Fakarava on foot? How do you get around if you can't bike?

VisionaryJax

I've been trying to line up an excursion for our one day on Fakarava. My husband is elderly and won't ride a bicycle, plus he is not keen to walk very far. And he doesn't particularly want to go snorkeling -- I had a great chance to get the last two spots on a snorkel tour that got good reviews and that several other Cruise Critic folks are taking, but he isn't sold on it.

So I read online about Fakarava Beach, which has great palm trees for shade and clear water so I can snorkel, and also I found out about a great place to do lunch at the lodge at a pearl farm where the tables are actually out in the water and you're surrounded by sea-life as you eat. My problem is, nothing I can find online says how far these places are from where the tender docks, and if they're far, how we get there. I know there are bicycles to rent, but my husband isn't comfortable with that. And everything says this is a quiet atoll with no tourism industry, so I am guessing no cabs.

Does anyone who has been to Fakarava know anything about how to get around the island? Please feel free to be as specific as you can. Thank you!

Hi there. I don't know anything about transportation in Fakarava but wanted to possibly discourage you from walking/bicycling. We were just there in December and it was sooooo hot that those who were bicycling were sweating and struggling with the heat. The heat and humidity are oppressive Nov-Mar, much more so that June-Sept.We walked about in several of the islands but quickly gave up and headed back to the ship we were perspiring so badly. I hope that you can find some kind of transportation. Like you say the atoll doesn't have much of a tourist industry. But you might want to contact Ato, Fakarava Explorer and see if he knows of someone willing to do it. Or contact one of the dive shops. Tours sometimes come together via word of mouth.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Hi there. I don't know anything about transportation in Fakarava but wanted to possibly discourage you from walking/bicycling. We were just there in December and it was sooooo hot that those who were bicycling were sweating and struggling with the heat. The heat and humidity are oppressive Nov-Mar, much more so that June-Sept.We walked about in several of the islands but quickly gave up and headed back to the ship we were perspiring so badly. I hope that you can find some kind of transportation. Like you say the atoll doesn't have much of a tourist industry. But you might want to contact Ato, Fakarava Explorer and see if he knows of someone willing to do it. Or contact one of the dive shops. Tours sometimes come together via word of mouth.

Best wishes.

Thanks that's good information and a good idea.

On 2/9/2019 at 1:47 PM, ski ww said:

Go to the roll call for your cruise & post there. I'm sure you'll find like minded folks there.

Thanks -- I had done; they are taking Ato's snorkel trip which I think I will book us on as well. We won't get to go to the lunch spot I researched, but at least I will know we have something fun to do and we'll get a local lunch on a motu.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2019 at 3:32 PM, VisionaryJax said:

Thanks -- I had done; they are taking Ato's snorkel trip which I think I will book us on as well. We won't get to go to the lunch spot I researched, but at least I will know we have something fun to do and we'll get a local lunch on a motu.

We just did a full day with Ato.  Was an amazing adventure.  Lunch was awesome!