Tipping in the YC

roger001

Yea, yea..I know.  But I did search!  We are NCL folks who have just booked an MSC YC experience, mainly because at the moment it is such a better deal than NCL's suites.   But anyhow, since the YC is totally inclusive, do you still (if you actually do) tip the individual servers as they deliver drinks and again with each meal in the YC restaurant?   Yes, I do do that on NCL.   Anyone doing that in the YC?   

23 minutes ago, roger001 said:

Yea, yea..I know.  But I did search!  We are NCL folks who have just booked an MSC YC experience, mainly because at the moment it is such a better deal than NCL's suites.   But anyhow, since the YC is totally inclusive, do you still (if you actually do) tip the individual servers as they deliver drinks and again with each meal in the YC restaurant?   Yes, I do do that on NCL.   Anyone doing that in the YC?   

Were you in The Haven on NCL?

For non-NCL people, The Haven is NCL's ship-within-a-ship experience. Exclusive areas where the yokels can't go. Yes, I'm a little jealous. NCL started the concept. MSC is clearly going after that segment.

I got a promo on the YC.  With the single supplement, it worked out to almost $400 / day.  While I can afford, that, I would prefer to cruise more.  Your mileage may vary. 

44 minutes ago, roger001 said:

I could have written your post. I was a good tipper in Haven.  I have budgeted for MSC YC tips and will see how it goes when I get there.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SeaTheW0rld said:

For non-NCL people, The Haven is NCL's ship-within-a-ship experience. Exclusive areas where the yokels can't go. Yes, I'm a little jealous. NCL started the concept. MSC is clearly going after that segment.

I got a promo on the YC.  With the single supplement, it worked out to almost $400 / day.  While I can afford, that, I would prefer to cruise more.  Your mileage may vary. 

No Haven for us on NCL.  We like the Jewel class ships instead of the Breakaway bigger ones.   And I don't really think the Haven is for us on them on the smaller ones.   On the bigger ships, maybe.   We've stayed in the SF aft suites on the Jewel class.  I'm looking forward to this MSC YC thing though.  Looks really nice and seems to get great reviews.  We do have an NCL SF cruise first though next week on the Jade.  This is our 22nd NCL cruise and never tried anything else.  Guess it's time.  

1 minute ago, roger001 said:

No Haven for us on NCL.  We like the Jewel class ships instead of the Breakaway bigger ones.   And I don't really think the Haven is for us on them on the smaller ones.   On the bigger ships, maybe.   We've stayed in the SF aft suites on the Jewel class.  I'm looking forward to this MSC YC thing though.  Looks really nice and seems to get great reviews.  We do have an NCL SF cruise first though next week on the Jade.  This is our 22nd NCL cruise and never tried anything else.  Guess it's time.  

Ok.  It makes sense to tip as you go - if one is so inclined - in "regular" bars because you may not see that server again.

In the YC, you will likely have the same staff the entire cruise. If it were me, I would fall back on the tradition of the last-night envelope.  Seems classier to me. 

• Like 3

We also do the last night envelope for the waiter and assistant in the YC restaurant and our butler and steward.

We tip for drinks in bars/clubs outside the YC as the servers do not get 15% service charge on YC people.

Sometimes we tip the concierge(at end of cruise) depending on what they have done for us during the cruise.

25 minutes ago, SeaTheW0rld said:

Ok.  It makes sense to tip as you go - if one is so inclined - in "regular" bars because you may not see that server again.

In the YC, you will likely have the same staff the entire cruise. If it were me, I would fall back on the tradition of the last-night envelope.  Seems classier to me. 

Yea.  If the same staff is exclusive to the YC, that would be best it seems.   

12 minutes ago, CarolnLarry said:

We also do the last night envelope for the waiter and assistant in the YC restaurant and our butler and steward.

We tip for drinks in bars/clubs outside the YC as the servers do not get 15% service charge on YC people.

Sometimes we tip the concierge(at end of cruise) depending on what they have done for us during the cruise.

This is what we do also.  If we have asked for special concoctions from the bar in YC, we will tip the bartenders at the end of the cruise.  Also, some of the "butlers" in the Topsail get to be your regular bar servers so we tip them accordingly.  Tipping as you go in the YC is not necessary. 

2 hours ago, roger001 said:

Tipping as you go is something you do on land.  Since you are in the YC with the same servers for the duration of the cruise you can tip them on the last night using envelopes.  If you happen to become a regular at any bar outside the YC then, by all means, establish a repore...usually by discreetly giving them a tip.  You do not have to tip every time you order a drink and you do not have to tip every bartender you see...just the ones that give you special service.  

You our are going to have a great cruise in the YC.

• Like 1

We sail in the Haven and our first Seaside YC cruise was last year. Our next one is in two weeks. We tip in YC. Last year, I tipped the bartenders in the pool area and inside the YC on the first day and again the last. Last night, I tipped our servers, concierge, butler (loved him) little extra for room attendant and matre d. The person we tipped every day was Onil. He was the pool attendant. He doted on us every day when we were in a cabana or not and he was one of our vacation heros! 

I have our tips set for our sailing in two weeks and cannot wait to sail in the YC again. 

Edited by js

3 hours ago, roger001 said:

We had drinks every evening in the YC lounge.  We tipped our server in the lounge every evening.  We tipped our waiter and his assistant on the last night of our cruise.  I believe my husband also tipped the matre d.  

3 minutes ago, jules815 said:

We had drinks every evening in the YC lounge.  We tipped our server in the lounge every evening.  We tipped our waiter and his assistant on the last night of our cruise.  I believe my husband also tipped the matre d.  

Sounds good.  Also, NCL the butler and concierge are not part of the DSC and it is expected they will be tipped separately. How does MSC do that?  And what is the MSC DSC in the YC?  

3 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

Just to clarify, in the Haven the concierge, butler and bartender are not covered by the daily service charge so tipping them based on the level of service provided to you is appropriate. Is the same true in the YC.

Great minds think alike.  Just asked that also.  

1 minute ago, roger001 said:

Sounds good.  Also, NCL the butler and concierge are not part of the DSC and it is expected they will be tipped separately. How does MSC do that?  And what is the MSC DSC in the YC?  

I honestly don't know.

I know we tipped our butler, our stateroom attendant, anyone who served us drinks, including up at the pool, our waiter, his assistant, and the matre d.

28 minutes ago, js said:

We sail in the Haven and our first Seaside YC cruise was last year. Our next one is in two weeks. We tip in YC. Last year, I tipped the bartenders in the pool area and inside the YC on the first day and again the last. Last night, I tipped our servers, concierge, butler (loved him) little extra for room attendant and matre d. The person we tipped every day was Onil. He was the pool attendant. He doted on us every day when we were in a cabana or not and he was one of our vacation heros! 

I have our tips set for our sailing in two weeks and cannot wait to sail in the YC again. 

Totally, totally agree about Onil!!!! First time in my life I have given a pool attendant a large tip. He was so wonderful.

He is now on the new MSC Bellissima - part of the "shakedown" crew getting the ship ready for its first voyage. He will be in the YC as a pool attendant once again. They are so lucky to have him.

16 minutes ago, roger001 said:

The daily service charge in the Yacht Club is an extremely reasonable $12.50/day!

3 hours ago, SeaTheW0rld said:

Glad you found an opportunity to express your envy.  I'm sure it helps OP with their question about tipping in 2 situations even though you've experienced neither.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Glad you found an opportunity to express your envy.  I'm sure it helps OP with their question about tipping in 2 situations even though you've experienced neither.

You don't know me, nor will you. Click.  Ignored. Bye, Felicia.

30 minutes ago, roger001 said:

Yes, YC crew share in the daily gratuity charge.  Personally I didn't do anything additional tipping.  I never asked for any special service.  And while the service is excellent in the YC, that is the standard there and without any special personal requests or something out of the ordinary I felt the requested gratuity charge, combined with the premium we paid to sail in yacht club was sufficient.  We are pretty low maintenance, so there was really little opportunity for a crew member to go 'above and beyond' the excellent level of service we expected (and got) when we paid the premium price to be in YC.

Certainly I would never discourage anyone else from additional tipping if they feel it is warranted.  Or if they requested and received what I would consider a special service.  For example, on our cruise I saw, on number of occasions a Butler pushing a wheelchair for a disabled pax.  If that had been a member of our group I would definitely have tipped that Butler extra.  But not just for bringing me a drink or serving me in the YC restaurant.  But again, this is just me. I think my wife tipped our waiters.  That was her decision, which is fine.

Personally I believe everyone should leave the daily gratuity charge on, and that whatever anyone chooses to do or not do beyond that is strictly up to them.  I didn't have any drinks outside the YC, but if I had I would have tipped that bartender because I know that people outside YC either paid a gratuity expense on their drink package or they got charged a gratuity if they were just buying a drink, while YC pax just get it for 'free'.  But the bartender deserves the grat and gets it from everyone else so it only seems fair to tip extra in that circumstance.