Tracy arm excursion from Juneau

katrina915

I am booked on the Celebrity Eclipse and will be in Juneau on Sept 19 from 7:30 am-8 pm and trying to determine if I can make this excursion.  It is not offered through the cruise line or I would just sign up for it there.  Adventure Bound has a cruise that day starting at 8:30 and returning at 6 and we are docking at the AS dock per the draft schedule.   Do you think we can make this excursion and is it ever late coming back?  Is there any other vendor that you would recommend?   TIA

We did this excursion last summer on a ship scheduled to arrive at 8 am and made it in time, if you're there at 7:30 am I would imagine that you'll be fine.  The excursion through Adventure Bound is good, they spend more than an hour at the glacier, though the ride to and from Tracy Arm does take a long time. 

On 2/8/2019 at 8:49 PM, rlse9 said:

though the ride to and from Tracy Arm does take a long time. 

Could you give a simple itinerary please. How long to and from Tracy Arm and how much of the trip is 'travelling' versus 'sightseeing'. This tour is highly recommended and my only concern is 8:30 to 6:00 with 1:00 at Tracy ??

One of our group is susceptible to seasickness so that is another concern.

There is a lot of scenery before you get to the face of the glacier.

I want to say 60-80 minutes each direction are at full speed on a fast boat. Then the rest is stopping at ice bergs, stopping for wild life (whales if seen), we stopped at waterfalls, etc.... They have to go slow if there are large ice bergs in the water. Captain Steve grabbed ice from the water and put it on the boat for us to see. He also took us directly up to an iceberg. There is a lot of scenic viewing before you get to the face of the glacier.

• Like 1

According to the timestamps on my photos, it was about 110 minutes from when we left Juneau until we made our first stop at an iceberg just outside Tracy Arm.  The last photo I took was as we were exiting Tracy Arm at around 3:50 pm.  I'm not sure exactly what time we got back to Juneau but I think it was just before 6 pm.

The time at the glacier is amazing, the glacier itself is beautiful, watching it calving is awesome, and watching all of the seals relaxing on the icebergs near the glacier was fun.  The stops at the icebergs going to and coming from the glacier are also amazing.  Those are the reasons to go on the tour.  The views in Tracy Arm are really nice.  The waterfalls are nice but not spectacular.  We did not see whales, apparently for some reason the whales stayed further south last summer.  It's definitely a very good tour and I'm happy we did it but I'm not quite as positive about it as others are, mostly due to the approximately 4 hours of going to/from Tracy Arm.

RLSE maybe right on the times. It didn't seem excessive to me. The last time I went, we went to Endicott Arm instead.

They have food and drinks for sale for a reasonable amount and they are ok with you bringing your own food with you.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Winesome said:

I am very interested in doing this excursion, but we are on Princess Royal with a 8:00am arrival they say they don’t wait departure 8:30

Has anyone done it with a 8:00 am arrival time

We are 4 people 

Thanks

Yes - you just have to plan to be the first ones off at 8 am (get in line at 7:30 or 7:45). They used to accommodate Princess people who docked at 8 am with an 8 am departure. They moved it to 8:30 due to the ships. I would just call them and let them know what ship you are on. They may not be answering their phones now. Maybe email.