carnival pride or grandeur of the seas?

Tk10

Hello my other gay travelers! So i am a cruise newbie i plan on taking my first cruise at the end of this year possibly beginning of next with my wife however im trying to decide between these specific two ships due to my budget and also my departure port. Has anyone every traveled on either of these specific ships also if not atleast maybe the cruise line? Was it a good experience or a negative one? Also how did the atmosphere seem on the ship? Would be grateful for the help thanks!

I sailed on Carnival Pride a few years ago on a Baltimore to Bahamas (and Florida) cruise.  I enjoyed it a lot.  I have been on a lot of cruise lines but this is the only Carnival cruise I have been on and I found it about the same as the other main stream cruise lines.  I fun atmosphere; good food (particularly in the specialty restaurants), entertainment was enjoyable.  There were more kids/families on than some other cruises, but there was also a drag group on my cruise, so you never know what the passenger mix will be.  I have not been on the Grandeur of the Seas, so I can't compare the two ships, but I enjoyed the Carnival Pride and am thinking of sailing the ship again because it is so convenient to where I live.  

5 hours ago, flag fan said:

I sailed on Carnival Pride a few years ago on a Baltimore to Bahamas (and Florida) cruise.  I enjoyed it a lot.  I have been on a lot of cruise lines but this is the only Carnival cruise I have been on and I found it about the same as the other main stream cruise lines.  I fun atmosphere; good food (particularly in the specialty restaurants), entertainment was enjoyable.  There were more kids/families on than some other cruises, but there was also a drag group on my cruise, so you never know what the passenger mix will be.  I have not been on the Grandeur of the Seas, so I can't compare the two ships, but I enjoyed the Carnival Pride and am thinking of sailing the ship again because it is so convenient to where I live.  

Baltimore port is only 2 hours from us so it’s definitely the go to port for us to depart from. We want to spring for balcony and I know carnival is def cheaper in that aspect that the grandeur was and have hurt a lot of good things from non gay travelers on their ship and they said they enjoy it! I was just reluctant to pick either or because my wife and I would def not be over the top or affectionate but you can def tell we are gay, so I did not want staff or such treating us differently or possibly rudely during the cruise. So thank you for your feedback!

16 hours ago, Tk10 said:

Baltimore port is only 2 hours from us so it’s definitely the go to port for us to depart from. We want to spring for balcony and I know carnival is def cheaper in that aspect that the grandeur was and have hurt a lot of good things from non gay travelers on their ship and they said they enjoy it! I was just reluctant to pick either or because my wife and I would def not be over the top or affectionate but you can def tell we are gay, so I did not want staff or such treating us differently or possibly rudely during the cruise. So thank you for your feedback!

We were on Carnival Pride last fall.  We had a wonderful time!  I usually travel Celebrity, but this one worked out well for when we wanted to travel.  We loved having the balcony, but truthfully did not use it much.

It is obvious that we are a couple, and walk around holding hands & hold hands at dinner.  We never felt any animosity from staff and everyone was friendly.  I'm sure you will have a great time!

We are doing Celebrity Equinox in April and can't wait to get out of this snow!

2 hours ago, Chrism740 said:

We were on Carnival Pride last fall.  We had a wonderful time!  I usually travel Celebrity, but this one worked out well for when we wanted to travel.  We loved having the balcony, but truthfully did not use it much.

It is obvious that we are a couple, and walk around holding hands & hold hands at dinner.  We never felt any animosity from staff and everyone was friendly.  I'm sure you will have a great time!

We are doing Celebrity Equinox in April and can't wait to get out of this snow!

Thats great to hear! im glad you enjoyed your cruise and happy cruising to your upcoming cruise! Thats great to hear that was one aspect of a cruise i was worried about was how everyone is, i know even thought its 2019 people are still close-minded but everyone has their own opinions i just did not want to have a bad time from anyone being rude or anything as such, so definitely good to hear!

• Like 1

HI, Tk10,

My husband and I have been on Grandeur several times from Baltimore and we really like it.  In fact, we have booked a January 2020 12 night on Grandeur.  It has a wonderful, friendly to all crew and the ship is a perfect size - not too small or too big.  We have meet all kinds of people and couples on Grandeur and everyone - whether straight like us, gay, non-binary, etc. was just wonderful.  Long live diversity and acceptance!

The longer Grandeur cruises we prefer - 9 or more days, attracts an older, quieter crowd and very few kids which appeals to us. We are quiet, bookish people that enjoy our alone time and each other in equal measure but like meeting new folks, too.

I will be on Pride next month for the first time.  It is a gals-only cruise for me and one of my best friends.  I have been on one previous Carnival cruise, the Triumph in 2001, which was fine but rather more party-oriented but still enjoyable.

Wishing you both a grand time on your cruise!!!!

Edited by Bookish Angel

3 hours ago, Bookish Angel said:

HI, Tk10,

My husband and I have been on Grandeur several times from Baltimore and we really like it.  In fact, we have booked a January 2020 12 night on Grandeur.  It has a wonderful, friendly to all crew and the ship is a perfect size - not too small or too big.  We have meet all kinds of people and couples on Grandeur and everyone - whether straight like us, gay, non-binary, etc. was just wonderful.  Long live diversity and acceptance!

The longer Grandeur cruises we prefer - 9 or more days, attracts an older, quieter crowd and very few kids which appeals to us. We are quiet, bookish people that enjoy our alone time and each other in equal measure but like meeting new folks, too.

I will be on Pride next month for the first time.  It is a gals-only cruise for me and one of my best friends.  I have been on one previous Carnival cruise, the Triumph in 2001, which was fine but rather more party-oriented but still enjoyable.

Wishing you both a grand time on your cruise!!!!

the only difference i feel is even though im younger compared to some cruise goers but im a bit more for the quiet side and not a lot of kids however from just people opinions i feel the grandeur is bit outdated ? but i may be wrong? But the grandeur peaks my interest because of the tad longer cruises out of baltimore so that is where im torn. Thats great to hear about your experience i know every cruise can have different crowds however but hope you enjoy your cruise next month! And thank you haha i have yet to jump the gun on a specific boat and book a deposit but i know the earlier the better so.

On 2/16/2019 at 3:55 PM, Tk10 said:

the only difference i feel is even though im younger compared to some cruise goers but im a bit more for the quiet side and not a lot of kids however from just people opinions i feel the grandeur is bit outdated ? but i may be wrong? But the grandeur peaks my interest because of the tad longer cruises out of baltimore so that is where im torn. Thats great to hear about your experience i know every cruise can have different crowds however but hope you enjoy your cruise next month! And thank you haha i have yet to jump the gun on a specific boat and book a deposit but i know the earlier the better so.

I was on the Grandeur in 2006 and it felt dated then! I wasn’t a fan of the ship and I feel Carnival food quality far exceeds Royal Caribbean in the buffets and MDR in regards to selection and quality of product. My vote is for the Pride though I’ve never sailed her.

• 2 months later...

Ive been on the Grandeur 4 times (just got back 2 weeks ago) and Ive done the pride 2x. We are thinking of booking on the Pride again next year just due to timing/itinerary options. If you have any specific questions Id be happy to help. Overall I would probably pick Grandeur over Pride, the service is top notch and everyone is SUUUUUPER friendly. My first cruise on the Pride I had some major problems wtih but I think it was a fluke because the second time it was fine. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was on the Grandeur in 2001 or 2002, so clearly I don't have any relevant recent info 😊. My wife and I are taking our second cruise on Carnival over Labor Day. Haven't been on the Pride, but were on the Liberty a couple of years ago and going on the Dream. We never felt any animosity on our Carnival cruise, and there were several other gay couples on that sailing. Even though people are still bigots, as long as they keep their comments to themselves, I don't really care. Have a great time!