vegetarian speciality dining

shanley

We have done very little specialty dining over the years and none since my teen has become a vegetarian.  We do not have a dining package, but if we were to go to one or two specialty restaurants on the Bliss what ones are worthwhile for a vegetarian? Although she is fine with salad and side veggies, we can get that for free in the main dining room and I don't want to pay for that.

4 minutes ago, shanley said:

We have done very little specialty dining over the years and none since my teen has become a vegetarian.  We do not have a dining package, but if we were to go to one or two specialty restaurants on the Bliss what ones are worthwhile for a vegetarian? Although she is fine with salad and side veggies, we can get that for free in the main dining room and I don't want to pay for that.

Try Los Lobos, the Mexican restaurant. The table side guacamole is fantastic and I pretty sure they have bean and cheese enchiladas and tacos 

Just finished a 14 day cruise as a vegetarian! We ate in a specialty restaurant every night and it was fine. We rotated Cagney's, La Cucina, Moderno, and Le Bistro. Even the meat heavy fiesta at Moderno! The salad bar there is amazing, and so is the broiled pineapple.

On 2/9/2019 at 1:56 PM, valleyvillage said:

Just finished a 14 day cruise as a vegetarian! We ate in a specialty restaurant every night and it was fine. We rotated Cagney's, La Cucina, Moderno, and Le Bistro. Even the meat heavy fiesta at Moderno! The salad bar there is amazing, and so is the broiled pineapple.

Valleyvillage are you eating seafood? I am not sure what you ate at Cagney's. All I've seen is a tomato salad and some side dishes on the Cagney's menu that are vegetarian. Le Bistro has one clearly vegetarian dish. Did you special order?

On 2/9/2019 at 11:38 PM, DMH15 said:

Le Bistro has a delicious portabella stack. I have taken my niece on NCL twice.  She is vegan and was very happy.  

Some good vegetarian indian food and veggie burgers in the buffet.  

Thanks. That portabella stack sounds good. My daughter would likely go for that.

She ate Indian food at the buffet every day on our last cruise. She manages very well to find food at the buffet and in the MDR. Sometimes she order the night before when her dad ordered his special meals.  It's just figuring out if it is worth the extra cost to eat at the specialty restaurants or just stick with the MDR.  I think we have to decide if the menu works for us that day and not plan in advance.

The bistro stack thing is good, but it's been on the menu for forever. Time for them to mix it up.

La cucina has the most choices, and you can ask for multiple half portions to try a few things. I don't think their food is great Italian food but the options are nice and varied. 

Cagney's I get the stuffed baked potato and a few sides. They're willing to make a tofu dish, particularly if you call in advance, but I do like their veggie sides.

Teppenyaki will make extra veggies but I can't sit and watch my food cooked in meat juice so I skip it. 

The MDR depends on if you like the choice that night. A few times whatever the main veg choice was I considered to be inedible (the pad Thai comes to mind. And a risotto dish that I don't think they make anymore). I try to plan my specialty dining around what nights the MDR options suck.

I usually like the Indian food at the buffet, and the salad bar. 

I certainly never go hungry - the variety is great even when I think the quality is lacking.

2 hours ago, shanley said:

Valleyvillage are you eating seafood? I am not sure what you ate at Cagney's. All I've seen is a tomato salad and some side dishes on the Cagney's menu that are vegetarian. Le Bistro has one clearly vegetarian dish. Did you special order?

Cagney's was for sure the most challenging! On the Bliss they offered me a delicious pasta dish. On the Star I just ordered a TON of the appetizers and side dishes. Loved the wedge (omit bacon) onion rings truffle fries mac and cheese baked potato. It felt self-indulgent and wicked so I really go into it! Oh, and mushrooms and broccoli.

I've had amazing vegetaian food on NCL.  We have been to a lot of specialty restaurants on differnt ships and there has always been a vegetarian option.  You definitely could see what the Vegetarian Entre is in the main dining room and request that they serve that in the specialty restaruant.  Like someone else said especially with 24 hours notice, I'd bet they can accommodate that. I always LOVE the veg. options in main dining rooms!  La Cucina is my favorite.

13 hours ago, shanley said:

Thanks. That portabella stack sounds good. My daughter would likely go for that.

She ate Indian food at the buffet every day on our last cruise. She manages very well to find food at the buffet and in the MDR. Sometimes she order the night before when her dad ordered his special meals.  It's just figuring out if it is worth the extra cost to eat at the specialty restaurants or just stick with the MDR.  I think we have to decide if the menu works for us that day and not plan in advance.

The staff wants to make her happy.  They will work with her.  

My niece had avocado toast, potatoes, oatmeal, etc.for breakfast.  And she loved  the grapefruit halves with a cherry in the middle.  

I'm going on the Bliss with my cousin, who is a vegetarian, in May. So, I've been paying a bit more attention to food choices for this cruise. I'm rarely interested in specialty dining anyways, though. 

I'm not entirely sure, but I'd assume another option you might have is if there's a specialty restaurant your family is interested in that may not have as big of a selection for your daughter, you might be able to arrange for your daughter to have a dish from another restaurant, food from the MDR/buffet, or get a "special" dish with some advanced notice (like 24 hours) that wouldn't burden the kitchen too much. That way you wouldn't have to worry so much about limiting your daughter's choices while having to pay for that limitation (getting something at the specialty restaurant that she doesn't necessarily want), or limiting your own choices because of her dietary needs. What I said isn't based on any knowledge I have, but certainly something else you could look into.