CAPE LIBERTY (and NYC) 411-VERSION 5!!!

megr1125

I had occasion to stay at the Residence Inn a little over a week ago, pre Anthem.

My stay was fine, not bad, not fantastic but the room was clean, I slept well, the shuttle to/from EWR was fine and no real issues.

The hotel was redone a few years ago and it's getting a little beaten up but it is NOT horrible.

As an FYI....a friend of mine was at the Ramada/Ramada Plaza yesterday and noticed a VERY nice white jeep sitting on cinder blocks!  ALL FOUR wheels/tires had been stolen!!!  (I saw the photos that my friend took, but I've not gotten permission to share them yet.)

That parking lot DOES have some sort of security about 100 feet away, but still....this is really bad!  That hotel is one that's often suggested here BUT be warned!  If you have fancy wheels on your car, consider parking someplace else.

There is a new (less than 6 months old) Home2Suites by Hilton located on Route 1 & 9, adjacent to the Springhill Suites, Fairfield Inn and Courtyard Newark Airport (those hotels are NOT near Jersey Gardens) and it may be a good option.  I do not see a park n cruise package yet.

Close to the pier, a new Costco should be opening in the next month or so.  It appears that the last thing to be done will be the gas station part, and when my local Costco was being built, once they got to the gas section, it opened around a month later.

There is a sign on that building that said LIQUOR SALES so you may be able to get wine there once it opens.  My Costco doesn't sell booze so I am not sure of the details.

That's all for now!  

• Like 1

Got caught at the end of the last post.  I'm so confused.  We are flying into Newark on Oct. 23, departing on Anthem on 24th.  I rethinking that maybe we might want to do some sightseeing if we fly in by early afternoon.  Need hotel for two, no bed requirements, just nice and clean, ideally shuttle from airport  and to cruise port and place to buy water and wine before boarding.  I no longer have a budget.  I'd just like something that would be convenient.

Transportation from Newark Penn Station to midtown NYC (New York Penn Station) by NJTransit is $5.25/pp each way and to downtown NYC (World Trade) by PATH is $2.75/pp each way.  It takes about a half hour. From Newark Airport Station to midtown is $13/pp each way and to downtown (via train and PATH is $11.25/pp each way) and takes at least an hour from an airport hotel. 

Here’s my response to you from the other thread:

Are you looking for Oct 9 or Oct 23? Prices are high because it’s a business travel night. What time does your flight arrive?

Any hotel I would recommend would have a hotel shuttle to and from the airport. However, to get the free shuttles you have to take yourselves and you luggage on the free terminal air train to the P4 air train stop. The problem is the wine - there are no liquor stores at the airport. Also food for dinner can be an issue - many hotels offer free breakfast, but have no restaurant. The closest restaurant would likely be in a neighboring hotel (no local eateries that are walkable) except for the hotels on International Blvd, which are all over your budget for a Wed night in Oct. The only hotel that meets all your criteria is the Robert Treat in downtown Newark. Airport shuttle, within your budget, in house restaurant, access to local restaurants and liquor store, free breakfast, and free WiFi. However, downtown Newark is a highly urban area that you may not want to wander around on foot after dark. I have stayed there and liked the hotel, but I knew exactly what to expect. 

2 hours ago, bayou cruiser said:

Thank you!  I'm now thinking the Penn Station Hilton might just be the most convenient.  We can take the P4, shuttle to the hotel and then go into NYC, do a little sightseeing, have dinner and buy wine while there. 

Sounds like a plan

7 hours ago, may_bartram said:

So with this talk about the security of hotel parking while on the cruise (based on the jeep with the missing tires), I want to ask: is the general consensus that the parking garage at the port is more secure?

Yes. I’ve left my car at the Ramada with no issues over the years and would do it again. However, I drive a boring Dodge Caravan and not a fancy Jeep.  Many cruisers use the trinityreservations package and there have been no reports of any issues. In the end it’s a personal decision. 

My apologies if this has been asked and answered repeatedly

I'm working on my vacation budget and my brain doesn't seem to be working well.  We are booked on a 5 Night Bermuda cruise on Anthem and I am try to figure parking charges.  The Liberty site states $22/day, but I didn't see what hours constitute a day.  Will we pay 5 days parking (not being charged for debarkation day) or 6 days?

Thanks

3 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

My apologies if this has been asked and answered repeatedly

I'm working on my vacation budget and my brain doesn't seem to be working well.  We are booked on a 5 Night Bermuda cruise on Anthem and I am try to figure parking charges.  The Liberty site states $22/day, but I didn't see what hours constitute a day.  Will we pay 5 days parking (not being charged for debarkation day) or 6 days?

Thanks

You will be charged for 5 days, the length of your cruise. 

48 minutes ago, offwegoagain13 said:

Does Trinity do hotel and cruise shuttle options to Cape liberty?  We are flying in for a cruise in September.

Yes. Trinity reservations.com offers both fly/cruise and park/cruise options with port transportation for Bayonne Cruiseport. I have used them at the Ramada. 

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:08 AM, megr1125 said:

I had occasion to stay at the Residence Inn a little over a week ago, pre Anthem.

My stay was fine, not bad, not fantastic but the room was clean, I slept well, the shuttle to/from EWR was fine and no real issues.

The hotel was redone a few years ago and it's getting a little beaten up but it is NOT horrible.

As an FYI....a friend of mine was at the Ramada/Ramada Plaza yesterday and noticed a VERY nice white jeep sitting on cinder blocks!  ALL FOUR wheels/tires had been stolen!!!  (I saw the photos that my friend took, but I've not gotten permission to share them yet.)

That parking lot DOES have some sort of security about 100 feet away, but still....this is really bad!  That hotel is one that's often suggested here BUT be warned!  If you have fancy wheels on your car, consider parking someplace else.

There is a new (less than 6 months old) Home2Suites by Hilton located on Route 1 & 9, adjacent to the Springhill Suites, Fairfield Inn and Courtyard Newark Airport (those hotels are NOT near Jersey Gardens) and it may be a good option.  I do not see a park n cruise package yet.

Close to the pier, a new Costco should be opening in the next month or so.  It appears that the last thing to be done will be the gas station part, and when my local Costco was being built, once they got to the gas section, it opened around a month later.

There is a sign on that building that said LIQUOR SALES so you may be able to get wine there once it opens.  My Costco doesn't sell booze so I am not sure of the details.

That's all for now!  

What city is the new Costco in?  I see one in Union on Hudson Street.  Is there one opening closer to the pier?  Thank you!!!

I have looked and have sen a few comments about Linden, so I figured I would ask.

We are sailing on the Adventure of the Seas on 6/22/19.

I will be driving my boys from Baltimore, and my Parents driving in from the Turnpike in PA.

I found a good rate, $121 at the Hampton Inn Linden for the night before. We plan to drive the 15 miles the morning of the cruise. We are also planning on parking at the Port, had a bad experience with shuttles post cruise in the past. Florida, not NJ.

I couldn't see any bad reviews for the hotel, just that it is congested area with trucks.

We may go grab dinner when we arrive Friday evening, but saw there was a Chili's and Applebee's close.

Are there tolls on the way to Cape Liberty? I see Northbound on the Bayonne, no toll, but didn't know about I-78.

Thoughts?

Thank you..

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 3:52 PM, 138east said:

Yes. Trinity reservations.com offers both fly/cruise and park/cruise options with port transportation for Bayonne Cruiseport. I have used them at the Ramada. 

We have stayed at the Ramada three times on past cruises and are planning to go again in June.  We are cruising on celebrity and were told last year we can't park in the garage; that's for Royal.  At $22 per night for 11 nights at the port , the hotel, parking and shuttle is free.  However I would like to return with my wheels intact.  the alternatives are Holiday Inn and Springhill suites without the shuttle.  How worried should we be?

1 hour ago, tutzig said:

I have looked and have sen a few comments about Linden, so I figured I would ask.

We are sailing on the Adventure of the Seas on 6/22/19.

I will be driving my boys from Baltimore, and my Parents driving in from the Turnpike in PA.

I found a good rate, $121 at the Hampton Inn Linden for the night before. We plan to drive the 15 miles the morning of the cruise. We are also planning on parking at the Port, had a bad experience with shuttles post cruise in the past. Florida, not NJ.

I couldn't see any bad reviews for the hotel, just that it is congested area with trucks.

We may go grab dinner when we arrive Friday evening, but saw there was a Chili's and Applebee's close.

Are there tolls on the way to Cape Liberty? I see Northbound on the Bayonne, no toll, but didn't know about I-78.

Thoughts?

Thank you..

It's just a crappy area though it's adjacent to a shopping center.  There are a LOT of No Tell Motels VERY close by and while I've been in the Target, Starbucks and Grocery store that are in the shopping center, you couldn't pay me to sleep there. And there's a state prison just down the road.

If you take the NJ Turnpike to 78 then yes there will be a toll but I honestly don't know how much since A) I have EzPass and rarely look at the bill and B) am only in that area once every 4 or 5 years out of necessity or boredom.

57 minutes ago, Quo Vadis? said:

We have stayed at the Ramada three times on past cruises and are planning to go again in June.  We are cruising on celebrity and were told last year we can't park in the garage; that's for Royal.  At $22 per night for 11 nights at the port , the hotel, parking and shuttle is free.  However I would like to return with my wheels intact.  the alternatives are Holiday Inn and Springhill suites without the shuttle.  How worried should we be?

The SpringHill is likely safer than the Ramada but be careful getting there as it's tricky and trafficky (made up word!)  and if you miss it, getting back is a pain in the rear....

The image that 138 and I are speaking about, with the wheels removed, was one that was taken recently but it is NOT mine and I have not been able to contact the person who took it for permission to post it here.  Suffice it to say, I'd not stay there, it's really disconcerting and well, while I don't have wheels that are as fancy as the ones that were stolen, I do have more expensive wheels on my car (came that way) and I'm not planning to find out.  Also, I just prefer to be at 13A in one of the hotels adjacent to Jersey Gardens and where I have a few options to eat that are not hotel food.

I don't understand the parking garage thing though.  Royal and X are owned by the same company so I think maybe someone misinformed you.  I'd suggest calling or emailing them....you can go to cruiseliberty.com for contact info.

2 hours ago, Quo Vadis? said:

Trinityreservations.comis offering Springhill Suites on June 4 for 2 people plus 14 days parking, town car port transportation, and free breakfast for $298 tax included.

Last year the RCL cruises went out on Thur, Fri, and Sat, so the garage was filled for the typical Celebrity Sun sailings.  You’re sailing on a Wed.  If no one on the previous cruise was able to park in the garage, then there will be no spaces for your cruise.