Reservations for Specialty Dining?

evandbob

I saw a thread from December concerning the Edge that is similar to my question.  We are sailing the Equinox 11 day southern this October and purchased a 4 meal package at the specialty restaurants.

I called Celebrity to find out when I could make reservations for the 4 dinners and was told that I could do so once I board the ship. If I had booked just a single meal the agent would assist in making the reservation, but not with a package.

On Carnival, NCL, and MSC, I was always able to pre-book the specialty dinners, so this policy of waiting until one boards to book strikes me as odd.  Is waiting until embarkation day to book specialty restaurants standard S.O.P.???   Or if I call again, will a different agent allow me to pre-book?

I should mention we have booked a balcony cabin, and not an Aqua or Concierge cabin.  TIA!

Standard Practice:

Those that make pre-cruise bookings of individual meals at full price can reserve their day and time when they make their bookings.

Those that book discounted packages must wait until on board to make their reservations.

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

As you board make your way to the speciality restaurants table set up outside Oceanview and make your bookings. We have rarely had a problem getting the days and times we want. However, later in the cruise Murano’s, in particular, can be fully booked and you may struggle for your preferred time in others.

Have a great cruise!

It sounds like the peace of mind of having your reservations made in advance for the exact dates and times that you want is important to you.  How much is that worth? 

For about $100 more, you can cancel your 4 restaurant package and make individual reservations. That’s what I did for my equinox cruise in March. 

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

It sounds like the peace of mind of having your reservations made in advance for the exact dates and times that you want is important to you.  How much is that worth? 

For about $100 more, you can cancel your 4 restaurant package and make individual reservations. That’s what I did for my equinox cruise in March. 

We are actually debating the option of booking individual meals and dropping the package.  Seems ridiculous to do so, especially since other cruise lines allow/encourage the option of pre-booking dates and time for a dining package. 

Oh well. thanks to all who answered!

You probably won't like my reply...

Suite Guests can send the shore side concierge and email with dates and times they desire for specialty restaurants.

I am pretty sure they are managing the limited seating.  Once on the ship, they can direct you to the open seats at less desirable dining times.

CCL does not really offer much in suite benefits so they don't have this issue.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

We booked a 4 night package on the Reflection for our cruise last October because we had a lot of OBC to us. When we boarded we went right to specialty desk and were told there were no times available that suited our schedule. Next stop was guest relations to cancel the package and then on to the spa so Mrs Click could spend the OBC there.  It is a crummy system and I won't do it again. Thankfully we do enjoy the food and service in the MDR.

I've checked booking individually and my times show not available in all specialty restaurants;  pays to book these dining options early.  But CClub was able to book for me. Not sure how this works if you're not Captain's Club, but my 3 night dining pkg was booked through them with dates I requested, except for one which had to be reserved for the first night.  Once on board, I'll go right to my restaurant of choice and try to replace 1st night with the 2nd night.  We're in Concierge/Elite Plus so don't know if that makes any difference. 

Edited by oceangoer2

5 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

We booked a 4 night package on the Reflection for our cruise last October because we had a lot of OBC to us. When we boarded we went right to specialty desk and were told there were no times available that suited our schedule. Next stop was guest relations to cancel the package and then on to the spa so Mrs Click could spend the OBC there.  It is a crummy system and I won't do it again. Thankfully we do enjoy the food and service in the MDR.

And since they raised the prices of the package late last year (e.g. 4-night from $125 to $149) their not much of a deal anyway. With the 3-night now at $129 - that's $43 per night - there's really not much reason to book it unless you use it for all 3 meals in Murano. Only $2 off of Tuscan Grille or Lawn Club and a NEGATIVE discount off of Sushi on 5, the Porch or Silk Harvest!

7 hours ago, evandbob said:

We are actually debating the option of booking individual meals and dropping the package.  Seems ridiculous to do so, especially since other cruise lines allow/encourage the option of pre-booking dates and time for a dining package. 

Oh well. thanks to all who answered!

I was able to make my reservations for six, but my friends maintain that it was because I was in a suite on April's TA...however; when I called recently to check(as I never take anything for granted) I was told they were not there.  Then,  provided my confirmation #'s and date...and wallah, they were sent to the ship and confirmed by the same person who originally sent me the information...you bet I will call again before I cruise, and also check onboard too!

Edited by Lastdance

Our last cruise was a Silhouette TA, we made our dining package reservations onboard, got all the times and restaurants we wanted, save I think the one lunch that we had to do on our second choice day. We boarded late for us (about 2pm) and we were AQ.

BUT - I think the cruise makes a big difference, lots of Elites on this TA, and specialty restaurants except Murano were more empty than filled.

We reserve a dining package before every cruise and have always had to reserve once onboard.  I think it is a great business decision for Celebrity to allow those that pay full price to reserve ahead of time and those that choose a discounted pkg to reserve once onboard.  This concept makes perfect sense. 

We we have never had an issue the getting dates/times we've wanted with the package and this includes our Edge sailing a few weeks ago.  The frustration to me is when people complain...you know the policy so the choice is reserve once onboard with flexibility in mind or pay full price and reserve before boarding.  Why complain?

Since this is only my 3rd Celebrity sailing, I am not fully versed in all their fine print.  Sorry if this frustrates some.  Here is the blurb from a recent Celebrity email urging the purchase of dining packages:

SAVE WITH A SPECIALTY RESTAURANT PACKAGE 
Experience several unique specialty restaurants at savings with a Specialty Dining
Package for your cruise vacation. Awaken your inner foodie on a culinary journey at
Qsine®. Experience impeccable service and world-class cuisine at Murano. Savor the bold
flavors of our Italian steakhouse, Tuscan Grille. And enjoy interactive, open-air grilling with
ocean views at the Lawn Club Grill. Restaurant selection varies by ship.

Since my experience on 3 other cruise lines involving dining packages allowed pre-booking, I am disappointed that Celebrity doesn't.  If X's policy is meant to reward loyalty and higher priced bookings, I can understand the intent.  

I have decided to cancel the dining package, the savings IMO do not appear to outweigh its drawbacks.  Longer cruises such as this 11 night tend to attract cruisers who will be able to secure prime time reservations before lower priority like us.

• 1 year later...

We've pre-purchased the 5-night specialty dining package (using our OBC) for our upcoming (Feb.29) 7-night Caribbean cruise on Equinox &, as well-noted in this thread, all we can reserve is a "courtesy-reservation" for embarkation night one. We were told we can make further reservations once on-board. We are anxious to do this immediately upon embarkation, because we want to cancel night one & get the dates & times for the restaurants we want.

chemmo notes above that there is a specialty restaurants table set-up outside the buffet to make reservations. Can anyone else confirm this is correct & can anyone tell me where the "permanent" specialty restaurant desk is located, if such a thing exists?

On 2/7/2019 at 4:01 AM, evandbob said:

We are sailing the Equinox 11 day southern this October and purchased a 4 meal package at the specialty restaurants.

On 2/7/2019 at 11:26 AM, chemmo said:

As you board make your way to the speciality restaurants table set up outside Oceanview and make your bookings.

If you are on a ship which has the Celebrity app, and the OP is on the Equinox which does have it, you can make your specialty restaurant reservations in the app as soon as you board, no more need to go find a crew member to input the bookings.

That's what we did on the Reflection in January, after boarding we went straight to the pool bar (that's our long-standing cruising tradition and my significant other refuses to deviate from it 🙂) and I booked all our specialty restaurants while sipping a Pina Colada, so much more relaxed than standing in line at the reservation desk!

Truth be told, even though we boarded early and only needed tables for two people, we still did not find all our preferred times and restaurants available and had to compromise. We had a six night package and for two nights we had to settle for a 9 pm  slot where we usually go for 8 to 8:30 pm and had to juggle when to go to which restaurant.

If you're set on visiting specific restaurants, on specific dates and times, or need one of the larger (less abundant) tables, doing the package may not be a good idea.