CAPE LIBERTY (and NYC) 411-VERSION 5!!!

megr1125

4 hours ago, 138east said:

If you post your exact date we’ll recommend some hotels.  The hotels on International Blvd have access to Ruby Tuesdays, Applebee’s, Johnny Rockets, IHOP, and the Mall food court at Jersey Gardens Mall.  These are Embassy Suites, Courtyard Elizabeth, Residence Inn, and Country Inns.  Embassy Suites and Country Inns offer shuttles for $20 and 17.50/pp each way.  Trinityreservations.com offers fly, sleep, cruise options at the Ramada, Crowne Plaza, and Springhill Suites that include round trip port shuttle transportation.

Trinity also added the Fairfield and for about 280 i got the room , a shuttle to and from and parking for 10 days.  And for what i can see that isnt bad for that area. 

• Like 1

Any advice?

Flying in to Newark  early Tuesday, June 4 for the Celebrity Summit sailing on June 5 out of Port Liberty.   Party of 4, me, my husband, 16 year old son and Grandma.   We generally stay at Marriott/ Spring Hill Suits, mainly because we like having two beds and a sofa bed for my son, but realize that might not be possible. Looking for a hotel with hopefully free shuttles from the airport and to the cruise terminal.

Plans for the day are check in, leave the bags and possibly go check out sights.

After the cruise, our plans are to rent a car from Enterprise and visit with family in the area for a couple days and then coming back to the area to spend the night at the  Newark airport before our flight the next day.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

On 5/5/2019 at 12:34 PM, Disfan5 said:

Any advice?

Flying in to Newark  early Tuesday, June 4 for the Celebrity Summit sailing on June 5 out of Port Liberty.   Party of 4, me, my husband, 16 year old son and Grandma.   We generally stay at Marriott/ Spring Hill Suits, mainly because we like having two beds and a sofa bed for my son, but realize that might not be possible. Looking for a hotel with hopefully free shuttles from the airport and to the cruise terminal.

Plans for the day are check in, leave the bags and possibly go check out sights.

After the cruise, our plans are to rent a car from Enterprise and visit with family in the area for a couple days and then coming back to the area to spend the night at the  Newark airport before our flight the next day.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

This is tough.  You’re very late booking.  I would look at trinityreservations.com for Cape Liberty on June 4.  They have a package at Springhill Suites for 4 or 5 people.  I’m sure the package for 5 would give you 3 beds, but you’d have to contact trinity to see what bed configuration they could guarantee if you only booked for 4 people.  Price is $318 for 4 and $335 for 5 tax included with breakfast and round trip town car transportation.  You’re returning on a Sunday, so Enterprise would be closed in Bayonne and you’d have to return to the airport anyway to rent a car.  Airport shuttle is free (take yourselves and luggage on the free airtrain to the P4 Station to connect with hotel shuttles)

For going into NYC I would Uber to Newark Penn Station with 3 or more people.  Train fare from the Newark Airport Station is $13/pp each way and only $5.25/pp from Newark Penn Station.  Grandma would probably be eligible for a senior fare of $9 from the airport station and $2.45 from Newark Penn Station.  Springhill Suites is on the north side of the airport and is one of the closest hotels to Newark Penn Station.

New to this board, my apologies if the answer was in previous pages as I tried my best to weed through all of it before posting.

Flying into EWR on 6/21 for a 6/22 sailing on Adventure. We currently have two rooms for the five of us booked at the new Home2 Suites near EWR. Need to stay close as my 18 y/o son is flying solo up from TX where he's competing the week before to join my parents, boyfriend and I and he doesn't arrive until around 1am. The hotel has assured me that their shuttle will be available to him at that hour.

First question: Best way to get 5 people with all of our luggage to Bayonne/Cape Liberty and back efficiently/economically?

Second question: We will be sticking around for a few days after we return to do typical NY tourist stuff. I currently have us booked back at the same hotel and was planning on us heading back into the city each day because in my head it made sense when I made the reservations. Am I nuts? Are we cutting off our nose to spite our face and would it be better to try to find a hotel deal somewhere in the City? I'm normally a fairly efficient travel planner but this trip was planned during a period of high stress and now i'm second guessing everything including our cruise destination. 

Also of note: my Mom is 70 and recovering from back-to-back-to-back back surgeries. She's getting stronger by the day but I'm super worried about her being able to get around the city as much as she would like. It all sounds like a TON of walking.

WHAT HAVE WE DONE???

ANY help is very much appreciated!

15 minutes ago, Glossbosscali said:

New to this board, my apologies if the answer was in previous pages as I tried my best to weed through all of it before posting.

Flying into EWR on 6/21 for a 6/22 sailing on Adventure. We currently have two rooms for the five of us booked at the new Home2 Suites near EWR. Need to stay close as my 18 y/o son is flying solo up from TX where he's competing the week before to join my parents, boyfriend and I and he doesn't arrive until around 1am. The hotel has assured me that their shuttle will be available to him at that hour.

First question: Best way to get 5 people with all of our luggage to Bayonne/Cape Liberty and back efficiently/economically?

Second question: We will be sticking around for a few days after we return to do typical NY tourist stuff. I currently have us booked back at the same hotel and was planning on us heading back into the city each day because in my head it made sense when I made the reservations. Am I nuts? Are we cutting off our nose to spite our face and would it be better to try to find a hotel deal somewhere in the City? I'm normally a fairly efficient travel planner but this trip was planned during a period of high stress and now i'm second guessing everything including our cruise destination. 

Also of note: my Mom is 70 and recovering from back-to-back-to-back back surgeries. She's getting stronger by the day but I'm super worried about her being able to get around the city as much as she would like. It all sounds like a TON of walking.

WHAT HAVE WE DONE???

ANY help is very much appreciated!

Is the Home2suites cancellable?  What is the bed size configuration and price including tax for each room?  Really can’t give you useful suggestions without these facts about your family’s requirements and price range.  

Also so need to know the exact dates you need rooms post cruise.  What NY tourist stuff do you want to do?  IMO staying at the airport will be very expensive for the 5 of you to go in and out of the city at $13/pp each way ($9 for “senior” parents).  Train fares from Newark Penn Station to NY Penn Station are $5.25 adults and $2.45 seniors.  PATH from Newark Penn to World Trade is $2.75/pp.  Yes - NYC can be a ton of walking.

O

2 minutes ago, 138east said:

Is the Home2suites cancellable?  What is the bed size configuration and price including tax for each room?  Really can’t give you useful suggestions without these facts about your family’s requirements and price range.  

Also so need to know the exact dates you need rooms post cruise.  What NY tourist stuff do you want to do?  IMO staying at the airport will be very expensive for the 5 of you to go in and out of the city at $13/pp each way ($9 for “senior” parents).  Train fares from Newark Penn Station to NY Penn Station are $5.25 adults and $2.45 seniors.  PATH from Newark Penn to World Trade is $2.75/pp.  Yes - NYC can be a ton of walking.

O

Yes, Home2 Suites can be cancelled. We return from the cruise om 6/28 and fly back out of EWR on 7/1. We need one room with either one King or one Queen and the other room can be one King or Queen with a pull-out or rollaway or 2 Queens.

NYC must-sees include the 9/11 memorial, Ellis Island, Times Square, possibly the Bronx Zoo, Central Park... we have no real set plans and timeline for our time after the cruise. 

7 hours ago, Glossbosscali said:

Yes, Home2 Suites can be cancelled. We return from the cruise om 6/28 and fly back out of EWR on 7/1. We need one room with either one King or one Queen and the other room can be one King or Queen with a pull-out or rollaway or 2 Queens.

NYC must-sees include the 9/11 memorial, Ellis Island, Times Square, possibly the Bronx Zoo, Central Park... we have no real set plans and timeline for our time after the cruise. 

It’s difficult to advise without the financial considerations.  Your NY sightseeing possibilities are ambitious, especially the Bronx Zoo.  The best fit I’m seeing is the Courtyard Marriott in Jersey City.  It’s reasonable for your dates ($200 + tax) and is right next to the Newport PATH Station. Hyatt House at Exchange Place is similar with kitchen options and there are other options, but I need a budget range.  Residence Inn at Grove St has kitchenettes and free breakfast. The Jersey City hotels in the Newport, Grove St, and Exchange Places areas are all relatively new and very nice because their primary clientele are business travelers.  I have stayed at the Courtyard and Residence Inn and would heartily recommend both of them.  This is an upscale area your parents could enjoy and feel comfortable in should they not participate in all your sightseeing activities.

PATH to World Trade is closed on 2019 Sat’s and Sun’s.  It terminates at Exchange Place with a free transfer to a ferry to the World Trade Center.  PATH to 33rd St will be running on weekends.

Keep your Home2Suites and book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo to the port.  There are no hotels that offer a “free” port shuttle - you pay for it separately or it’s included in a fly, sleep, cruise package.

Please post back with questions and more details.

9 hours ago, 138east said:

It’s difficult to advise without the financial considerations.  Your NY sightseeing possibilities are ambitious, especially the Bronx Zoo.  The best fit I’m seeing is the Courtyard Marriott in Jersey City.  It’s reasonable for your dates ($200 + tax) and is right next to the Newport PATH Station. Hyatt House at Exchange Place is similar with kitchen options and there are other options, but I need a budget range.  Residence Inn at Grove St has kitchenettes and free breakfast. The Jersey City hotels in the Newport, Grove St, and Exchange Places areas are all relatively new and very nice because their primary clientele are business travelers.  I have stayed at the Courtyard and Residence Inn and would heartily recommend both of them.  This is an upscale area your parents could enjoy and feel comfortable in should they not participate in all your sightseeing activities.

PATH to World Trade is closed on 2019 Sat’s and Sun’s.  It terminates at Exchange Place with a free transfer to a ferry to the World Trade Center.  PATH to 33rd St will be running on weekends.

Keep your Home2Suites and book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo to the port.  There are no hotels that offer a “free” port shuttle - you pay for it separately or it’s included in a fly, sleep, cruise package.

Please post back with questions and more details.

Thank you so very much for all of your insight thus far! 

For 6/28-7/1 we are paying a total of $926.34 for two King suites (with pull out sofas for the 18 y/o) that includes breakfast each morning. If we can find a closer option that saves us time and is pretty much a wash price-wise once we figure in transportation costs, that would be fantastic! 

1 hour ago, Glossbosscali said:

Thank you so very much for all of your insight thus far! 

For 6/28-7/1 we are paying a total of $926.34 for two King suites (with pull out sofas for the 18 y/o) that includes breakfast each morning. If we can find a closer option that saves us time and is pretty much a wash price-wise once we figure in transportation costs, that would be fantastic! 

What does your mother think?  She’s the one with back issues.  From Home2Suites it will take you 1+ hours each way to get into Manhattan. If she stays behind, she’s stranded in an isolated hotel enclave with nothing else around - nowhere to go and nothing to do.  I’d look in Secaucus at Harmon Meadows.  Bus to midtown and lots of services.  8 hotel choices. http://www.harmonmeadow.com/Pages/index.html

6 hours ago, 138east said:

What does your mother think?  She’s the one with back issues.  From Home2Suites it will take you 1+ hours each way to get into Manhattan. If she stays behind, she’s stranded in an isolated hotel enclave with nothing else around - nowhere to go and nothing to do.  I’d look in Secaucus at Harmon Meadows.  Bus to midtown and lots of services.  8 hotel choices. http://www.harmonmeadow.com/Pages/index.html

THANK.YOU.

Seriously. Thank you. The amount of stress and anxiety that you have saved me is indescribable. Reservations made at a Harmon Meadows hotel for after the cruise. Bus stop directly across the street. It's actually less expensive than where we were staying and the location is infinitely more desirable and I wasn't even worrying about the cost when I booked it.

At this point I'm just going to roll the dice and grab two Uber's or Lyft's the first morning to get us and all of our bags to Cape Liberty and I'll do the same on the way back. 

Sorry to butt in, but was wondering about your mom - is she traveling with a cane, or even better, a rollator? (I’m in my late 60’s with arthritis in my real hip and my spine...love to cruise and sightsee!)  That would help a lot with the sightseeing since with a rollator, she would be able to sit down at any time. 

59 minutes ago, cooncat_mom said:

Sorry to butt in, but was wondering about your mom - is she traveling with a cane, or even better, a rollator? (I’m in my late 60’s with arthritis in my real hip and my spine...love to cruise and sightsee!)  That would help a lot with the sightseeing since with a rollator, she would be able to sit down at any time. 

What a great suggestion!  Also consider asking for wheelchair boarding - I always did this with my mom to save her the hike onto the ship as well as to protect her from inattentive folks with rolling suitcases.  Adventure is still a big ship which could have lots of walking depending on your cabin location.  As my mom became increasingly mobility impaired I took advantage of every mobility aid that was available to her.

4 hours ago, cooncat_mom said:

What a fabulous idea! While she has graduated from needing the rollator her physical therapist does have her utilizing a folding walking stick on an as needed basis. It sounds to me like she's using it mostly to keep other people out of her way, but whatever works and keeps her comfortable. I just asked and she's OK with wheelchair boarding since her biggest fear IS inattentive people in crowded situations such as boarding. I'm calling to request it right now! 

Thank you again for the suggestion, I'll take any and all. This board has been so incredibly helpful! 

I graduated from my rollator too - in fact I just did my first cruise in years without a rollator! If we had been doing a lot of off ship walking, I probably would have taken it since the seat and the ability to hold my family's  shopping bags 🙄 helps. The cane did come with me though. The little bits of balancing (you don't realize your hip and back muscles are working), it was sometimes nice to have the cane.  Feel free to hop over to the Special Inteterest - Disabilities Forum...lots of ideas and experience there! And have a great cruise!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

We will be on the June 5 sailing of Summit and staying at the Embassy Suites on International Blvd.  We have stayed at the Embassy Suites in the past and driven to the port, however, it has always been on the weekend.  This time our sailing is on Wednesday and I would like to know if we will be dealing with heavy traffic to the port.  We usually leave the hotel around 10 am.

12 minutes ago, Kennedysa said:

We will be on the June 5 sailing of Summit and staying at the Embassy Suites on International Blvd.  We have stayed at the Embassy Suites in the past and driven to the port, however, it has always been on the weekend.  This time our sailing is on Wednesday and I would like to know if we will be dealing with heavy traffic to the port.  We usually leave the hotel around 10 am.

NJ Turnpike traffic can be unpredictable.  1010 and 880 AM will have traffic reports every ten minutes.  Under normal circumstances there will be traffic, but it should be moving well by 10 am.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 138east said:

NJ Turnpike traffic can be unpredictable.  1010 and 880 AM will have traffic reports every ten minutes.  Under normal circumstances there will be traffic, but it should be moving well by 10 am.

Thank you!

6 hours ago, TPCRUISER2 said:

Anyone have any experience with Taking the bus from Newark airport south into cities in New Jersey? Thanks in advance!

Where exactly do you want to go?  NJ transit train goes some places on the Northeast Corridor and NJ Coast lines -   https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

Any bus service would be based out of Newark Penn Station and there would be additional bus service from Port Authority bus terminal in Manhattan.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 138east said:

Where exactly do you want to go?  NJ transit train goes some places on the Northeast Corridor and NJ Coast lines -   https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

Any bus service would be based out of Newark Penn Station and there would be additional bus service from Port Authority bus terminal in Manhattan.

NJ Transit route 67 buses  provide some service between the Toms River/Lakewood areas and Newark Airport.

Edited by njhorseman

2 hours ago, Mack and June said:

In October of 2018 we experienced distressingly long embarkation lines for Royal Carribean. Never in our 15 year crusing history have we had such a problem. 

Has anyone since experienced this problem at Cape Liberty? 

I’ve cruised from Cape Liberty many times since 2008.  Occasionally backups can be an issue.  IMO it’s all about the timing of your arrival.  What are your exact plans time wise?  Are you driving yourselves or are you coming by other transportation?

The secret is to arrive between 10 and 10:30.  As the day progresses traffic backs up on the port road.  Earlier this year I chose to arrive later because Anthem was undergoing a deep cleaning.  Big mistake.  It took about an hour to go from the light rail station to the drop off.  There ended up being no boarding delays at all so I could have come much earlier.  The relatively short security lines and the IPad check in are very quick and they just keep people moving through the process and onto the ship. The Compass times show that the food venues are expecting folks at 11 am and the boarding usually meets that time.

3 hours ago, Mack and June said:

In October of 2018 we experienced distressingly long embarkation lines for Royal Carribean. Never in our 15 year crusing history have we had such a problem. 

Has anyone since experienced this problem at Cape Liberty? 

We just got back from the Anthem last week and had no problems whatsoever for embarkation.

We arrived around 10:15 am and encountered no lines to drop baggage and we were able to quickly park the car.  We were onboard the ship by 11 am— even though we had received an email that the ship would have delayed embarkation due to a USCG inspection.

Easy peasy!

Just wanted to double check my directions to Cape Liberty. We will be staying in Parsippany, NJ the night before the cruise on July 28, 2019.  We will drive to the port on the 28th which is a Sunday.  Based on that are these directions still good?

287 to 24 to 78 and then exit 14 A

Anything we need to be aware of?

As always thanks in advance!