Deluxe Drink Package Deal?

Port72

I don't sail till July but saw this in my cruise planner.  Buy one get one at 50% off..  This seems like a great deal, any thoughts?

So basically $39 per day..

image.png.2bbd3c4b69e2f53f3b725fdb462b3237.png

Edited by Port72

8 minutes ago, Port72 said:

I don't sail till July but saw this in my cruise planner.  Buy one get one at 50% off..  This seems like a great deal, any thoughts?

So basically $39 per day..

If you are committed to buying the package, then purchase now and continue to watch the price.  If you see a better price, cancel the purchase and reorder.

When you go to the next screen as if you were going to purchase it, then you see it is $52. Put it in your "cart" and you see the total they will charge, and if you are sitting down when you see the total, that is the safe way to do it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TTraub1250 said:

When you go to the next screen as if you were going to purchase it, then you see it is $52. Put it in your "cart" and you see the total they will charge, and if you are sitting down when you see the total, that is the safe way to do it. 

Thanks everyone, I was under the impression I would buy one at $52 and the second would be 50% off..  Realized no real deal, and I have seen the price at $46 already.  I will keep waiting.

And yes I was sitting down.. 

I guess I don't understand how it seems that so many people miss the statement on the page for the alcohol package "Price shown reflects your discount."

That, to me means the discount is already taken off the price so there won't be any more of a discount.  Do others not understand it the same way?  This question and comment comes up frequently.  I have to admit that the first time I saw the advertisement, I thought the same as others, but as soon as I read a bit more on the page,  it became clear that if I purchased the package, this is what the price will be.

It's the same way, rate, when it is advertised 25% off per person.  That price includes the discount.  To me, I've learned the price shown is what it is going to be per person.  If I like the price, I buy it.  If not, I don't.  Royal Caribbean uses a lot of "creative advertising" resulting in a price rarely going lower than what it's been for a while, unless there is some real sale, like Black Friday as an example.

The first page with the slanted banner of 50% off to many,  is like a billboard on the side of the highway !  You should be able to take it at first value without missing any information.  What is missing is what is the 50% off of ?  Have you ever seen a listed price that they take the 50% off of on a RCCL website ?  I have not and have tried to find one. Also there are "truth in advertising laws".  If this does not cross the line on that law, to many, it is sure looking over the line and does it match the spirit of the truth in advertising law !  Many Car dealers in general,  with their advertising are not what I call ethical and have integrity.  Why does RCCL have to stoop to the lower level of an unethical advertiser, why not be straight forward ?   As a stock holder this activity by the marketing and pricing departments is disturbing.  If I were President or at least VP of marketing, I would fire those people, with attitudes and advertising that is less than full integrity.  The way you treat people as a company tells alot about your integrity !   Integrity is everything !   Don't get me wrong, I have had P&L responsibility and understand pricing theory.  When people can not make their goals company's set, then those people become less than ethical.  Case in point Wells Fargo !  

I don't think this promotion is working properly or it is marketing mumbo jumbo. 

I have a spreadsheet and I am tracking the prices since I booked my HOS cruise.

Back on 2/3 the price was $52/PPD for 2 people total of $859 with the service charge.

With this buy one get one 50% off it is exactly the same price. They are not discounting the 2nd one by 50%.

I did however same money on a Beach Bed already booked as the price went down along with other excursions on CocoCay.

I saved some money on the Full Day Thrill Water park Zipline combo. FYI the package showed $129 but rang up as $91.

Not sure if I received an additional discount because I have the Beach Bed and booked the Balloon?

5 minutes ago, TTraub1250 said:

As a stock holder this activity by the marketing and pricing departments is disturbing.  If I were President or at least VP of marketing, I would fire those people, with attitudes and advertising that is less than full integrity.   Integrity is everything 

Sell the stock now and sail another line if this disturbs you - been this way since May of 2014 and unlikely to change soon.

33 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

I guess I don't understand how it seems that so many people miss the statement on the page for the alcohol package "Price shown reflects your discount."

That, to me means the discount is already taken off the price so there won't be any more of a discount.  Do others not understand it the same way?  This question and comment comes up frequently.  I have to admit that the first time I saw the advertisement, I thought the same as others, but as soon as I read a bit more on the page,  it became clear that if I purchased the package, this is what the price will be.

It's the same way, rate, when it is advertised 25% off per person.  That price includes the discount.  To me, I've learned the price shown is what it is going to be per person.  If I like the price, I buy it.  If not, I don't.  Royal Caribbean uses a lot of "creative advertising" resulting in a price rarely going lower than what it's been for a while, unless there is some real sale, like Black Friday as an example.

I don't have that offer on my cruise planner, so I can't see exactly what you are referring to, I assume it's after you select the item because the screen shot above would be easy for anyone to misunderstand.  Showing a price that already reflects a discount for a BOGO offer is misleading.  Showing a price that is 20% off where the price reflects the discount is less misleading.  IMO

While preparing for my recent Ovation of the Seas cruise, about 6 months out I got sucked in by this exact same Ad and at the time without the knowledge shared on this board I got pretty angry and moaned and groaned on this board but beverage veterans explained to me the shady tactics the RCCL uses and I got over it.

So since this was an Australian cruise the 18% tip was part of the package so take this into account when I discuss price. With the ad above my price was $56 dollars a day and shortly thereafter it went to $62 a day and I was depressed thinking I missed a good deal but it went back to $56 a day several times and finally one day it hit $49 so I bought and never saw it go any lower but it did higher a number of times. I also booked the voom and stream in a package with the beverages and got what appeared to be a good deal. When we arrived on the ship it was $71 a day so it was definitely much cheaper pre-cruise. Best advice is; if the price seems good, buy it and cancel if it goes lower.

I agree this pricing makes you think it is a real good deal.  I did select it and put in my checkout and realized it was $52 per person, so $104 a day.  Now I have price point for breaking even, and this is below it, so I am comfortable with that price however I did see it at $49 earlier and last year I did grab one for $45. 

So for me $52 is a good deal, I like to drink all different types of drinks on Vacay, one of the nice perks to being on vacation, my Wife however enjoys her coffee and a few other drinks.  At $52 we would barely break even for her..  so lets see the $45 and I'm in..  besides I got till July, plenty of time.

I just like the idea of prepaying and not worrying about the costs while on board.

Cheers !!

Never go by what the web site is telling you. I've found that when it comes to the bev packages the best thing to do is to just add it to your shopping cart and look at the total price. If it's a price I can live with at the time I'll go ahead and purchase. If not I'll delete it out of the cart and wait till the next "sale" and try again.

1 minute ago, hungryg said:

i just find a bartender on the first day that will sell me the package without making my wife pay for one.  works every time.  

That's fantastic. How is the pricing compared to the pre-cruise price?

Just now, JoeFan said:

That's fantastic. How is the pricing compared to the pre-cruise price?

I end up paying full price for it but its cheaper than whatever scam RCCL tries to sell you with buy one get half off.  It makes sense for me since I can drink enough to justify the price.  My wife will have MAYBE two drinks a day, MAYBE.  Buying her(or being forced to buy her) a drink package makes no sense.  

17 minutes ago, hungryg said:

I end up paying full price for it but its cheaper than whatever scam RCCL tries to sell you with buy one get half off.  It makes sense for me since I can drink enough to justify the price.  My wife will have MAYBE two drinks a day, MAYBE.  Buying her(or being forced to buy her) a drink package makes no sense.  

Yeah, I don't like the games they play.

My only other RC Cruise was Anthem in a big group with multiple cabins and not everyone wanted the Deluxe and with the number of cabins we were able to get 1 adult in a cabin on the plan.

I would have thought about it for the cruise I am planning now if I could just get it pre-cruise price just for me, because my wife doesn't drink. 

Not sure even at full ship price if it is worth it for me. I got the refreshment package @ $20/day. If I want to buy a drink, I'll just pay out of pocket.

4 hours ago, Port72 said:

I agree this pricing makes you think it is a real good deal.  I did select it and put in my checkout and realized it was $52 per person, so $104 a day.  Now I have price point for breaking even, and this is below it, so I am comfortable with that price however I did see it at $49 earlier and last year I did grab one for $45. 

So for me $52 is a good deal, I like to drink all different types of drinks on Vacay, one of the nice perks to being on vacation, my Wife however enjoys her coffee and a few other drinks.  At $52 we would barely break even for her..  so lets see the $45 and I'm in..  besides I got till July, plenty of time.

I just like the idea of prepaying and not worrying about the costs while on board.

Cheers !!

The base beverage package prices across the board went up in January. I know on Symphony that base went from $63 to $69 a day. So the savings you saw last year may not be seen again this year if they are using the same percentages for their discounts. 

Basically, like Clarea said, if it fits a break even for you and you can deal with the price, go ahead and grab it. Because there is no guarantee you see the $49 or $45 price point ever again, because the base points for the discounts just went up across the board.

12 hours ago, TTraub1250 said:

The first page with the slanted banner of 50% off to many,  is like a billboard on the side of the highway !  You should be able to take it at first value without missing any information.  What is missing is what is the 50% off of ?  Have you ever seen a listed price that they take the 50% off of on a RCCL website ?  I have not and have tried to find one. Also there are "truth in advertising laws".  If this does not cross the line on that law, to many, it is sure looking over the line and does it match the spirit of the truth in advertising law !  Many Car dealers in general,  with their advertising are not what I call ethical and have integrity.  Why does RCCL have to stoop to the lower level of an unethical advertiser, why not be straight forward ?   As a stock holder this activity by the marketing and pricing departments is disturbing.  If I were President or at least VP of marketing, I would fire those people, with attitudes and advertising that is less than full integrity.  The way you treat people as a company tells alot about your integrity !   Integrity is everything !   Don't get me wrong, I have had P&L responsibility and understand pricing theory.  When people can not make their goals company's set, then those people become less than ethical.  Case in point Wells Fargo !  

What I find disturbing is that they never list the on board price.