Mention Bermuda Triangle?

BlueChairBlessing

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

What about the vessels that disappeared in the 19th.century and the WWII aircraft ?

What about them?  You do realize there have been unexplained disappearances of people, ships, etc virtually everywhere around the world?  Just because a few have been more publicized doesn't mean there is somehow a higher number happening in the Bermuda Triangle.  Every worldwide analysis done had found nothing to suggest there have been any more losses in the Triangle than in any other similarly busy area.

A few anecdotal examples are interesting stories, but they do not change the overwhelming evidence.  

31 minutes ago, AL3XCruise said:

What about them?  You do realize there have been unexplained disappearances of people, ships, etc virtually everywhere around the world?  Just because a few have been more publicized doesn't mean there is somehow a higher number happening in the Bermuda Triangle.  Every worldwide analysis done had found nothing to suggest there have been any more losses in the Triangle than in any other similarly busy area.

A few anecdotal examples are interesting stories, but they do not change the overwhelming evidence.  

Yes,of course I realize that it is not limited to the Bermuda Triangle.

Actually there are more disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle, than many other places.

But, when you correct for the amount of traffic, the rates are about the same.

Like remember, they used to warn you about the higher number of traffic deaths on 3 day weekends?  Then someone realized, that there about 1.5 times the number of deaths on a 3 day weekend than on a 2 day weekend. 😄

7 hours ago, SRF said:

Actually there are more disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle, than many other places.

But, when you correct for the amount of traffic, the rates are about the same.

Like remember, they used to warn you about the higher number of traffic deaths on 3 day weekends?  Then someone realized, that there about 1.5 times the number of deaths on a 3 day weekend than on a 2 day weekend. 😄

Exactly, which is why I mentioned "similarly busy".  That's the "fun" with those types of statistics ;).

In other cruise related news, nearly all docking incidents occur near the pier and ships are far more likely to run aground in shallow water.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I suggest that everyone who does not believe in the Bermuda Triangle being responsible for the deaths of possibly thousands of people google Avi Loeb.He is a Professor of Astronomy at Harvard. Read his theories.

You can also read The Bermuda Triangle by Charles Berlitz.

I tried a quick search for Prof. Loeb's views on the Bermuda Triangle but didn't find anything.  Recently he has been more heavily involved in speculating about an alien probe entering our solar system.  While I'll admit his alien theories are interesting and I cannot personally disprove him as I'm not an astrophysicist, he seems to be have earned the scorn of most of his peers.  If you have a direct link to his theories on the Bermuda Triangle I would be interested in reading them.

Berlitz is who I was referring to when discussing those that have twisted and made up facts to sell books.  His work has been discredited numerous times by many different researchers. 

While Loeb may have a reputation for being out there, he seems to rely on fact based assumptions, even if such assumptions are controversial seemingly unlikely.  Berlitz, however, twists and fabricates fact to support his conclusions.  

13 hours ago, AL3XCruise said:

Exactly, which is why I mentioned "similarly busy".  That's the "fun" with those types of statistics ;).

In other cruise related news, nearly all docking incidents occur near the pier and ships are far more likely to run aground in shallow water.

And airplanes are more likely to crash during take off and landing.

16 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I never missed a day of work because of an illness.I was a workaholic.

I don't consider that a point of pride. I have far more respect for people who respect me enough to not show up to work sneezing their infection throughout the workplace.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I guess we could debate this forever and still disagree .

Have a good day and enjoy cruising.

There's nothing to debate wrt the supposed "Bermuda Triangle." It's all bunk, as has been proven over and over and over and over and over and over and over, again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

That is your theory and I disagree.

The facts are the facts. There are exactly zero facts that there's some sort of mysterious presence making the so-called triangle a place where people just "disappear." It's nonsense.

I find it hard to believe people still fall for this kind of nonsense, but there are people who still think the earth is flat, so.... :classic_rolleyes:

On 2/11/2019 at 7:17 AM, dkjretired said:

If you check on one of the Discovery channels there is a show that claims the Bermuda Triangle is a myth.

The “Bermuda Triangle” as generally understood is NOT a myth. It is a clearly defined triangular area of the sea with apex points at Miami, San Juan Puerto Rico, and Bermuda.  Look at any map of the North Atlantic Ocean and you can see where it is.

Of course, the notion that many unexplained happenings there must result from some supernatural phenomena is questionable.  Yes, lots of ships and planes have “vanished” there —- which is kind of understandable as it covers a very large area of heavy traveled sea.  Worrying about it is even sillier than refusing to sit down at a table of thirteen — because whenever there are thirteen at a table it is a demonstrable FACT that one of them will die first.  

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

The “Bermuda Triangle” as generally understood is NOT a myth. It is a clearly defined triangular area of the sea with apex points at Miami, San Juan Puerto Rico, and Bermuda.  Look at any map of the North Atlantic Ocean and you can see where it is.

Of course, the notion that many unexplained happenings there must result from some supernatural phenomena is questionable.  Yes, lots of ships and planes have “vanished” there —- which is kind of understandable as it covers a very large area of heavy traveled sea.  Worrying about it is even sillier than refusing to sit down at a table of thirteen — because whenever there are thirteen at a table it is a demonstrable FACT that one of them will die first.  

Again, never said I agreed or disagreed with the show, only pointing out for the OP it exists.

19 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Actually, it’s not the take off part that is dangerous. Virtually all injuries and fatalities take place when the plane comes down.   

Sort of.  In that the final bad thing happens when things hit the ground.

But that can occur during takeoff, climb, cruise, decent, or landing.

28 minutes ago, SRF said:

Sort of.  In that the final bad thing happens when things hit the ground.

But that can occur during takeoff, climb, cruise, decent, or landing.

No: the phrase: “...when things HIT THE GROUND...” does not apply during takeoff, climb or cruise —- they only “...HIT THE GROUND...” during the last stages of DESCENT (and, as a matter of accepted opinion, there is nothing “DECENT” about a plane hitting the ground - unless it is after a controlled descent and the touch down is on a runway).

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

No: the phrase: “...when things HIT THE GROUND...” does not apply during takeoff, climb or cruise —- they only “...HIT THE GROUND...” during the last stages of DESCENT (and, as a matter of accepted opinion, there is nothing “DECENT” about a plane hitting the ground - unless it is after a controlled descent and the touch down is on a runway).

In general, a descent is planned.  A crash may be the result of descending, but not what a pilot would call a descent. 😄

1 hour ago, SRF said:

In general, a descent is planned.  A crash may be the result of descending, but not what a pilot would call a descent. 😄

Not so.  “Descent” is defined as “the action of moving downward, dropping or falling”.

Hopefully the pilot of you plane has planned a CONTROLLED descent, but when a plane falls out of the sky, for any reason, it is a descent. I would not want to fly in a plane whose pilot did not understand the meaning of “descent”.