Should we sail on MSC in the Yacht Club?

Nashna

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

Your mother sounds like she was a wonderful person and I'm sure she's a great loss to you.  Good to know she passed on such a wonderful attribute that you seem to have - and you've put it so well in your last sentence!  🙂

Here here...I second the emotion.  

No snobs here...just nice folks who love to cruise.  One of the things we loved about the YC was the fact that everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves without pretense.  I don’t believe the jet set views MSC as a viable possibility...thank Heaven.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jules815 said:

You absolutely should give it a try.

We sailed in YC on Seaside last month and loved it.  Worth every penny.  

Also worth noting, in all of your cruises, if you've ever done an interior, that's also an option in the YC.   I haven't, but having sailed in the YC, I would definitely consider it now.  There are so many nice outdoor spaces available to you that are never crowded.  I would choose an interior in YC over a balcony in any other area of the ship.

Great suggestion, but the OP is looking at a Divina itinerary and they do not have YC interiors on Divina. Excellent option if sailing on Seaside though. 

2 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Your mother sounds like she was a wonderful person and I'm sure she's a great loss to you.  Good to know she passed on such a wonderful attribute that you seem to have - and you've put it so well in your last sentence!  🙂

Thank you so much for the kind words.  I have great memories.  

On 2/10/2019 at 3:51 PM, gimletgal said:

Great suggestion, but the OP is looking at a Divina itinerary and they do not have YC interiors on Divina. Excellent option if sailing on Seaside though. 

Oh wow, I didn't know there were no YC interiors on Divina.  I was actually thinking about looking at an interior on Divina for a cruise with my daughter.  Thought it would be a nice way to try an interior and a new ship.  Oh well!  🙂  

We, too, are experienced cruisers...many with RCL and many with Celebrity.  Booked on Divina in December this year in YC.  Really looking forward to it and so encouraged by the great reviews posted about the YC.  Somewhere I read that there are formal nights.  Our trip is 11 nights...anyone know how many formal nights, AND, do the passengers dress in tux and gown (somewhat disappointed in how casual Celebrity has become over this)?  Would love to begin prepping the DHs to fit into their finery again--we are two couples that travel together and Carol and I would LOVE to dress!

Thanks for all the hings, encouragement and inside info!  Hopefully chat soon!

eileen.

There are usually 3 'Elegant' nights on an 11 night cruise (though YMMV).  Unfortunately less and less people are dressing up these days.  On our Armonia cruise last month you wouldn't even have known it was a gala night were it not for the crews' attire and free pre-dinner cocktails.  Not even the women looked well-dressed up.

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

There are usually 3 'Elegant' nights on an 11 night cruise (though YMMV).  Unfortunately less and less people are dressing up these days.  On our Armonia cruise last month you wouldn't even have known it was a gala night were it not for the crews' attire and free pre-dinner cocktails.  Not even the women looked well-dressed up.

...I guess that seems to be the way the cruise lines are all headed, boo hoo!  It does look from some of the pictures I've seen that the Yacht Club seems to be a bit dressier.  We're still excited about our new adventures with MSC!!

44 minutes ago, seahags said:

...I guess that seems to be the way the cruise lines are all headed, boo hoo!  It does look from some of the pictures I've seen that the Yacht Club seems to be a bit dressier.  We're still excited about our new adventures with MSC!!

It's not really the cruise lines changing policies - just less and less people wanting to go to the trouble of making a little effort (which is such a shame as the ambiance on Gala nights was always something special).

Certainly people do dress in YC - especially on the Captain's night, which is usually when he meets YC guests in the Top Sail Lounge, prior to making himself available for the pre-dinner photo ops.

Hope you enjoy your YC experience - it really is everything people say it is - and then some!

On 2/10/2019 at 4:29 AM, DMH15 said:

I am not the OP but so happy to hear you say that.  I am in a YC inside as a solo and I plan to get out of the room and enjoy the YC common areas.  Your post is very encouraging. Thank you. 

Let me reiterate the recommendation for YC inside....we had 12 days in a YIN on Meraviglia and, for us at least, the experience is more important than cabin type. Enjoy, we certainly did!

1 minute ago, hamrag said:

Let me reiterate the recommendation for YC inside....we had 12 days in a YIN on Meraviglia and, for us at least, the experience is more important than cabin type. Enjoy, we certainly did!

I'm really glad to hear this, HR.  I would be very interested in hearing of your overall experience as we're booked in a YIN on Meraviglia for 23 nights;  I still have some misgivings about it, TBH, as we've always had a balcony.

26 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

I'm really glad to hear this, HR.  I would be very interested in hearing of your overall experience as we're booked in a YIN on Meraviglia for 23 nights;  I still have some misgivings about it, TBH, as we've always had a balcony.

OK, maybe best to outline our cruising experience. Unlike yourselves, our 'normal' is inside rather than balcony...across our 44 cruises we have probably had 36 inside, and the others a mix of outside/balcony/suites. We would rather sail twice in an inside than once in a balcony and have never once thought we couldn't do inside again.

In YC, it is incredible that they offer the experience in an inside which keeps the cost much more manageable. On Preziosa (just returned) there are no insides in YC, so it is only the newer ships that offer it.

1 hour ago, hamrag said:

Thanks again.  I am confident it will be a great cruise.

We did a 12 day YC on the Meraviglia in the Baltic last fall.  It was really just ok.  I could not imagine being on that ship outside the YC.  Rooms are nice. Pool deck in YC is very very nice.  The food was ok.  By biggest complaint was the lack of activity and entertainment and....Other than fresh OJ and Grey Goose, the could not make a nice cocktail to save their soul.  

Could not not get my wife back to MSC even if it was 2 four one again.  

Prefer Carnival or NCL Haven. 

Maybe it it was just a European slant on things. 

We have sailed 9 times in the MSC Yacht Club and we simply love receiving great service in lovely surroundings onboard beautiful ships. We are no snobs, just a couple who loves cruises and the YC fits us very well. The private pooldeck, separate restaurant and the overall ambiance is wonderful. And we have made friends onboard, both staff and guests from different countries, an added bonus 😀 on our next cruise in YC, we will sail with some of the friends we have made onboard. The YC is great value and as I like to say it, affordable luxury 👍

• Like 3

Looking forward to it, NC.  It'll be our 6th YC outing on the only class ship we haven't done YC - Seaview.  I echo all your sentiments about how wonderful an experience YC is.  I love the fact that there's little to no snobbery, too;  just ordinary folk looking for a little more (as you say) affordable luxury.

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bulldogsoc said:

We did a 12 day YC on the Meraviglia in the Baltic last fall.  It was really just ok.  I could not imagine being on that ship outside the YC.  Rooms are nice. Pool deck in YC is very very nice.  The food was ok.  By biggest complaint was the lack of activity and entertainment and....Other than fresh OJ and Grey Goose, the could not make a nice cocktail to save their soul.  

Could not not get my wife back to MSC even if it was 2 four one again.  

Prefer Carnival or NCL Haven. 

Maybe it it was just a European slant on things. 

Respectfully - NCL Haven I can understand. Carnival - I can't quite see in what respects their offering compares to the YC. Rooms -  YC (especially on Meraviglia where the room are bigger!!) wins hands down in terms of design and quality compared to anything Carnival offers. However, I accept your position. Personally I can't stand Carnival's 'in your face' ethos, nor the design of their cabins (don't mind the rest of the ships too much) nor a few other things. Just as you have an aversion to the European slant. Glad the cruise market is so varied to cater for all tastes!

I have always found the drinks selection on MSC to be excellent, even on the more basic drinks package. Food I agree can be very hit or miss - although YC I would expect to be a notch up.

• Like 1

It seems like a first YC voyage is taking forever to get here. Not that I am wishing time away since we are "senior age" but I keep reading so many great things about YC. Sailed in Carnival Suites and NCL Suites and Haven, and all I think of is this wonderful time to be experienced soon.

On 2/23/2019 at 8:00 PM, Linda the Book Lover said:

It seems like a first YC voyage is taking forever to get here. Not that I am wishing time away since we are "senior age" but I keep reading so many great things about YC. Sailed in Carnival Suites and NCL Suites and Haven, and all I think of is this wonderful time to be experienced soon.

We are also anxious to try the YC in January.  We have a family cruise scheduled on the Allure this June.  We are in a suite, but the rest of the family is not.  I am not looking forward to the long lines and searching for a place to sit at the pool.  After that June cruise, we are done with mass cruise lines that don't provide a pampered experience.   

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2019 at 11:00 AM, Hlitner said:

We are similar to the OP in terms of age and cruise experience and recently completed our first cruise on the MSC Divina (21 days) in the Yacht Club.  We were so pleased with the experience that we immediately (while onboard) booked another Divina cruise (same cabin).  The Yacht Club area (and its dedicated Le Muse restaurant) is a real haven from the rest of the ship.  But for most entertainment you will need to leave the confines of the YC to take advantage of the many entertainment venues around the ship.  On our cruise we had an excellent rock duo (from Italy) which quickly made us fans.  There was room in the lounge for those who wanted to dance, but a majority of folks were just happy to hear a duo that could handle the Beatles, Eagles, and even Pink Floyd without missing a beat.  There were other bands (in different lounges) which also seemed competent and one could choose between Rock, Jazz, some Country and even classical.

Service in the YC venues was absolutely amazing...while service outside the YC was fair to awful.  Our thought was that with the YC you do get what you pay for, and for those who want to cruise on a  budget outside the YC...they also get what they pay for :).  In a sense, MSC is trying to offer different Experiences for different folks (based on their personal preferences and budget) and to a great degree they succeed.

Hank

We had similar experiences while on NCL - the Jewel and Dawn.  Suite passengers are treated royally, but I would not be able to recommend cruising on NCL (nor would I) in anything less than a suite, due to a lesser quality in services elsewhere.