CAPE LIBERTY (and NYC) 411-VERSION 5!!!

megr1125

1 hour ago, vavasmom said:

I am hoping someone can provide hotel ideas. Normally we stay on International (Gilchmer Realty) in Elizabeth near the mall but that does not seem to be a good location for accessing the PATH to the city.

Look at hotels in Jersey City. Residence Inn is very close to a PATH station as are Hyatt locations near the waterfront and Double Tree. You will have spectacular views of lower Manhattan. PATH  is only $2.75 and just a short ride into NYC. The PATH station at WTC is closed on weekends but the other PATH stations in NYC are not. No need for the ferry if you are going other than WTC station.

https://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

1 hour ago, meadowlander said:

Look at hotels in Jersey City. Residence Inn is very close to a PATH station as are Hyatt locations near the waterfront and Double Tree. You will have spectacular views of lower Manhattan. PATH  is only $2.75 and just a short ride into NYC. The PATH station at WTC is closed on weekends but the other PATH stations in NYC are not. No need for the ferry if you are going other than WTC station.

https://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Jersey City a few years ago and it was a great location with both PATH and water taxi options to get over to Manhattan. Parking was valet only and a bit pricey. We had beautiful views of the city from our room; at night it was just stunning.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Gurus!

We (Hubby & I ) are sailing on the Adventure of the Seas 11/05/2020 Repo from NJ to Galveston.

Flying to EWR 11/04/2020 arriving early afternoon.

We need:

1. Hotel w/free airport shuttle. 2. Decent hotel about $150.00 for 1 night, with breakfast. 3. Hotel shuttle to Cape Lib. Port.

Do not need:

1. Restaurants for dinner. 2. Sightseeing (we are originally from NYC & go often).

Thanks in advance !

-arleen

3 hours ago, leen50 said:

Hello Gurus!

We (Hubby & I ) are sailing on the Adventure of the Seas 11/05/2020 Repo from NJ to Galveston.

Flying to EWR 11/04/2020 arriving early afternoon.

We need:

1. Hotel w/free airport shuttle. 2. Decent hotel about $150.00 for 1 night, with breakfast. 3. Hotel shuttle to Cape Lib. Port.

Do not need:

1. Restaurants for dinner. 2. Sightseeing (we are originally from NYC & go often).

Thanks in advance !

-arleen

All in for $150 including tax is going to be difficult for both a hotel room and port transportation. 

1). You may be looking just a bit too early.  After New Years might be better as all the options are not there.

2). All the hotels that are truly “Newark Airport hotels”  offer free shuttles.

3) Only a very few hotels offer a shuttle to Cape Liberty and they charge for it.  Folks use Uber or Lyft to get to the port.  I have heard prices quoted in the $25-40 range.

Having said all that, what hotel chains do you think offer “decent hotels”?

Are you willing to book through a third party?  Are you willing to prepay the hotel?  Are you arriving after having had dinner (Some hotels only have takeout options for an evening meal and no nearby food at all)?

4 hours ago, 138east said:

All in for $150 including tax is going to be difficult for both a hotel room and port transportation. 

1). You may be looking just a bit too early.  After New Years might be better as all the options are not there.

2). All the hotels that are truly “Newark Airport hotels”  offer free shuttles.

3) Only a very few hotels offer a shuttle to Cape Liberty and they charge for it.  Folks use Uber or Lyft to get to the port.  I have heard prices quoted in the $25-40 range.

Having said all that, what hotel chains do you think offer “decent hotels”?

Are you willing to book through a third party?  Are you willing to prepay the hotel?  Are you arriving after having had dinner (Some hotels only have takeout options for an evening meal and no nearby food at all)?

Thanks, sorry I wasn't clear. I know that port shuttle is extra. Hampton EWR pre-pay 2 Queens=$127 + tax. Not bad. Best Western Plus Newark West pre-pay $130. Think we will take the Hampton, unless I hear some negatives.

Re: food. We hang at the United Club for lunch. Then grab a big salad at airport "to go". That's enough for us until hotel breakfast & 11 days of cruise food.

6 hours ago, leen50 said:

Thanks, sorry I wasn't clear. I know that port shuttle is extra. Hampton EWR pre-pay 2 Queens=$127 + tax. Not bad. Best Western Plus Newark West pre-pay $130. Think we will take the Hampton, unless I hear some negatives.

Re: food. We hang at the United Club for lunch. Then grab a big salad at airport "to go". That's enough for us until hotel breakfast & 11 days of cruise food.

You’ve done your research.  The Hampton Inn would be fine.  It’s an airport hotel.  It does not have food service.  There should be no surprises.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigeck said:

Just a quick question. I'm booked at the Robert Treat in April. Is the Path train safe at night or is it better we get an Uber

the PATH train is generally safe, but where are riding PATH to or from? You don't want to walk between your hotel and Newark Penn Station, the nearest PATH stop.

27 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

the PATH train is generally safe, but where are riding PATH to or from? You don't want to walk between your hotel and Newark Penn Station, the nearest PATH stop.

I would be coming from Manhatten to the Robert Treat.

Thinking about Wtc to Newark then a cab to RT. Probably about 9pm

Open to better suggestions though

36 minutes ago, bigeck said:

I would be coming from Manhatten to the Robert Treat.

Thinking about Wtc to Newark then a cab to RT. Probably about 9pm

Open to better suggestions though

That’s fine, that’s early, my older teens and young adult children take the path to Penn much later and feel comfortable.

43 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

That’s fine, that’s early, my older teens and young adult children take the path to Penn much later and feel comfortable.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

I plan on doing the One World Observatory then going back to the hotel

The Robert Treat hotel shuttle will pick you up at night from Newark Penn Station, but you can wait quite a while for it if it’s off doing an airport run.  The Robert Treat is only about 7 Blocks away, but after dark a short cab ride would be prudent and inexpensive.  Newark Penn is busy, but IMO you would not feel comfortable hanging out waiting for the shuttle and should pay for the inexpensive cab ride.  Cabs are usually plentiful by the station.

7 hours ago, 138east said:

The Robert Treat hotel shuttle will pick you up at night from Newark Penn Station, but you can wait quite a while for it if it’s off doing an airport run.  The Robert Treat is only about 7 Blocks away, but after dark a short cab ride would be prudent and inexpensive.  Newark Penn is busy, but IMO you would not feel comfortable hanging out waiting for the shuttle and should pay for the inexpensive cab ride.  Cabs are usually plentiful by the station.

Thanks. Never thought about the shuttle. Ill have a look if its about or as you say, just get a taxi

Am planning on staying at one of the hotels in Elizabeth NJ by International Blvd.  The one's I'm looking at all seem to have shuttles from the airport,  though I haven't planned anything yet that will take me from the hotel to the port.  I know some have a shuttle you can pay for,  but I was also wondering what Uber is like in the area.  I've used in in Florida/Orlando and it was great,  but where I live it hasn't been all that reliable for me (I live in a smaller town).   And after the cruise is over I'm going to go to the airport (my flight is in the evening about 8ish at night)    Assuming I shouldn't have any problems getting a taxi or Uber then either?

Thanks.

19 hours ago, cantgetaname said:

Am planning on staying at one of the hotels in Elizabeth NJ by International Blvd.  The one's I'm looking at all seem to have shuttles from the airport,  though I haven't planned anything yet that will take me from the hotel to the port.  I know some have a shuttle you can pay for,  but I was also wondering what Uber is like in the area.  I've used in in Florida/Orlando and it was great,  but where I live it hasn't been all that reliable for me (I live in a smaller town).   And after the cruise is over I'm going to go to the airport (my flight is in the evening about 8ish at night)    Assuming I shouldn't have any problems getting a taxi or Uber then either?

Thanks.

Uber has a large presence in the area.

My husband, son, and I are leaving from Cape Liberty in late July.  At first I booked from LGA on Southwest, but then realized what a pain it was going to be as far as transportation goes.  So, I had to book another flight (sigh) on American to EWR. We aren't arriving until 1AM.  We have points through Choice Hotels, so I'd like to use a free hotel room.  There are several in the area.  Any suggestions on which one is best?  Since we are arriving so late, we won't be doing any sight seeing or even eating dinner.  Just basically a safe place to sleep that's easy to get in and out of.  Also, will it be easy to get an Uber at 1AM? What about getting one in the morning when everyone else is trying to get one to get to the port.  Is there an optimal time to go?  We bought The Key, so we have priority boarding and a special lunch menu that I'd like to enjoy if possible.   I'm trying to minimize costs since our flights are sooo much more expensive than I had planned for.  Thanks!

21 minutes ago, travelinmoma said:

My husband, son, and I are leaving from Cape Liberty in late July.  At first I booked from LGA on Southwest, but then realized what a pain it was going to be as far as transportation goes.  So, I had to book another flight (sigh) on American to EWR. We aren't arriving until 1AM.  We have points through Choice Hotels, so I'd like to use a free hotel room.  There are several in the area.  Any suggestions on which one is best?  Since we are arriving so late, we won't be doing any sight seeing or even eating dinner.  Just basically a safe place to sleep that's easy to get in and out of.  Also, will it be easy to get an Uber at 1AM? What about getting one in the morning when everyone else is trying to get one to get to the port.  Is there an optimal time to go?  We bought The Key, so we have priority boarding and a special lunch menu that I'd like to enjoy if possible.   I'm trying to minimize costs since our flights are sooo much more expensive than I had planned for.  Thanks!

I should also add that we are comfortable taking public transportation from the airport if that's an option.  I'd also like a hotel with a place nearby to buy some pop before getting on the cruise (but that's not a deal breaker). 

Parking Question:  I'll be driving to the Port for a solo February cruise on Anthem.   I plan on parking in the Port's garage.  I may drag my suitcase off myself on the last morning, so I can hit the road asap for the 7 hour drive home.  

My last cruise out of Bayonne was before they built the parking garage.  Is it easier to drop off your suitcase(s) with the porters and then drive to the garage, or would it be easier to park and then take your suitcase to the porters?

Any tips about arrival time?  I don't care about waiting to board -- just want to be sure I don't get knocked over by crowds LOL and maybe can find a handicapped spot in the garage. 

1 hour ago, Truluv said:

Parking Question:  I'll be driving to the Port for a solo February cruise on Anthem.   I plan on parking in the Port's garage.  I may drag my suitcase off myself on the last morning, so I can hit the road asap for the 7 hour drive home.  

My last cruise out of Bayonne was before they built the parking garage.  Is it easier to drop off your suitcase(s) with the porters and then drive to the garage, or would it be easier to park and then take your suitcase to the porters?

Any tips about arrival time?  I don't care about waiting to board -- just want to be sure I don't get knocked over by crowds LOL and maybe can find a handicapped spot in the garage. 

It would be easier to drop off luggage first.  Handicapped parking should be available on the ground level of the parking garage.  Target time to arrive is between 10-10:30 am.  Boarding usually starts by 11 for Anthem and the traffic hasn’t backed up yet.  Food venues open at 11 am and rooms are usually available at 1 pm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, travelinmoma said:

What is the exact date you need a room?  Which Choice hotel properties are you looking at?  I’m not seeing any Choice hotels anywhere near the airport.  That means you’d have to take a cab or Uber to the hotel.  Newark is a highly industrialized urban area, so you might not want to be running around so late at night.