HAL paper or plastic straws

qoap24

Please do not get upset with me for asking, but this will be my first time on HAL and I was wondering if HAL offers plastic or paper straws with their frozen drinks. I tried a search and I was not able to find anything on CC. I found on another website that HAL will over plastic with frozen drinks, but that article was from September. Wanted to check with people that have cruised HAL lately. 

Thank you.

Don't know if Holland America has jumped on this bandwagon or not.  Don't worry though if you were concerned - all major curiselines send their garbage to shore to be disposed of.  Cargo ships and river-dumped trash in Asia are the main contributors to the plastic problem at sea.

22 minutes ago, qoap24 said:

Please do not get upset with me for asking, but this will be my first time on HAL and I was wondering if HAL offers plastic or paper straws with their frozen drinks. I tried a search and I was not able to find anything on CC. I found on another website that HAL will over plastic with frozen drinks, but that article was from September. Wanted to check with people that have cruised HAL lately. 

Thank you.

They are Plastic enclosed in paper. Hubby just came off a cruise a bit over 1 month ago and that's what he was offered.

Joanie

Plastic as of December. 

Having been to a number of land based restaurants that went to paper, I'd wave anyone off paper straws and frozen drinks. (Particularly milkshakes.) If you want to go eco-friendly, bring your own stainless steel or reusable plastic straw. (And the soap and tiny brush to wash them. That's what we did with our water bottles and straws.) 

Edited by POA1
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Plastic as of December. 

Having been to a number of land based restaurants that went to paper, I'd wave anyone off paper straws and frozen drinks. (Particularly milkshakes.) If you want to go eco-friendly, bring your own stainless steel or reusable plastic straw. (And the soap and tiny brush to wash them. That's what we did with our water bottles and straws.) 

Good idea to bring your own straws  .

3 hours ago, iancal said:

I would be far more concerned about the incredible amount of junk mail that gets delivered to your stateroom mailslot each day.

That is nice to hear about what you would be concerned with, but I am not sure that answered my question. Thank you to everyone else that has answered my question.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, POA1 said:

Plastic as of December. 

In the land-based restaurants/fast food places I frequent that use paper straws, I have more issues with the straws disintegrating in Cokes or unsweetened iced tea than I have with milkshakes, ice cream sodas/floats, or slushy-style drinks.

4 hours ago, ellieanne said:

In the land-based restaurants/fast food places I frequent that use paper straws, I have more issues with the straws disintegrating in Cokes or unsweetened iced tea than I have with milkshakes, ice cream sodas/floats, or slushy-style drinks.

Interesting. The Shake Shack has paper straws available by request in South Florida. They don't have the rigidity of plastic straws so they tend to collapse under the pressure differential when you suck up a thick milkshake. They're working on getting paper straws that work for later this year. 

You can buy paper straws at Publix, our local grocery chain, but they're $3.99 for two dozen. It seems like a novelty for the rich. (I want to meet the inventor of the paper bendy straw. Until that happens, we'll have to be content to [cruelly] let the bedridden drip all over themselves with the straight* paper straws.) 

* - Is that acceptable terminology? Maybe it's supposed to be cis-straws.  

Edited by POA1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Someone needs to dig up the "recipe" for the paper straws we had back in the 60s.  I don't remember having issues with those straws when I had milkshakes or pop.  

For those snarking at the straw issue - we can do what we can do, and you can not do what you do not want to do.   I have a metal straw; one of the companies at Sundance were giving them away.  I don't do much drinking that requires a straw, but when I do...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Someone needs to dig up the "recipe" for the paper straws we had back in the 60s.  I don't remember having issues with those straws when I had milkshakes or pop.  

For those snarking at the straw issue - we can do what we can do, and you can not do what you do not want to do.   I have a metal straw; one of the companies at Sundance were giving them away.  I don't do much drinking that requires a straw, but when I do...

I also have the metal type straws as I use them for my Starbucks drinks.  Wasn’t sure if I’d like it but it’s just fine.  

The reason for the paper straws is that so many plastic straws blow overboard and are eaten by sea life.

I was on NCL in December and their paper straws were more sturdy than any plastic straw I had ever seen. We are on Zuiderdam in about 10 days. I will try to remember to come back and give a comparison.

19 hours ago, CATandSQUID said:

They are switching to paper, wrapped in plastic for sanitry reasons.

I find that a bit funny, so instead of paper wrapped plastic straws, we will go the plastic wrapped paper straws. 

Now I realize there is a big difference in the amount of plastic between the two, but it does strike me as humorous. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, drowelf said:

I find that a bit funny, so instead of paper wrapped plastic straws, we will go the plastic wrapped paper straws. 

Now I realize there is a big difference in the amount of plastic between the two, but it does strike me as humorous. 

Probably the cellophane wrapper that some straws are packaged in.

1 hour ago, Terre said:

We only had paper straws when I grew up in the '50s and I don't remember any of them ever coming apart in any kind of drink.

I sure do! Used in sodas---until the top portion got crushed by the lips. They were paper straws that were wound, sort of like a coil. Whatever was holding the overlapping part together must have dissolved if you didn't drink fast enough.

At home my mother had glass straws, which had dangers of their own, but if careful with them were great. Not too easy to clean, but with care, they could last a long time. Wish I knew where to get one now.

• Like 1

The majority of plastic straws, bottles and cups come from far eastern countries like China who have no policies for plastic waste disposal.   The level of plastic products that end up in the oceans from the US and Canada is a drop in the bucket (or ocean) compared to the other countries.

We will be bringing our own plastic straws that we will clean out and re0use.

• Like 4

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but did you ever notice how much more garbage some people have out on every garbage day? Young single people astonish me with the amount of stuff they get and then need to send the packaging off to landfills.  Hopefully they are not thinking straws are the answer.

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse

1 hour ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but did you ever notice how much more garbage some people have out on every garbage day? Young single people astonish me with the amount of stuff they get and then need to send the packaging off to landfills.  Hopefully they are not thinking straws are the answer.

And they are the ones protesting plastic straws, this and that....we recycled more in the '50s and '60s than we do now.  We refilled our ink pens instead of throwing them away.  Razors were not plastic. Everything came in bottles that you could return to the store and were reused, wooden crates, etc.  Are we better off now?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, drowelf said:

A restaurant in SoCal actually did this as a joke for the ban on plastic straws. 

14 hours ago, Terre said:

And they are the ones protesting plastic straws, this and that....we recycled more in the '50s and '60s than we do now.  We refilled our ink pens instead of throwing them away.  Razors were not plastic. Everything came in bottles that you could return to the store and were reused, wooden crates, etc.  Are we better off now?

Terre, your logo is cute but I find the the constant movement is very distracting.  And it affects reading your posts as well as the following ones. Would you consider a switch to a static logo? Thanks for your consideration.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Terre, your logo is cute but I find the the constant movement is very distracting.  And it affects reading your posts as well as the following ones. Would you consider a switch to a static logo? Thanks for your consideration.

Just hit the 'Esc' (upper left corner of the keyboard) key and it will stop immediately.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1