walking pace.

Dzibanche Tour was fantastic - travelled in a modern air conditioned van (maximum 10 guests) and driver was excellent, especially negotiating the speed bumps and pot holes; Eric, our tour guide (has won the last two years as #1 tour guide for company), is Mayan, was able to welcome everyone in seven or so languages, and more importantly was an informative and friendly host; the ruins themselves were a great experience and we were able to climb one ruin without the big bus tour that followed in the way, and then Eric led us around the site until the big bus tour left and we climbed a second set of ruins without a lot of other tourists around (only six of us on this tour); they also provided pop and water as well as a sandwich lunch.

On 2/17/2019 at 9:30 PM, CruiseIreland said:

We used Native Choicekart week for the 4 hr Chaccoben Ruins tour. The minibus was a modern air conditioned bus. Driver was Cesar and guide was Hugo. Very good tour with very informative guide. Short stop to buy fresh pineapple on the return trip. Great tour and a bargain compared to the MSC tour. Ken

thank you so much.. 

On 2/18/2019 at 3:02 PM, CantSwim63 said:

Our booking experience was excellent - they did not try to squeeze in the two ruins tour they have available due to the way NCL Epic set up their arrival and departure time; and we followed their recommendation of the Dzibanche Ruins Tour.

Making our way out of market port area was poor, in agreement with an earlier poster -the route is not marked well and the sales people we asked for help from were not forthcoming regarding the route.  I understand they want to make money so did not get mad, but it was frustrating.  If you are new to the area, I recommend leaving 10 to 15 minutes earlier than your anticipated time based on your walking pace.

Dzibanche Tour was fantastic - travelled in a modern air conditioned van (maximum 10 guests) and driver was excellent, especially negotiating the speed bumps and pot holes; Eric, our tour guide (has won the last two years as #1 tour guide for company), is Mayan, was able to welcome everyone in seven or so languages, and more importantly was an informative and friendly host; the ruins themselves were a great experience and we were able to climb one ruin without the big bus tour that followed in the way, and then Eric led us around the site until the big bus tour left and we climbed a second set of ruins without a lot of other tourists around (only six of us on this tour); they also provided pop and water as well as a sandwich lunch.

thank you so much... 

I booked a private tour with them since my son is in a wheelchair and due to his needs... I am a little concerned about the time frame (our ship gets in at 1pm, tour starts at 2pm, 4 hour tour and ship leaves at 8pm). I am thinking this is plenty of time, but if something happens, I am a little concerned.

Thank you everyone for your comments and sharing your experiences. I really appreciate it. Happy Cruising..  

Another thumbs up for Native Choice. Last year we booked Dzibanche, a two hour ride each way, but so worth it. My wife and I were the only ones who actually showed up for the tour, but they did not cancel, so we had our tour guide all to ourselves. I have booked other tours in places where the tour was cancelled due to no shows, but not here. Grade A service. 

We took the Maya Experience tour of Chacchoben with Native Choice.  20-pax air-conditioned van (3 places are for guides).  Great experience at the site and lunch in a Mayan village.  Make and cook your own corn tortilla.

Getting out of the cruiseport is difficult.  I understand that the exit changes as another way to trap tourists.  Native Choice will provide a map. Basically, get outside and turn left at the pyramid.  Walk on the tree-lined path in the middle of the road rather than the sidewalks.

Wonderful experience with a smaller group than cruise excursions.

• 3 weeks later...

We just went on the Chacchoben  Ruin extreme excursion and had a fabulous time.  I would highly recommend them.  We left on time, got back with plenty of time to see the port.  The drive was about 50 minutes in a modern new van.  After touring the ruins we went to a private resort for lunch, swimming and kayaking.  On the way back to port, we stopped for a fresh pineapple treat.  Our guide was a fantastic and the driver was very safe!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can someone please advise on how far the walk is to the Native Choice pickup spot once you exit the Port area.

On their website it says 4 blocks.  

How far or how long is the actual walk?

thank you.

-Doug

1 hour ago, doug618 said:

Can someone please advise on how far the walk is to the Native Choice pickup spot once you exit the Port area.

On their website it says 4 blocks.  

How far or how long is the actual walk?

thank you.

-Doug

It’s a little over a 1/2 mile from the port per Google maps. It’s about 9-10 min walk after leaving the port. You can also get a cab from the port, if needed. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm solo on an upcoming MSC cruise.  We'll be in Costa Maya from 7 am to 4 pm.  I want to go to Chacchoben.  I'm slightly wary of exiting the port and walking that far on my own.  I cruise solo often and am normally not the least bit concerned with wandering around on my own, but those are ports in which English is spoken.  I know no Spanish.  There isn't even a roll call for this sailing, so I can't convince others to join me on the excursion. 

Their map on the website with walking directions is really helpful.  Last time there, a group of us took taxis to a beach club (I didn't book it and don't know the name).  It was quite a hike just to get out of the port area and to the taxis!

But I think I'll go for this.  Assuming, of course, that others who aren't on Cruise Critic are actually booking and I won't have a private tour all on my own!

My daughter and I are going on this with them by ourselves (it's as if I'm traveling alone) and really looking forward to it. It's about a ten minute walk. Dont worry about not knowing Spanish. You will make do with English and lots of ppl around to help. I've only heard great things about this tour and company - I would go if I were u. Enjoy your cruise