Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
TinkBellaMom

Help me feel better about booking an inside cabin.

Recommended Posts

At the risk of sounding snobbish, we have never booked an inside cabin.  It is mostly because we have only cruised once every couple years and I love the sound of the sea from a balcony, so it is affordable when you have a couple years to save for the trip.

Now we are retired and live close to the piers.  My husband is always looking for our next trip.  He found a 5 day on the Indy at a very good price, but only if we take a inside on deck 10.  He says if we take these we can cruise more often, which makes sense.

My main concern is that I will feel a bit closed in with no view of the outside.  My friends who love them tell me they are cosy.

Some opinions from both sides would be appreciated.

Deb

Edited by TinkBellaMom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TinkBellaMom said:

My main concern is that I will feel a bit closed in with no view of the outside.  

No one can tell you what it will feel like to YOU - try it once (good that you chose a shorter sailing) and then you'll know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will tell you what my parents, who were big cruisers in their day, told me.....

 

  1. How much time awake do you really spend in your room?
  2. If you just want to sit and relax, there are a zillion places to do that on the ship.
  3. You spend most of your time in your room sleeping.   All rooms look the same with your eyes closed.
  4.  

All that being said, we usually book an Ocean view balcony.    But like you, as we retire, and want to cruise more, and inside room is a great value, especially if you're a seasoned cruiser.

Edited by zdad59

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would stay home before booking an inside cabin.  

 

They are like giant coffins....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

I would stay home before booking an inside cabin.  

 

They are like giant coffins....

Yikes.  I did ask.

Edited by TinkBellaMom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

I would stay home before booking an inside cabin.  

 

They are like giant coffins....

 

You will have to decide for yourself but for me I agree with this.  I'm claustrophobic and could never stay in an inside room.  Lots of folks love them.

 

At least it's a short cruise so maybe you should try it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer balconies, but we also book insides as well. The best thing about them is how wonderful and easy it is to sleep with no light! When I book an inside I make sure to scope out a good relax spot to read elsewhere on the ship. I really don't mind it at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TinkBellaMom said:

At the risk of sounding snobbish, we have never booked an inside cabin.  It is mostly because we have only cruised once every couple years and I love the sound of the sea from a balcony, so it is affordable when you have a couple years to save for the trip.

Now we are retired and live close to the piers.  My husband is always looking for our next trip.  He found a 5 day on the Indy at a very good price, but only if we take a inside on deck 10.  He says if we take these we can cruise more often, which makes sense.

My main concern is that I will feel a bit closed in with no view of the outside.  My friends who love them tell me they are cosy.

Some opinions from both sides would be appreciated.

Deb

I've been in as many insides as balconies and while we love the balconies more, insides are better than not cruising at all. Try it. You may find that you don't mind in inside once in awhile at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I have stayed in pretty much every category at some point.  Balcony, ocean view, suite, and partially obstructed view.  Never thought I would like an interior, but I booked a solo this past September and that was the most cost-efficient for me.

 

Not sure I'd ever pay more for anything again!  I am typically only in my cabin to sleep or relax.  Cabin was quiet, and had plenty of room.  You can mitigate the darkness with nightlights or battery operated tea lights, or put your cabin tv on to the ships bow cam.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have cruised many times in everything from a suite to an inside on deck two. Just off Brilliance with an inside on deck 8, we had a great cruise. For us it depends on the itinerary and the price difference, sometimes the upgrade to a balcony is just not worth the extra money in my opinion, other times it is reasonable. I think you are limiting your options if you do not try and inside at least once on a short cruise. As stated before only you can decide if it is wright for you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are two alternatives to ordinary interior cabins that seem (to me) much less confining than ordinary interior cabins and often cost only a few dollars more: promenade view interior cabins and virtual balcony interior cabins.  The former are available on all Voyager and Freedom class ships but the latter are on only 8 ships and, unfortunately, the Indy is not one of those 8.  However, the Indy does have 168 Promenade View Interior staterooms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After our first 18-20 cruises were all in balcony's we tried a 5 night inside on Independence last March.  It was fine - didn't miss the balcony at all really which surprised us.  All of our future reservations are also balcony's, but once we move to Florida in a couple years we plan on pricing cheap insides occasionally just to get away.

 

For us at least, the biggest reason to stick primarily with balcony's is all the natural light/view more than the balcony itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I booked an inside for our 2016 Alaska cruise on Radiance to save money for adventure excursions. I only ever used the cabin for sleeping and assorted quiet time, I found it cozy and blissfully dark at night without any unfortunate funereal implications, and the ship's public areas had more than enough views of the scenery and seating to relax and enjoy it. Unless I luck into some great deal or upgrade, I will happily go inside for any future cruises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We also have done over 25 cruises and most have been insides. I can understand some who must have a balcony who might be claustrophobic, but otherwise, to us anyway, the cost outweighs the thrill just to hear the ocean at night.

We are in the same category as many here, who just use our room to shower, change and sleep. We prefer to be with others, all around the ship, and not hibernate in our rooms when there is so much to do. Yes, I would love to be able to get up at dawn and watch the sunrise from our room, but we value cruising more and we can do 3-4 cruises for what others pay for 2 cruises because they need their balconies.

Again, this is just us. Insides are a bit more cramped, but the sleeping is great. We usually leave the TV on, on the ships camera station, So, at night, it is completely dark, but in the AM, we can see what's doing outside. 

To each their own. You cruise to make yourself happy, so do what you feel would make you the happiest.

 

Cheers

Len

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're going on a cruise 🙂

 

I find that spending such little time in the cabin anyway doesn't really make much difference between booking an Inside & a Balcony. You'll be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suggest try a shorty and make up your own mind. Other peoples opinions are just that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a bit more checking on the cabin and it is an accessible cabin.  It is forward starboard and next to last cabin on deck 10.  I’m thinking it may be slightly larger than most.  I’m ok with it after listening to all of you who enjoy and inside.  Thank you!

We are fortunate to live so close to the ports, no more airfare expenses, and we can leave with little notice to take advantage of the deals.  No more complaining from me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dixieva said:

 

You will have to decide for yourself but for me I agree with this.  I'm claustrophobic and could never stay in an inside room.  Lots of folks love them.

 

At least it's a short cruise so maybe you should try it.

Pretty much axactly my answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have only taken two cruises, once ocean view and once balcony and would take an inside cabin in a heartbeat. Heck when you go to sleep it's dark anyway and you just need a bed. The cruise is the rest of the ship and the ports, not the cabin.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zdad59 said:

I will tell you what my parents, who were big cruisers in their day, told me.....

 

  1. How much time awake do you really spend in your room?
  2. If you just want to sit and relax, there are a zillion places to do that on the ship.
  3. You spend most of your time in your room sleeping.   All rooms look the same with your eyes closed.
  4.  

All that being said, we usually book an Ocean view balcony.    But like you, as we retire, and want to cruise more, and inside room is a great value, especially if you're a seasoned cruiser.

To answer your dad’s points

 

1, probably six to eight hours a day

 

2. With a zillion other people

 

e.and the hours of the night you lay awake the sound of the ocean and the soft moonlight make so much nicer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have 5 cruises booked and 3 of those are inside categories.  I'd rather cruise more often in an inside than less frequently in a balcony.  We don't spend much time in the room and inside is much better than being at home.

 

If you're worried of feeling claustrophobic, have you looked at a Promenade room?  Indy has those.  You get a window to promenade area.  We like them and quite enjoy.

Edited by LuCruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

To answer your dad’s points

 

1, probably six to eight hours a day

 

2. With a zillion other people

 

e.and the hours of the night you lay awake the sound of the ocean and the soft moonlight make so much nicer

To each his own.    Like I said, we currently choose ocean balcony rooms and love the view and ocean sounds.   There are other ways to do that though.   If you’re ok with that and don’t mind the things that go with interior rooms, then it’s a great choice.   One we’re likely to try in a year or two. 

 

1.  6-8 hours of your waking day in your room??  Wow.

2.  I love people so a zillion others is awesome. 

3.  I rarely lay awake at night especially on a cruise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will be fine.  Ships have lots of interior cabins and  the cabins are filled every cruise.  If you don't like it, you will know not to book one again.

 

m

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...