Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
bobmacliberty

Game of Thrones on Freedom?

Recommended Posts

I just learned that our next cruise on Freedom departs on the same day as the final episode of the final season of Game of Thrones (May 19).  We can record it and watch when we get home, but I'm afraid that we won't be able to go a week without hearing someone reveal something from the final episode.  A couple of questions specific to Freedom:

1. Does Stream work well enough to truly stream video?  We can either watch it live on HBO Go or watch it on the Spectrum app from our DVR, assuming that it doesn't drive is crazy by buffering every few seconds.

2. Can we plug into an HDMI input on our stateroom TV (using an iPad with the appropriate converter/cable)?  I've read a few threads about this but haven't paid close enough attention to which ships can do this.

 

I'm assuming, even though this will be an extremely popular show, that it won't be shown anywhere on the ship since it's not very family friendly.  Yeah, I know...we're on a cruise.  If you feel the need to judge others for what they do on their vacation, please keep it to yourself.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have the answer but wanted to let you know I feel your pain!  I am sailing on Freedom on May 26, and had been on pins and needles waiting for the official announcement of the season premier date. Breathed a HEAVY sigh of relief on hearing it would be April 14.

 

I would think with something that popular, there might be a viewing party in one of the bars or entertainment venues (at least that was what I was telling myself). Fingers crossed for you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t 100% know the answer to your question but I totally agree I wouldn’t want to wait a week either!  Plus the fact that you would probably read or hear something that spoiled the plot of the last episode. 

 

When one invests the amount of time in a series like the Game of Thrones you need to see the season ending in real time. Or close to it

 

But to try to answer your question pretty sure the streaming Wi-Fi will allow you to access hbo-go as long as there are not country restrictions where you are. (Our son in NZ has access to different options than us in netiflix.  Not sure if HBO is like that). 

 

On the hdmi option, I have read it can happen. But don’t know the details except that it seems a lot depends on the tv/ship. 

 

Good luck!  And if Cersei isn’t dead by the end I will not watch reruns ever again. Or at least until I get over it. 😠

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks.  I do hope they have a viewing party but they'd need to do it behind closed doors and post lots of warnings for parents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cindivan said:

Good luck!  And if Cersei isn’t dead by the end I will not watch reruns ever again. Or at least until I get over it. 😠

 

Wouldn't be surprised if half the current cast ended up dead.  That would certainly be in keeping with what's happened in the past.  Only 6 episodes in the final season so they'll need to pack a lot of action into each episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

 

I'm assuming, even though this will be an extremely popular show, that it won't be shown anywhere on the ship since it's not very family friendly.  Yeah, I know...we're on a cruise.  If you feel the need to judge others for what they do on their vacation, please keep it to yourself.  

 

I'm normally the type of person that disconnects on a cruise ship. I don't even turn on the TV unless it's to see the morning cruise director show or to see the ships position.

 

Having said that......I feel ya. After all, this is Game of Thrones, the finale!!!  I'm in the same boat...kind of...as I'll be on an island vacation with limited TV options.

 

Maybe you can rally the other passengers to petition to  show it on the pool side movie screen?  Or maybe in the On-air bar? 

 

Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cindivan said:

Good luck!  And if Cersei isn’t dead by the end I will not watch reruns ever again. Or at least until I get over it. 😠

 

 

I still havn't gotten over Ned Starks beheading.

 

All hail Mother of Dragons!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't typically watch TV on a cruise either...other than when the Cavs were in the NBA finals.  :classic_biggrin:  Limited options on the cabin TVs makes that easy.  Given the typical violence/sex/language on GOT, I'd be surprised if they showed it in a public space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bobmacliberty said:

 Given the typical violence/sex/language on GOT, I'd be surprised if they showed it in a public space.

 

well yeah.....I guess there is that. lol

 

Plus, I'm sure there is some legal, licensing restriction the would prevent Royal from broadcasting it even if they were so inclined.

 

Hopefully some of the more tech-savy CC members will present some viable solutions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worst case have a good friend video it in small segments and email it to you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Worst case have a good friend video it in small segments and email it to you. 

Interesting idea. Wonder how long it takes to download a 5 minute video.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will miss episodes 3-5 while on Serenade TA. But will binge watch them prior to episode 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll be on the 5/19 Freedom cruise too. Dang,  I didn't  realize that was the date of the  finale. Last year on the Oasis I was able to stream on my laptop. 17" screen isn't ideal but it'll do I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:


Interesting idea. Wonder how long it takes to download a 5 minute video.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to my 17yo “they have voom so I don’t think it would take too long. I was able to stream YouTube with little buffering”

 

not that he is a RC Wi-Fi expert.  He just uses it a lot more than me for streaming. 

Edited by cindivan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
According to my 17yo “they have voom so I don’t think it would take too long. I was able to stream YouTube with little buffering”

Thanks. That’s encouraging.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on Freedom this past September in a JS on deck #9...we had an onboard electrician change out our TV (suggested and contacted by our amazing cabin steward) so we could hook up our Amazon Firestick. Following many tech experts post on CC and YouTube video's and taking a universal remote with us (and our son being able to do this on Navigator in the Med), we were pretty sure we could do this easily. We ended up not being able to. We were told onboard (electrician) because of the interactive TV option but he thought the GS & above on deck #10 had different TV's...and the reason he easily changed out the TV for us of course keeping the same size just one that hadn't been programmed yet. We were so thankful ($$'s) and enjoyed watching movies on our B2B.

 

Now I'm just hoping we will be able to do the same for our May cruise on Vision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't speak for Freedom, but I have streamed HBO NOW on Majesty, Independence, Brilliance, Enchantment, Adventure and Harmony... without a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ashland said:

We were on Freedom this past September in a JS on deck #9...we had an onboard electrician change out our TV (suggested and contacted by our amazing cabin steward) so we could hook up our Amazon Firestick. Following many tech experts post on CC and YouTube video's and taking a universal remote with us (and our son being able to do this on Navigator in the Med), we were pretty sure we could do this easily. We ended up not being able to. We were told onboard (electrician) because of the interactive TV option but he thought the GS & above on deck #10 had different TV's...and the reason he easily changed out the TV for us of course keeping the same size just one that hadn't been programmed yet. We were so thankful ($$'s) and enjoyed watching movies on our B2B.

 

Now I'm just hoping we will be able to do the same for our May cruise on Vision.

I recall reading your thread about that but didn't remember that it was Freedom.  We're also in a deck 9 JS.  A few questions...Did you need to disconnect the cable into the TV or was there an open HDMI port?  Are you saying that even with an open HDMI port and the ability to change inputs with a universal remote, the way that the TV was programmed for interactive use kept that from working?

 

Was there something wrong with your original TV or did they change it just so that your Firestick would work?  If the later, you really did have a good steward!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As mentioned yes it is doable. Lots of vid's on youtube on how to stream to the t.v. in your cabin.

 

But just a thought maybe make a comment in your roll call. There might be more Game of Thrones fans in the group and you all could get together to have a viewing party. Think that would be pretty cool.

 

original.gif 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I recall reading your thread about that but didn't remember that it was Freedom.  We're also in a deck 9 JS.  A few questions...Did you need to disconnect the cable into the TV or was there an open HDMI port?  Are you saying that even with an open HDMI port and the ability to change inputs with a universal remote, the way that the TV was programmed for interactive use kept that from working?

 

Was there something wrong with your original TV or did they change it just so that your Firestick would work?  If the later, you really did have a good steward!

There was no way to change the input...no channel...we tried every possibility to do this on our own (connecting to the HDMI input disconnecting this and that) and had what we knew we needed with us. It just didn't work on the TV on Freedom.

 

There was nothing wrong with our TV but when we mentioned this to our cabin steward she said "let me get a hold of someone that might be able to help". Later an onboard electrician knocked on our door listened to what we were trying to do and tried to hook it up too...he couldn't either. He told us he would be back in the evening to just change out the TV and said it was he thought the interactive TV. Sure enough when we came back to the cabin in the evening he was changing TV and our Amazon Firestick worked. We certainly thanked ($"s) him and our cabin steward for their effort.

 

It was so nice watching Amazon Prime & Netflix during our B2B.

Edited by Ashland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Wouldn't be surprised if half the current cast ended up dead.  That would certainly be in keeping with what's happened in the past.  Only 6 episodes in the final season so they'll need to pack a lot of action into each episode.

Only half?  Optimistic aren’t we.

 

no way it will be shown in any capacity on board.  No contract with HBO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very late to this topic, but this is a concern for my whole family as we will be on the Symphony of the Seas when the final episode airs.  I've been able to hook up my ipad to the hdmi port on the TV on the Oasis and stream, so I'm hoping we will be able to do it on the Symphony.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2019 at 7:42 PM, cindivan said:

Good luck!  And if Cersei isn’t dead by the end I will not watch reruns ever again. Or at least until I get over it. 😠

Truth!!! Throughout the run of the show, there have been several characters that I really wanted to die. However, at this point there are none more than her!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought an Apple lightning to HDMI adaptor and plan to plug my iPhone into an HDMI port/use HBOGO.  It worked well at home when we were binge re-watching all past episodes (great way to pick up little things that were missed the first time through) and HBO on demand wasn't working for some reason from my cable provider (Spectrum).  I'm hoping that Freedom uses HDMI for their main input and I can just replace whatever is already plugged in with my adaptor, so I don't need to change inputs.  I also purchased surf & stream and am hoping that stream will be sufficient for smooth playback.  Anyone know if Freedom uses an HDMI port for their onboard TV system?

 

My (completely uninformed) guess as to who will die:

Cersei (agree with the posts above)

Either Dany or Jon (one but not both)

One of the remaining Stark kids ( guessing Bran but could be Arya.  Sansa will live to lead the North)

Theon and Euron Greyjoy (Yara will live to lead the Iron Islands)

Bronn

Both the Hound and the Mountain

Melissandre

Two (or more) other characters that will make you say, "Why did they have to kill him/her?" (Jorah, Samwell, Varys, Davos, Brienne, Pod)

 

Wild guess...both Tyrion and Jaime will live and somehow make peace with Dany/Jon.  Given the focus on strong female characters, and "All men must die", it wouldn't surprise me if Dany, Sansa, and Yara all lived...but Cersei must die.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • Celebrity Edge in Europe Sweepstakes
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...