SAN JUAN - DOCK WORKERS STRIKE. WILL VIKING WEST INDIES CRUISES BE AFFECTED?

Cahpek

We came across some indication on Feb 6th, 2019 that there is (another) strike by dockers in San Juan. However, the link to that new site was not working properly so we could not read the full report. We know in earlier in December 2019, San Juan experienced a dockers strike.

We are have booked a cruise with Viking in March leaving from San Juan and returning back there after the cruise,  and we hope that we will not be affected by the dockers strike.

If anyone reading this discussion board have any more information any possible future strike dates by these dockers , we would be grateful if you could share them with us.

Edited by Cahpek

Hi, I am a local in San Juan and am very familiar with the scene at the docks.  There's no renewed talk of another work stoppage.  The December union action was not a strike per-se.  More like a one-day walkout, in which management took over operations.  That walkout only affected operations momentarily at the PanAm pier.  Viking's operations never were affected, and we do not expect that they will be affected for the rest of the season.

Leave your worries behind and enjoy your cruise.

41 minutes ago, Aviator of the Seas said:

Hi, I am a local in San Juan and am very familiar with the scene at the docks.  There's no renewed talk of another work stoppage.  The December union action was not a strike per-se.  More like a one-day walkout, in which management took over operations.  That walkout only affected operations momentarily at the PanAm pier.  Viking's operations never were affected, and we do not expect that they will be affected for the rest of the season.

Thanks for your information. That puts our mind at rest.

As you are a local in San Juan,  may we ask you please, we are staying at the Casa Sol in Calle del Sol before the cruise.  To get from the B&B to the cruise Pier where Viking docks, is it very far away?  Can we take the tram, or a taxi, or is it so close by we can actually walk there?

2 minutes ago, Gnoelj said:

Thanks for your information. That puts our mind at rest.

As you are a local in San Juan,  may we ask you please, we are staying at the Casa Sol in Calle del Sol before the cruise.  To get from the B&B to the cruise Pier where Viking docks, is it very far away?  Can we take the tram, or a taxi, or is it so close by we can actually walk there?

Hi,

Calle Sol is six or seven blocks from the pier.  If it's walkable or not depends on your mobility.  It's all downhill, literally, but over narrow sidewalks and cobblestone streets (500 year old infrastructure), so even rolling luggage could be a challenge.  I've seen some AirBnBs and such that have golf carts to help their guests around the Old City.  Not sure if yours has any.  If you don't want to go through the challenge mentioned above, your best bet is probably to take a taxi or Uber.  The free trolley that goes around the city does not have luggage capabilities.  it's just for sightseeing.

Hope this helps.  Anything else, shoot.

27 minutes ago, Aviator of the Seas said:

Hi,

Calle Sol is six or seven blocks from the pier.  If it's walkable or not depends on your mobility.  It's all downhill, literally, but over narrow sidewalks and cobblestone streets (500 year old infrastructure), so even rolling luggage could be a challenge.  I've seen some AirBnBs and such that have golf carts to help their guests around the Old City.  Not sure if yours has any.  If you don't want to go through the challenge mentioned above, your best bet is probably to take a taxi or Uber.  The free trolley that goes around the city does not have luggage capabilities.  it's just for sightseeing.

Hope this helps.  Anything else, shoot.

Thanks . Your information has been very helpful. Where we are staying is not an AirBnB room, but one which we have booked via Booking.com,  and it has very good reviews on Tripadvisor. Looks like we will take a taxi or Uber as there has not been any mention of golf carts being available at that accommodation. 

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by Gnoelj

5 hours ago, Aviator of the Seas said:

Thank you so much for your local knowledge!  We are boarding the Viking SEA in San Juan on Feb 17.  Nice to know that we can rest easy.   As to location, I just found this today on Marine Traffic web site, showing how close the Viking SEA is docked right today Feb 8th, ahead of its next cruise.  We look to be very close to the Old Town.   As a local, do you know if the Fort will be closed?  I heard it might due to Government shutdown Feb 15 (anticipated). 

1511415745_VikingSeainSanJuan20190208.thumb.jpg.424a972914e4f46ed40795848d724547.jpg

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Thank you so much for your local knowledge!  We are boarding the Viking SEA in San Juan on Feb 17.  Nice to know that we can rest easy.   As to location, I just found this today on Marine Traffic web site, showing how close the Viking SEA is docked right today Feb 8th, ahead of its next cruise.  We look to be very close to the Old Town.   As a local, do you know if the Fort will be closed?  I heard it might due to Government shutdown Feb 15 (anticipated). 

1511415745_VikingSeainSanJuan20190208.thumb.jpg.424a972914e4f46ed40795848d724547.jpg

We were there in mid January during the last shutdown and the forts were open

On 2/8/2019 at 2:52 PM, CCWineLover said:

You'll be right in Old Town.  As to a possible new shutdown after 2/15, no one can say for sure, but as noted here already, the local government helped the feds keep the forts open during the last shutdown.  Even if the forts close, there's plenty to see outside of those and around Old San Juan.