CAPE LIBERTY (and NYC) 411-VERSION 5!!!

megr1125

On 7/8/2019 at 4:07 PM, 138east said:

What exact date and time does your flight arrive?  The problem with EWR hotels is that many hotels that offer free breakfast have no other food service and there is no place you can easily walk to to get food except maybe a neighboring hotel.  Hampton Inn is one of those hotels.  Give me your date, number of people, hotel budget,  bed size requirements, and any other considerations and I’ll look at options.

Could you provide a link for “Go”?  The feedback on this board is that most folks are using Uber/Lyft.

We arrive at 11:15 am and having read more of your tips, we have changed hotels, comfort and safety are our foremost concerns.  For about 100 more we are at the Embassy Suites, deciding a restaurant in house is best, we do like their style and feel the breakfast and Happy Hour will help offset the difference.  Also they have a $20 pp shuttle to the pier.

Will await your thoughts as there still is time to change.

2 hours ago, winky12 said:

We arrive at 11:15 am and having read more of your tips, we have changed hotels, comfort and safety are our foremost concerns.  For about 100 more we are at the Embassy Suites, deciding a restaurant in house is best, we do like their style and feel the breakfast and Happy Hour will help offset the difference.  Also they have a $20 pp shuttle to the pier.

Will await your thoughts as there still is time to change.

Embassy Suites is an excellent choice.  You will also have a choice of restaurants near the Jersey Garden Mall like Ruby Tuesday’s, Applebee’s, Ihop, Johnny Rockets, and the Mall food court.

Hi, thanks for this very informative thread. We are flying into EWR Saturday 10/5 for Sunday 10/6 sailing on Summit. I read and searched but saw no mention of Renaissance Newark Airport. Is it awful? We are 2 adults, and prefer Marriott properties for points reasons. I see the Renaissance at $140 nonrefundable for that night. Our flight gets in late afternoon, and we will head to the port early so we don't really care too much about restaurants, etc. Just need a comfortable, safe place to sleep. Is there someplace else you would recommend instead? TIA!

6 hours ago, kw@sea said:

Hi, thanks for this very informative thread. We are flying into EWR Saturday 10/5 for Sunday 10/6 sailing on Summit. I read and searched but saw no mention of Renaissance Newark Airport. Is it awful? We are 2 adults, and prefer Marriott properties for points reasons. I see the Renaissance at $140 nonrefundable for that night. Our flight gets in late afternoon, and we will head to the port early so we don't really care too much about restaurants, etc. Just need a comfortable, safe place to sleep. Is there someplace else you would recommend instead? TIA!

A search for “Renaissance” in this forum turns up a number of mentions, including this recent thread:

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:02 AM, 138east said:

Let’s look at it another way and forget the shuttle buses and the car seats.  With 2 very small children why aren’t you just paying the $176 for the convenience of parking at the port for an 8 day cruise?  IMO given what you’re looking for, the very urban EWR area just isn’t going to give it to you.  You have Marriott points.  Look at Harmon Meadows in Secaucus - http://www.harmonmeadow.com/PublishingImages/HMDirectory.pdf   The Courtyard and Residence Inn there are 25,000 points for your date.  This puts you in a much nicer suburban area with stores and restaurants and free parking (all the EWR hotels charge for parking).  

I am glad you posted this. We are staying at one of the Harmon Meadow properties for 2 nights pre-cruise due to our hotel loyalty club getting us a deal we couldn't refuse, + free parking for those 2 nights, and we have researched the public bus that makes a stop right in front of the hotel with frequent service across the river all day and well into the night. We just purchased tix for a Broadway show and definitely appreciate the Port Authority Bus Terminal location only a few blocks from the theatre.

The fortune we are saving (two rooms, two nights, parking included) with this strategy as opposed to the cost difference of being a bit closer to port or more in the center of the NYC action, is paying for both the port parking and the show tickets.

We stayed at Exchange Place previously and had a gorgeous view of the Hudson and Manhattan. In many ways it was, for that trip, the perfect location, but I didn't like the expensive valet parking (still don't know where they took the car but it was offsite).  It would be nearly impossible for us to find anywhere near there to park the large pickup we are driving and the price for our dates is drastically higher than what I managed in Harmon Meadow.

We are just parking at the port due to my mom's limited mobility. The fewer shuttles and other people we need to rely on, the better.

Thank you for the help and affirmation!

Thanks, Turtles, I searched this thread but not the whole forum, my bad. The thread you linked to is very helpful, and I think answers my question... the Renaissance is so bad someone walked out! We’ll try someplace else. 

I used Trinity Reservations for park, shuttle and hotel. We stayed at Springhill Suites. Nice hot. We actually stayed there for three nights (2 on our own). Bruce was very easy to work with. He even unexpectedly took care of us about a service we changed our mind about. I highly recommend Trinity Reservations!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kw@sea said:

Thanks, Turtles, I searched this thread but not the whole forum, my bad. The thread you linked to is very helpful, and I think answers my question... the Renaissance is so bad someone walked out! We’ll try someplace else. 

No worries and glad I could help.  This thread is so long that folks often start a separate thread with a very specific question so that it grabs the attention of people who might not be reading this thread.    

BTW, I recommend the Embassy Suites in Elizabeth (official name Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport).

Edited by Turtles06

6 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I am glad you posted this. We are staying at one of the Harmon Meadow properties for 2 nights pre-cruise due to our hotel loyalty club getting us a deal we couldn't refuse, + free parking for those 2 nights, and we have researched the public bus that makes a stop right in front of the hotel with frequent service across the river all day and well into the night. We just purchased tix for a Broadway show and definitely appreciate the Port Authority Bus Terminal location only a few blocks from the theatre.

The fortune we are saving (two rooms, two nights, parking included) with this strategy as opposed to the cost difference of being a bit closer to port or more in the center of the NYC action, is paying for both the port parking and the show tickets.

We stayed at Exchange Place previously and had a gorgeous view of the Hudson and Manhattan. In many ways it was, for that trip, the perfect location, but I didn't like the expensive valet parking (still don't know where they took the car but it was offsite).  It would be nearly impossible for us to find anywhere near there to park the large pickup we are driving and the price for our dates is drastically higher than what I managed in Harmon Meadow.

We are just parking at the port due to my mom's limited mobility. The fewer shuttles and other people we need to rely on, the better.

Thank you for the help and affirmation!

Thanks for posting this.  Everyone’s needs are different.  The secret is to identify what you need and tailor a strategy that will work for you.  It sounds like you have picked the strategy that will suit your needs best.

Cape Liberty is not a Florida Cruiseport.  The closest hotel is about 8 miles away.  The NY metro area is not cheap, parking is at a premium, and housing a car can be an expensive liability. The Cruiseport parking rate is a good deal for the shorter cruises.  The whole area is not a vacation destination.  It’s highly urban and industrialized and the airport hotels reflect this.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2019 at 4:42 PM, 138east said:

Personally I’d consider booking the Ramada with trinity and spending a few bucks for a light breakfast.  Hotel is about 8 miles closer to the port.  Boarding is very quick and you can do an early lunch.  The Holiday Inn Carteret is right on the NJ Turnpike. When you debarked you will spend more time getting back to Carteret and then retracing your route north again.  Bruce at Trinity can be very helpful if you wish to change.

For a post cruise hotel I’d look at the La Quinta on Lighting Way in Secaucus, NJ which will give you the free parking and free breakfast.  There is frequent bus service for $4.25/pp to Port Authority in NYC ($1.95 if you’re 62+)

http://www.harmonmeadow.com/PublishingImages/HMDirectory.pdf

https://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=HomePageTo - bus 320

Thanks you for replying.  I've read the reviews for the Ramada think we will stay with our Trinity reservation at the Holiday Inn. Some of the most recent ones were bad.  

After reading reviews of the La Quinta on Lighting Way I"m a bit hesitant to book there for our 3 nights stay after we get off the ship on the 22nd.  Priceline has a special for $114 on one of 3 hotels, the Clifton La Quinta,  Homewood Suites East Rutherford or Hampton Inn Carlstadt at the Meadowlands. My guess is that the deal is for the La Quinta because they had a fire this spring and it sounded like they were closed for awhile.  So my question is if any of them would be a good  choice and location to take transportation into NYC?

On 6/28/2019 at 4:42 PM, 138east said:

Hotwire has a similar special right now that is about $92/night tax included.  The 3 hotels are La Quinta, Hilton Gardens, or Hyatt House - all Secaucus

I really don’t know how to advise you.  The bus fare from Secaucus is almost $2/pp cheaper each way and the travel time will be less.  The ride to and from the Clifton area hotels is scheduled at about 40 minutes, but could take longer if there is traffic.  Take a look at the train service as well.

I always take the trip advisor reviews with a grain of salt.  There is a lot around the LaQuinta Secaucus in Harmon Meadows once you return from your exhausting day in NYC.  Two years ago we stayed in the La Quinta Stamford for 2 nights with DD and 3 GDG’s.  Took the train into the city one day and drove in the next on 4th of July weekend.  It was the only cost effective way to do it with 6 people and we were very tired.

• Like 1

One more suggestion.  If you plan to go to the Statue of Liberty and/or Ellis Island and lower Manhattan, do that on Sunday.  Drive to Liberty State Park at exit 14B where you can park for $7 (a total steal).  Ferry to SOL and or EI, but return to Manhattan to explore and see the 911 Memorial, 911 Museum, Freedom Tower, Wall St, etc.  Take the Liberty Landing ferry (http://www.libertylandingferry.com/) back to Liberty State Park and then drive to your hotel.  The next two days you can spend in midtown Manhattan with no need to get yourselves all the way downtown to sightsee there.

11 hours ago, ALVINF said:

I used Trinity Reservations for park, shuttle and hotel. We stayed at Springhill Suites. Nice hot. We actually stayed there for three nights (2 on our own). Bruce was very easy to work with. He even unexpectedly took care of us about a service we changed our mind about. I highly recommend Trinity Reservations!!

In the above post, I meant to say “Nice hotel”, NOT “Nice hot”. Sorry for the typo. 

On 7/6/2019 at 5:54 AM, 138east said:

Doubletree Hilton Penn Station is right at the beginning of the World Trade Center PATH Line.  It would be a good choice.  Hotwire is offering a 4* hotel in the Jersey City area right now for $97.  Can’t figure out what hotel it is, but it would be a good hotel and close to transportation, so check it out right now before it disappears.

Hi 138east,

Thank you so much for this find.  Although when I got there, it had already disappeared, so I kept checking.  It appeared again last night and after checking a few photos (because I wanted to make sure it was on PATH), I found it to be the Westin Jersey City Newport.  Sure enough after US$127.54 ($97 plus tax and $5 insurance-not sure about it) later, we are booked into Westin Jersey City Newport on PATH.  Apparently  no free WifI and free breakfast, but with over $100 saving, I can buy a lot of breakfast and wifi.  Thank you again.  

Any recommendation for a modest priced restaurant (dinner)?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't yet figured out how to search this thread so I'm just going to ask. We will visit the WTC Memorial and museum and then want to do some other sight seeing. On our list is the New York City Fire Museum (our son is a firefighter) and then go to St. Patrick's Cathedral and Empire State Building. How do we get from the Fire Museum, which is close to the WTC museum, to the Empire State bldg then on to St. Patrick's Cathedral? Thanks in advance! 

7 minutes ago, artvlay said:

I would like to hear about different parking options for cruise out of Bayonne.  Seeing if there is a reliable and reasonably priced option for the 14 night cruise. 

Park at the port. Safe and convenient.  

2 hours ago, artvlay said:

I would like to hear about different parking options for cruise out of Bayonne.  Seeing if there is a reliable and reasonably priced option for the 14 night cruise. 

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Park at the port. Safe and convenient.  

Ditto.  There is no other recommended option other than a park/sleep/cruise hotel at Newark Airport.  Trinity reservations offers the Ramada Plaza for $227 tax included for 2 people with 21 days parking and round trip port transportation.

2 hours ago, artvlay said:

Trinity  has the same rate for the Ramada Plaza in Newark and Holiday Inn Carteret. Which would you prefer?

I have stayed at the Ramada property and it was fine.  Before it was a Ramada it was a Holiday Inn.  It’s an airport hotel and the clientele is primarily folks who are flying (or cruising) and airline crews.  

I’ve passed Carteret on the Turnpike a zillion times and it would never be on my radar as a place to stay. I’m sure the HI is fine, but I personally wouldn’t ever choose to stay in that area.

One more comment.  Trinity has arranged to use the Ramada shuttles for the airport transfer.  Going over the shuttle held 12-16 people and was very spacious - a small shuttle bus with an aisle and 2 seats on each side with plenty of room for luggage in the back.  Coming back it was a large van that held fewer people with seats three across.

Another consideration - the Ramada is 9 miles from Cape Liberty with direct access to the I78 turnpike extension.  The Holiday Inn is 16-17 miles from Cape Liberty - about 9 miles on the I95 turnpike and 8 mi on I78.

On 7/26/2019 at 12:01 PM, Shekim said:

I haven't yet figured out how to search this thread so I'm just going to ask. We will visit the WTC Memorial and museum and then want to do some other sight seeing. On our list is the New York City Fire Museum (our son is a firefighter) and then go to St. Patrick's Cathedral and Empire State Building. How do we get from the Fire Museum, which is close to the WTC museum, to the Empire State bldg then on to St. Patrick's Cathedral? Thanks in advance! 

Download Google Maps and they will give you live directions. Here is what it gave me this Sun A.M.  If you don’t want to do the subway, you can take uber but during the week traffic is horrible. Another idea is the HoHo bus if you want to see sights along the way but it’s exoensive. 

E4499B0B-676C-4DEE-9808-EAF5BBFBDDE1.png

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 12:31 PM, ALVINF said:

We stayed there in  June,  Great Hotel, great shuttle, great service from Bruce