CAPE LIBERTY (and NYC) 411-VERSION 5!!!

megr1125

(

1 hour ago, sellwingri said:

How much is a taxi from a hotel near Newark to the port and from the port to Newark?

A taxi will run $50-60.  That’s why Uber and Lyft are so popular because they run about half that for a basic ride for 2 people with not a massive amount of luggage.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning:classic_smile:.....I want to post about my stay at The BEEKMAN before my recent cruise.  It is BEAUTIFUL...….an old building renovated and I loved it.   It is located in Lower Manhattan on Nassau Street and is within 5-7 minutes walk to Ground Zero and the 9/11 Museum.   I stayed for 1 evening pre-cruise and also, there is an Italian restaurant called Da Claudio right around the corner (literally)  a minute walk...….that is delicious. I had dinner there before going to see "BEAUTIFUL" on Broadway.  (LOVE IT too). 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 7:17 AM, Lois R said:

Good morning:classic_smile:.....I want to post about my stay at The BEEKMAN before my recent cruise.  It is BEAUTIFUL...….an old building renovated and I loved it.   It is located in Lower Manhattan on Nassau Street and is within 5-7 minutes walk to Ground Zero and the 9/11 Museum.   I stayed for 1 evening pre-cruise and also, there is an Italian restaurant called Da Claudio right around the corner (literally)  a minute walk...….that is delicious. I had dinner there before going to see "BEAUTIFUL" on Broadway.  (LOVE IT too). 

Lois I’m glad you enjoyed your stay in the Financial District. I’m always recommending the Financial District, I love the area. Especially in weekends, holidays and the summer one can find very good deals in high quality properties. Also as you mentioned there is no problem finding good places to eat down there. Perhaps at one time it was a ghost town in the evenings and weekends but no longer the case. 

Weehawken Port Imperial Ferry term to Port Liberty cruise term..
anyone know est cost by lyft or uber ??  I have tried the uber fare est but it's not working for me..
plan on taking a bolt bus to NY city, Jarvis center then a lyft to the ferry and then a 2nd lyft to cruise terminal or is there a better more cost effective way for two with 2 carry on's and 1 large suit case ?

Edited by bob4cruise
sp

2 hours ago, bob4cruise said:

Weehawken Port Imperial Ferry term to Port Liberty cruise term..
anyone know est cost by lyft or uber ??  I have tried the uber fare est but it's not working for me..
plan on taking a bolt bus to NY city, Jarvis center then a lyft to the ferry and then a 2nd lyft to cruise terminal or is there a better more cost effective way for two with 2 carry on's and 1 large suit case ?

At Weehawken Port Imperial you can connect with the Hudson-Bergen light rail.  For $2.25/pp you can take the light rail to Hoboken and transfer to the 8th St Bayonne train or take the West Side Ave train and transfer to the 8th St Hoboken train at any station from Newport to Liberty State Park. 

Personally I would Uber or Lyft to the PATH Station at 32nd & 6th, take the PATH train to Hoboken, and transfer to the light rail there.  This is accessible with luggage.  You get off at 34th St Bayonne and Uber/Lyft into the port or call a local taxi.  I’ve done this numbers of times and can provide specific accessibility details.  The outbound trains are always empty after 9 am.  Cost would be $5/pp plus the 2 Uber rides, which would be much less than the ferry route.

On 4/29/2019 at 8:42 PM, 138east said:

At Weehawken Port Imperial you can connect with the Hudson-Bergen light rail.  For $2.25/pp you can take the light rail to Hoboken and transfer to the 8th St Bayonne train or take the West Side Ave train and transfer to the 8th St Hoboken train at any station from Newport to Liberty State Park. 

Personally I would Uber or Lyft to the PATH Station at 32nd & 6th, take the PATH train to Hoboken, and transfer to the light rail there.  This is accessible with luggage.  You get off at 34th St Bayonne and Uber/Lyft into the port or call a local taxi.  I’ve done this numbers of times and can provide specific accessibility details.  The outbound trains are always empty after 9 am.  Cost would be $5/pp plus the 2 Uber rides, which would be much less than the ferry route.

thanks for the info, I'll have to research this some..  I want to save $$ but don't want to it to be a burden or pain to save the $$...
is the PATH Station at 32nd & 6th in NY city ?? { 33rd street station }  the bolt bus drops us off at 11th Ave & W 36th in NYC at 10am ... so I see on the path maps the line is color blue, so would that be called the blue line also in the train stations ? the light rail is Hudson–Bergen Light Rail correct ?

1 hour ago, bob4cruise said:

thanks for the info, I'll have to research this some..  I want to save $$ but don't want to it to be a burden or pain to save the $$...
is the PATH Station at 32nd & 6th in NY city ?? { 33rd street station }  the bolt bus drops us off at 11th Ave & W 36th in NYC at 10am ... so I see on the path maps the line is color blue, so would that be called the blue line also in the train stations ? the light rail is Hudson–Bergen Light Rail correct ?

The accessible entrance to PATH is on the west side of 6th Ave just north of 32nd St.  It’s just an elevator entrance and is clearly marked.  http://subwaynut.com/path/33/index.php.  I have used this station several times with cruise luggage.  The accessible ramp is on the far right as you face the trains.  I like this trip on a cruise morning because the trains are almost empty.  Hoboken has a historic train station and a great view of NYC.

The trains are called by their destination, so it’s the Hoboken train, the 33rd St train, the World Trade train, and the Journal Square train.  The light rail is the Hudson-Bergen light rail.

39 minutes ago, 138east said:

The accessible entrance to PATH is on the west side of 6th Ave just north of 32nd St.  It’s just an elevator entrance and is clearly marked.  http://subwaynut.com/path/33/index.php.  I have used this station several times with cruise luggage.  The accessible ramp is on the far right as you face the trains.  I like this trip on a cruise morning because the trains are almost empty.  Hoboken has a historic train station and a great view of NYC.

The trains are called by their destination, so it’s the Hoboken train, the 33rd St train, the World Trade train, and the Journal Square train.  The light rail is the Hudson-Bergen light rail.

thank you for this info,  bob

Hey folks,  I am driving in from NC and got a little concerned about where to stay and parking and all that, and after reading this thread got the info i needed.  I went to Trinity Reservations and then was having issues with the website but I called them and Bruce made it all good.  I saw where some of you mentioned that company and they filled the bill.  If i sail outta NY again they will be the second site i go to right after booking a cruise.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mredandchis said:

Hey folks,  I am driving in from NC and got a little concerned about where to stay and parking and all that, and after reading this thread got the info i needed.  I went to Trinity Reservations and then was having issues with the website but I called them and Bruce made it all good.  I saw where some of you mentioned that company and they filled the bill.  If i sail outta NY again they will be the second site i go to right after booking a cruise.  

Thanks for the feedback.  Bruce has always answered my questions about their offerings for Cape Liberty.  Trinity is a faith based company that is a pleasure to deal with.

On 5/1/2019 at 12:58 PM, 138east said:

how long should I allow for this return trip so I can buy bus tickets ?

3 minutes ago, bob4cruise said:

how long should I allow for this return trip so I can buy bus tickets ?

What time does Summit dock?  Sunday morning?  What bus times are available?

On a Sunday public transit doesn’t run as frequently.  Sometimes it’s hard to get transportation to the light rail station.  Would your bus company let you get on an earlier bus with a later timed ticket?

29 minutes ago, 138east said:

What time does Summit dock?  Sunday morning?  What bus times are available?

On a Sunday public transit doesn’t run as frequently.  Sometimes it’s hard to get transportation to the light rail station.  Would your bus company let you get on an earlier bus with a later timed ticket?

bus would leave NYC 36th & 11 ave   at 10:45, 12:45 & every two hours. and yes bus will let u use an earlier bus with a later timed ticket if there is room on that bus..

17 minutes ago, bob4cruise said:

bus would leave NYC 36th & 11 ave   at 10:45, 12:45 & every two hours. and yes bus will let u use an earlier bus with a later timed ticket if there is room on that bus..

What time is Summit supposed to dock? 

9 minutes ago, bob4cruise said:

8am  but I don't like to be the 1st of the ship, so I would say we would get off at 9am

I would probably buy a 12:45 ticket unless you have private travel insurance that covers trip interruption.  Your Trip has multiple legs - cruise terminal to light rail, light rail to Hoboken, Hoboken to 33rd St, and cab to Port Authority. If your connections don’t go smoothly, your travel time could be more than you anticipate relying on printed schedules.

2 minutes ago, 138east said:

I would probably buy a 12:45 ticket unless you have private travel insurance that covers trip interruption.  Your Trip has multiple legs - cruise terminal to light rail, light rail to Hoboken, Hoboken to 33rd St, and cab to Port Authority. If your connections don’t go smoothly, your travel time could be more than you anticipate relying on printed schedules.

thanks for all the info, I will plan on the trip taking 3 plus hours, would that be a good time to figure getting to the ship too !

13 minutes ago, bob4cruise said:

thanks for all the info, I will plan on the trip taking 3 plus hours, would that be a good time to figure getting to the ship too !

What time does Summit sail?  It’s on a Wednesday, right?  You’re coming from ?Cherry Hill?

27 minutes ago, 138east said:

What time does Summit sail?  It’s on a Wednesday, right?  You’re coming from ?Cherry Hill?

yes Wednesday June 5, and coming from cherry hill nj ... sail time is 4pm  so need to be on ship @ 2pm  ...
this is going to be a long day,  2hr bus ride and 3 hour between unber, train, light rail & taxi to ship

8 minutes ago, bob4cruise said:

yes Wednesday June 5, and coming from cherry hill nj ... sail time is 4pm  so need to be on ship @ 2pm  ...
this is going to be a long day,  2hr bus ride and 3 hour between unber, train, light rail & taxi to ship

What time is your bus?  On a Wed you want to take the Hoboken PATH train from 33rd St.  At 33rd St walk to the other end of the platform if you have time.  At Hoboken take the elevator up to the street level and walk left into the station area past all the NJ Transit trains to the light rail.  Be sure you are on the 8th St Bayonne train to 34th St Bayonne.  You buy your tickets from a machine (are you eligible for special fares?) and you validate them in another machine before boarding.  There are no turnstiles or ticket takers, but they do random checks for valid tickets.

The Bayonne cab companies provide the livery service for the Cape Liberty Taxi Dispatcher.  Fare should be $6/pp. 

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & VanService

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

I see a lot of road and parking suggestions here.

how about, we are flying into Newark the day before our cruise and will appreciate suggestions for a hotel, with a shuttle from the airport and a shuttle to the port the following day.

also are there shuttles from the ship/port to the airport after the cruise a d how much time should we allow after disembarking and our flight?

thank you.

1 hour ago, yogi/buff said:

I see a lot of road and parking suggestions here.

how about, we are flying into Newark the day before our cruise and will appreciate suggestions for a hotel, with a shuttle from the airport and a shuttle to the port the following day.

also are there shuttles from the ship/port to the airport after the cruise a d how much time should we allow after disembarking and our flight?

thank you.

What exact date do you need a hotel?  Hotel budget? Number of people?  Bed size requirements?  Any NYC sightseeing plans?  Estimated arrival time and dinner requirements?  

Only a few hotels offer a port shuttle and it isn’t free.  Uber has become very popular with cruisers to get to Cape Liberty.  Newark Airport is not a vacation destination.  Some hotels offer free breakfast, but have no restaurant.  The closest restaurant might be in a neighboring hotel.  There are almost no shops or services other than the Jersey Gardens Mall.  All the airport hotels offer a free shuttle, but you have to take the Airtrain with luggage from the terminal to the P4 Station to connect with the shuttle.

So it’s important to be specific about your requirements.

• Like 1

Thank you for your input.

To me the hotel rate isn’t as important as the shuttle or lyft connivence.

so if I understand it’s -plane, to airtrain to P4 statin, to hotel shuttle.

the day of the cruise ,the hotel may have a shuttle, or not, to the cruise terminal,if not lyft maybe my best option.

after the cruise, it may be best to get a lyft ride.

thank you again and happy cruising.

1 hour ago, yogi/buff said:

Thank you for your input.

To me the hotel rate isn’t as important as the shuttle or lyft connivence.

so if I understand it’s -plane, to airtrain to P4 statin, to hotel shuttle.

the day of the cruise ,the hotel may have a shuttle, or not, to the cruise terminal,if not lyft maybe my best option.

after the cruise, it may be best to get a lyft ride.

thank you again and happy cruising.

If you post your exact date we’ll recommend some hotels.  The hotels on International Blvd have access to Ruby Tuesdays, Applebee’s, Johnny Rockets, IHOP, and the Mall food court at Jersey Gardens Mall.  These are Embassy Suites, Courtyard Elizabeth, Residence Inn, and Country Inns.  Embassy Suites and Country Inns offer shuttles for $20 and 17.50/pp each way.  Trinityreservations.com offers fly, sleep, cruise options at the Ramada, Crowne Plaza, and Springhill Suites that include round trip port shuttle transportation.

• Like 2