Flaming-Don't do it!

Joanandjoe

On a CC board for another cruise line we dared to express our low opinion of a certain news channel, and got some nasty comments back. That's uncalled for. Fine, you like the channel, but it doesn't make us bad people because we don't.

People here express mostly positive feelings about HAL, but sometimes they feel that they or their relatives have had the Trip from Hell. Negative opinions, even if expressed in hyperbole, are an essential part of information sharing.

People are on this board to give information and supply opinions. If you disagree with someone's opinion, that doesn't make him/her an idiot! Ladies and germs, feel free to make comments on these boards, but try not to disparage other CC members. Flaming is definitely a no-no.

Very well said :)

We all have our likes and dislikes, its all a matter of personal taste and preferance. There is no right or wrong answer in matters like that.

There are times you can disagree with someone and still get along with them.

This is a forum for cruiseing, a very pleasent thing indeed. :) We aren't here to solve the great mysteries of the ages or save mankind from moral decay. We just want to share info and experiences about cruiseing, learn a few things and have a little fun along the way.

Enjoy:)

When I first found this board, several years ago, I had the temerity to express my opinion about a certain poster (I was on his side) and was so totally flamed by some people who no longer post on this board. I was so hurt by what I thought were totally unnecessary comments that I just thought "you know what, I'm a loyal HAL customer, and I'm going to keep sailing with them and thank God I don't meet up with these people on board ship." I must say that a couple of other posters came to my defense and made the whole experience a little less hurtful, but I still stayed away and chatted on other boards where people were kind and informative.

Fast forward to last year or so when I decided to give this board another chance, and what a world of difference! This board has now become a board where people meet to chat about their experiences aboard ship, exchange information about crew/staff members who have become fast friends, and most especially to exchange hints, tips and experiences.

So, to quote Rodney King - okay I won't - but couldn't we all just get along? We seem to be doing a great job so let's keep it fun and informative just like it is right now.

Valerie:D

It has been my experience that this is one of the friendliest message boards around. That is not to say that there are not some people who drop by and seem to get some perverse pleasure out of flaming others. However I beleive those people are rare and I don't think they stick around for very long.

I do think that people are sometimes misunderstood because of the nature and limitations of this purely written form of communication. Another factor here is that people are often in a hurry or they are trying to keep their posts short and they lose a lot of content and end up writing in a sort of shorthand that gets misunderstood.

A third factor is people can be passionate as well as anonymous. Sometimes they just want to vent. Unfortunately, their vent is "permantly" stored in the database and they are called into question for any innaccuracies that are just part of the vent.

The worst that I have witnessed, and been on the receiving end of, is when people flame others for their spelling mistakes or grammatical errors. There is a reason the moderators have rules about that. There are also rules prohibiting personal attacks.

I personally despise flaming. I like this board because it is, for the most part, very civil. People do care about each other. There are other Cruise Critic boards that are very friendly and civil as well.

This is a very nice, friendly place to hang out. Hopefully, the people who enjoy stirring things up will continue to get bored and go away.The internet is a big place.

Linda

Thank goodness the occurrence of "flaming" in relationship to the number of posts here is relatively low...in fact, really very, very low. The older I get the less inclined I am to put up with personal attacks and I really enjoy that we can have a board where we can express our opinions or share information without all out battles over the contents. Thanks Cruise Critic! :)

I agree completely with everyone here. There is no excuse for flaming anyone because it's really opinion that's stated not fact (for the most part) and everyone has a right to their opinion. Most of the flamers are not long here, thankfully.

However, I am now extremely hesitant to go off topic in the form of opinions about anything other than cruising. Particularly, if you voiced an opinion about a news channel, you were also voicing a political opinion because most stations do lean one way or another.

When you open that can of worms, you're in trouble. That's why the moderators come in and shut down threads that go off course and I'm glad they do.

I love the HAL board even though I do lean toward Celebrity as my favorite cruise line.:) I've made a lot of friends here and it's become part of my day just to check in.

...though I do lean toward Celebrity as my favorite cruise line.

Celebrity?!?!?!

EVERYONE know's that only (insert disparaging words here) people prefer Celebrity!

;)

Ladies and germs...

Germs!

While I may have a germ (although it's no business of yours, and how DARE you even bring it up!) I am NOT a Germ!

:p

***indignantly waddles away from his perma-reserved deckchair in his swim diaper while puffing on a cigar heading towards the Main Dining Room on Informal Night***

:eek:

***indignantly waddles away from his perma-reserved deckchair in his swim diaper while puffing on a cigar heading towards the Main Dining Room on Informal Night***

... sipping some smuggled booze and planning not to tip. :D

I don't know if I have ever really seen "flaming" on this board. It's usually sarcastic remarks and people being condescending and judgemental. Maybe that's flaming to some people, but I have seen some real nasty flaming on some of the other boards.

Think maybe HAL board has a different class of people? OOPS, is that PC?

LOL.... let's see, smuggled liquor, reserved deck chairs, and improper dress.....the unholy trinity of Cruise Critic! Then to make matters worse, he threw in Swim Diapers and Smoking....YIKES!!!

I almost fell off my chair, laughing, but poor Revneal may need to hire security!

If he had mentioned children misbehaving in the pool, I would have personally bought him a bullet proof vest!

Not to worry, Rev, we will form a permanent (if slightly inebriated) cordon around you throughout our cruise!

Brian......doesn't it seem to be a beautiful part of Gods plan that Alchohol actually KILLS germs? I know that it gives ME a reason to go on!

Now, if you will please excuse us, Stan and I are going to park our "Jazzys" two abreast in the hallway. We just got back from early seating with ALL of the Dinner Rolls ;-)

Keep smiling~

Randyk47,

Hi all,

Sorry to barge in on this thread, but ....

I was looking not around the threads and noticed a user name of someone who had posted here.

I'm Lois from Alamo Cruisers. Remember, about a 1 1/2 yrs. ago??

We have a nice group who get together every 3 months. We go to various restarutants and have a good time. Cruising is the main topic (of course), but we also talk about other things. The next get together will be in April (TBA). We'd love to have you check it out. No money to join. Just bring youself and others, and pay for what you eat!

Hope to hear from you,

Lois

LRH@satx.rr.com

I almost fell off my chair, laughing, but poor Revneal may need to hire security!

If he had mentioned children misbehaving in the pool, I would have personally bought him a bullet proof vest!

Not to worry, Rev, we will form a permanent (if slightly inebriated) cordon around you throughout our cruise!

My security detail must stagger along with me ... and always be dressed to kill, dashing, handsome, and untouchable. ;)

:eek:

That actually made me TRULY laugh out loud!! Thanks for that image.

My security detail must stagger along with me ... and always be dressed to kill, dashing, handsome, and untouchable. ;)

Untouchable ??????????????

Doing my best Robert Stack impression :

"Rico. Youngfellow, surround the house. Frank Nitti is inside and he's armed and dangerous "

God I am getting old *LOL*

LOL.... let's see, smuggled liquor, reserved deck chairs, and improper dress.....the unholy trinity of Cruise Critic! Then to make matters worse, he threw in Swim Diapers and Smoking....YIKES!!!

Brian......doesn't it seem to be a beautiful part of Gods plan that Alchohol actually KILLS germs? I know that it gives ME a reason to go on!

Now, if you will please excuse us, Stan and I are going to park our "Jazzys" two abreast in the hallway. We just got back from early seating with ALL of the Dinner Rolls ;-)

Keep smiling~

Are you sure he wasn't wearing jeans!

Archived