Cruise Critic Community
bobh002

Virgin Scarlet Lady Inaugural Cruise 4/1/2020

Still wondering if this Cuba thing has anything to do with my booking an April Fools day departure and my cabin being on the 13th floor.   ☺️

Looking forward to some news this coming week...

New itinerary for "previously Cuba" April 1-5 voyage is out via email:   Miami (7p departure), Key West (8a-7p), Beach Club at Bimini (10a-11:59p), day at sea, Miami (6:30a arrival).

Pretty disappointed in that in being a early deposit (12/2017) supporter in faith, it looks as though my cabin discount is only fifty dollar difference over those booking today.  I will probably call today to see if I am missing something...?

Nope, not missing anything. I am a solo traveler and got $22 off a $2250 cabin. On such an inflated cruise cost you would think they would do nothing at all or a lot more. Almost an insult at $22!  They said that I could get my money back if I canceled by July 10th. I guess that I did not realize that you lost your full deposit if you cancel your reservation after 7 days of booking. I also have had a deposit for a year and a half, I sure was looking forward to this sailing, but this has put a bad taste in my mouth. 

I have not received an email at all.  Looks like the Central Sea Terrace was $3800 when I booked and is $3600 now.  I figured we would get hosed as far as getting any discount due to the port change since we are already paying an inflated price to be on the inaugural cruise.   

Those who called, are they giving you the current price or are they just giving you a ridiculously tiny discount?  

First off, being an optimist, I support Richard in all he's doing and can't imagine being thrown for this loop.  I've been excited for his Virgin Group since the day they announced and blindly put my early deposit down knowing they would do it right.

I called VV and was offered a $44 discount (twice the solo amount?) and was also given the July 10th deadline to make my decision.  Feels like I bit into a lemon with the $44 offer - especially when [initially] reading the email from Tom, I felt "Well, at least the Virgin Group and VV team will make it right." 

While on the call, I asked why the same cruise was less than half the price later in the year and was told that my cruise was the inaugural cruise and the other times were not as popular.  I mentioned that the whole Terrace category had cabins available online "right now" (and still does two days later) and asked if there will be anything special about the inaugural cruise. The answer I received was lack luster to say the least.  VV has not said anything nor published anything about this first out sailing but maybe they could, if not should, do so.  I need something to get excited about before I have to make my decision next month.

I just received an email that reduced my sailing by around +/- 15%. I know that things must be crazy for all the lines right now, glad to see that Virgin Voyages is responding to the buzz out here. As for the things scheduled for the inaugural sailing, you know they will have some epic things planned. Sir Richard never does anything half a**ed.

I have not received any emails from VV except for our booking confirmation, for whatever reason, but I logged on to the website and noticed that we only owe $2,946.  Our booking confirmation email stated our balance was $3390.  So, they have taken $444 off the price of our cruise. 

I just posted on the VV board about this but I just got a call from VV about a "sneak a peek" sailing that they are offering from March 29-April 1.  They are offering it to inaugural cruise people for 40% off.  My price (we are in a central sea terrace) is $1560 for the two of us.  I feel like this steals the thunder of the inaugural cruise.  We have paid a pretty hefty premium to be on the inaugural cruise and now they have put a cruise ahead of us.  I'm probably going to book it but it just doesn't sit right with me. 

Yikes, this isn't cheap but I want to check out Scarlet Lady!   Booking today.  Our TA is giving us a $200 rebate check which cuts the sting a little, and the $200 obc will cover all our drinks.  So this is one of the rare cruises where the final price just might be the actual real price.  (unless I buy souvenirs, pics, etc.)

Although I swore I would never fly to FL for a cruise that is less than 7 days, I am intrigued enough to do it. . . and pay a lot per night  🤔 for our cabin for this "inaugural" cruise.   

See ya onboard.   I'm sure it'll be a wonderful experience.   

7 minutes ago, mizLORInj said:

So this is one of the rare cruises where the final price just might be the actual real price.  (unless I buy souvenirs, pics, etc.)

The only obvious (to me) upcharges are the ice cream shop (pictures of the shop prominently show price boards) and the upcharge coffee shop (same with the signage). I'm very happy not to have to navigate 20 different pay venues for dinner (looking at you, NCL). 

Things I'm unsure of: will the 'Drag Brunch' have a cover charge? I think it involves booze (unlimited mimosas?) but I don't drink.

Will the "free" internet package be usable for normal stuff, or be completely locked down to social media use only?

Is there an upcharge thermal spa area? 

Otherwise, I think they're being fairly transparent about their pricing, so fingers crossed. 

Yup.  Will be an experience for sure.   We looked at going later in April for less $ but airfares fluctuated due to easter. . .then it's nice springtime weather in NJ and I don't mind being at home come May. . .   I also like that it's a smaller ship this time; haven't been on something this size in ages.  Always the mega ships, which I love as well.   I don't think we'll do the ice cream or coffee, but I will get a shot glass for my collection.   Pics we take nice one ourselves. . . we won't be able to sample all the eateries but I'm sure we won't go hungry.   Sir Richard usually does a great job on anything he does, so I have high expectations.  And if he happens to be onboard, that would be cool too.  (I know he's doing the summer cruise, but I have a pool so I don't normally cruise once that's open).     Yeah, good question about the wifi. 

Choosing flights and booking a Tuesday night hotel in Miami now. 

We're booked! Can't wait...our first inaugural so we're super excited. 36 and 30 yr olds here, driving down from Tampa Tuesday and staying at the Conrad for a fun night in Miami! 

I was so excited to be going on Scarlet Lady for dinner in NYC this Saturday--and now they're skipping their NYC stop.   Guess I'll have to wait till 4/1.  I suppose I'll live--we just got off Regal Princess yesterday.   🤩

We are flying down late on Tuesday.   

Can anyone get into their reservation/  Tells me I can set up things and yet says "we have all the info we need for now."  So how will we get boarding pass and luggage tag I wonder. 

I received our "The Band" and luggage tags today.  😀

We’ll see y’all onboard. Excited for our first inaugural cruise. We’ve booked the Hemingway excursion in Key West for some history. 

- Erin & Susan

Is anyone thinking about cancelling?  We are up in the air.  My family is insisting that we  need to postpone.

We got the bands and luggage tags today too.    Just a few more weeks!    Looking forward to checking out this new ship.  

Has anyone booked on the inaugural been able to book the onboard events?  Virgin told me that I will have to do that onboard, but that often really means the events are already sold out. So I'm curious what other peoples' experiences have been.  The Drag Queen brunch doesn't even show up on my list of events.

Also wondering if it's worth going on the Inaugural.  Virgin won't give details and has only told me that there will be 'surprises'.  If that meant special guest appearances, I'm wondering if whatever guests were planned would still be onboard given COVID-19. I'm thinking not too many celebs would do it.

And is anyone else thinking that the value of the Inaugural has been completely diluted?  There have been YouTube videos for weeks showing the ship because they've previewed it for so many people.  And the first 'sneak peek' cruise is now truly the maiden voyage.  The whole 'surprise' value of the April 1 cruise has been lost.  Makes me question 'what's the point?'

2 hours ago, ExplorerCA said:

Has anyone booked on the inaugural been able to book the onboard events?  Virgin told me that I will have to do that onboard, but that often really means the events are already sold out. So I'm curious what other peoples' experiences have been.  The Drag Queen brunch doesn't even show up on my list of events.

Also wondering if it's worth going on the Inaugural.  Virgin won't give details and has only told me that there will be 'surprises'.  If that meant special guest appearances, I'm wondering if whatever guests were planned would still be onboard given COVID-19. I'm thinking not too many celebs would do it.

And is anyone else thinking that the value of the Inaugural has been completely diluted?  There have been YouTube videos for weeks showing the ship because they've previewed it for so many people.  And the first 'sneak peek' cruise is now truly the maiden voyage.  The whole 'surprise' value of the April 1 cruise has been lost.  Makes me question 'what's the point?'

I agree with much of this sentiment.  I have not looked at the online postings about the previews because I want to be surprised.  I am still highly annoyed that they are having these "sneak-a-peek" sailings.  However, I don't assume that the onboard events are sold out just because you can't book them online.  I had to call VV to book our Bimini excursion this morning because there simply is no way to book it online.  I had to have help even finding the offered excursions on the website.  (You have to scroll all the way to the bottom to the fine print you never look at and click on "shore things" in case anyone else is looking.)  I am worried that we will have less surprise celebrity visitors due to Covid-19 but I'm locked in at this point. We're going to make the best of it.  

Although I understand the reasoning, i'm so sad it's cancelled.  I mean postponed.   I don't want to cruise in the Caribbean in the summer, so we cancelled and are getting a refund and credit for for another cruise.    I noticed that future sailings are nowhere the cost of this April 1st one.