Diamond lounge access

Janman

12 hours ago, Mary&Jim said:

We just got home yesterday from a b2b on the Independence. The DL was fine the first week,  but the second week we experienced major overcrowding. The overflow area (Viking) was not available because a large group, Total Travel, was on board and booked the Viking most evenings. Funny thing happened one evening. We usually go to the DL about 5pm. Well one evening when we went,  the group was in the Viking, but only about a third of the room was being used. The DL was packed and it was raining, so the outside seating area could not be used. When we tried to sit in the Viking near the DL door, one of the group leaders came over to tell us to leave. Lots of seats were available for their group and as we pointed out to her, we were not taking seats from anybody, nor drinking their drinks or eating their snack. We would gladly give up the seats if they were needed by her group. Her response was that she did not want us to listen to the band that her group hired for the evening! I guess she did not notice the wall to the DL is open at the top.

FYI - The concierge said there was nothing she could do because the group would not move to a smaller room. The CL was off limits to the Diamond and diamond + cruisers. She did suggest we come back after everyone in the DL leaves for dinner!

I know we can go to the other lounges around the ship and this was not a big deal for us, just wanted to share the story.

Great cruise over all!

Mary

Quite common with group bookings, though don't usually see them take over the VCL.  On Oasis, seems many times some group has taken over Blaze, which normally serves as an overflow for the DL.  No overflow when they do that. They also took over the whole Solarium Cafe for meals...which is usually a favorite for us.  The year before, the same group took over Wipeout Cafe.  

Bummer when the groups keep us from venues we enjoy.  😞 

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I like to think I'm funny, but I know a few members have blocked me

I would never block you John...IMHO...you actually ARE witty and funny.  I enjoy your posts.  🙂 

The ones I have to block are negative and attack fellow CC members.  They must live a miserable life.  

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Sorry, one and done.

Still miss Ecko, but Dean and Philip in the SL were great bartenders.  We started making a habit of stopping up there for a wine and beer around 3 pm.  Very relaxing, and usually quite empty at that time.  Enjoy!  🙂 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

Recently on Freedom and was never checked to be sure we were D.  It also was never crowded.  You did have to use you card to unlock the door which maybe wouldn’t unlock unless you were D.  I’d prefer unlimited drinks on my sea pass each evening as opposed to going to the lounge. 😜

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, fridaythe13th said:

Recently on Freedom and was never checked to be sure we were D.  It also was never crowded.  You did have to use you card to unlock the door which maybe wouldn’t unlock unless you were D.  I’d prefer unlimited drinks on my sea pass each evening as opposed to going to the lounge. 😜

Then there you go....the choice is yours to make.  You are not required to go into the DL once you turn D.  You have three complimentary drinks a night per person each evening in any lounge you choose.  Your plan saves seats for those that would like them...we thank you...choice is good.  😉 

• 1 month later...

Just another FYI....  On the Oasis I accessed the DL (by myself) but was never asked to see my card.  I also asked for two drinks because I wanted to go back to my cabin and sit on the balcony.  The server said he wasn't supposed to do that, but this one time it was okay.  There is a sign on the door leaving the DL that says "drinks are not to leave this room".  Although when I walked by the concierge, she never said anything.  From then on I just used the 3 free drinks on my card, which I prefer.   I always tip the server and always wondered if everyone does.

On 2/8/2019 at 1:10 PM, bouhunter said:

We just spent two weeks on Freedom and the concierge never once asked anyone for their sea pass card.  Ever.

We overhead someone on a beach bragging about how their Diamond friends were taking her into the Diamond lounge every night to drink for free.....

I have  also heard comments like this  - wish there was someway to combat this.  Basically it is costing RCI money to provide  free drinks .

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 10:48 PM, Janman said:

My DH and I are both Diamond and are planning to cruise on the Anthem with our adult daughter in our cabin. She is a past RCL passenger but is not up to Diamond. Will she be able to accompany us to the Diamond lounge since she is in our cabin on the same reservation?

On the Grandeur February often we were greeted by a RCL staff asking to see our diamond cards. Different person nightly. On Visions October same. This is open up into the South Pacific lounge.

On Anthem you swipe your card to get into the diamond lounge with overflow into upper dance hall.

My wife used her loaded 3 drinks while on RCL Visions 9 night with our daughter a few years ago. Our daughter was with mom alone sharing a room and denied access.

Rules are rules. I’m very happy with RCL perks. It took a long time to get to diamond. 

On 2/8/2019 at 1:10 PM, bouhunter said:

We just spent two weeks on Freedom and the concierge never once asked anyone for their sea pass card.  Ever.

We overhead someone on a beach bragging about how their Diamond friends were taking her into the Diamond lounge every night to drink for free.....

We did a B2B on the Freedom, 3 March and 10 March 2019. The DL concierge was/is Jandi Kim. The absolute worse. All she did was sit at her desk and stare at her computer monitor. My wife and I weren't the only two that noticed her lack of social skills. 

Edited by davekathy