Your First Princess Cruise

MsSoCalCruiser

Sun Princess in 1974 I believe.  It had just come from P & O Cruises and I got souvenirs from both.  Amazing how far they have come.  We had a tiny port hole to look out, no balconies.  But the most fantastic experience of my life to that time as I was only 18 just graduated high school.  Memories

• Like 1

5 hours ago, releck97 said:

Not a Princess ship at the time, Fairsea (later Fair Princess) in 1980. Princess bought out Sitmar in 1988 and she was re-named. The Princess pizza legacy came over from Sitmar. People would wait forever to get a fresh pie made for them in the pizzeria. That pizza was truly amazing.

Our first Princess cruise was in summer 1988 on Sitmar’s Fairwind (Fairsea’s twin) & six months later on the same ship renamed Dawn Princess after the merger.  

Sadly their wonderful pizzeria with freshly made pizza & calzone was removed after becoming the Dawn Princess as was the white glove service from their amazing Italian & Portuguese crew.  It wasn’t the 1950s converted oceanliner that was built for Cunard that made it so special but it was the amazing onboard service & food.

Our Dawn Princess cruise was still enjoyable...does anyone know whether Princess had the nightly pasta course prior to merging with Sitmar?

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 2

I did a baltic on the original royal, very nice ship; then did a cruise to egypt on the next royal (also a small shp, very enjoyable) went on the new Royal on a TA a years or so ago, not my favorite.    Glad I cruised when ship were still small. . 

• Like 1

My first ever cruise was on the Caribbean Princess in 2005. Was hooked from day one. Became elite last June. My parents loved cruising and started with Sitmar. Lost my mom on New year's day.  Booked the May 4 day on Caribbean Princess to see if I can enjoy a cruise without her.

• Like 1

My first Princess cruise was November 1990 - Acapulco to San Juan on the original (1984) Royal Princess.  It was Princess' flag ship and boy was it 5 stars all the way.  Best memory was transitting the Panama canal and they had a lavish brunch buffet up in the 360 degree Horizon lounge with ice scultures and played music as we cruised Lake Gatum - very impressive.    

• Like 1

Sapphire Princess -- October 2011 -- Los Angeles-Hawaii-Los Angeles.

Somebody above mentioned tableside preparations.  In the Sterling Steakhouse the headwaiter would prepare Caesar salads at the tableside. So, in all three of our visits to the Sterling Steakhouse on that cruise we ordered Caesar salad.  Mrs. XBGuy was very disappointed on our next Princess cruise (Grand Princess) that the headwaiter in the Crown Grill did not prepare the Caesar Salad.

Edited by XBGuy
  • Like 1

Golden Princess 13 nights to New Zealand.. 2016

It was to see if we like cruising....... We did, better than we could have imagined... day three we were hooked

We had three storms  a few days of 4.5m seas and up to 60+ knot winds across the decks  ( you had to hang on tight ) ... and because of the storms we missed three ports.......    and thought it was all great, something to remember.

Cheers Don

• Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 2:58 PM, Cruiserkenn said:

Yes, the head waiters fixed the pastas and desserts, table side.  Close enough that you were able to converse with them, often.   Desserts included cherries jubilee, bananas foster and peaches flambee.  Absolutely fab!

I would have loved that! 

On 2/10/2019 at 4:26 PM, Thrak said:

10 day round trip San Francisco to Alaska. Sea Princess in 2011. Inside cabin all the way forward on Aloha deck (A323 - 135 sq. ft.) So small I had to go outside to change my mind. Thought I would hate everything about cruising. Loved that cruise and will never forget it.

I am so afraid of booking a forward cabin. Sometimes even the motion in the theater bothers me. Did you have any problems with that? 

On 2/10/2019 at 7:42 PM, RMM34667 said:

My first ever cruise was on the Caribbean Princess in 2005. Was hooked from day one. Became elite last June. My parents loved cruising and started with Sitmar. Lost my mom on New year's day.  Booked the May 4 day on Caribbean Princess to see if I can enjoy a cruise without her.

I am so sorry for your loss. I know how much it hurts and it’s really hard to do but try to hold on to the happy memories.  

5 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Golden Princess 13 nights to New Zealand.. 2016

It was to see if we like cruising....... We did, better than we could have imagined... day three we were hooked

We had three storms  a few days of 4.5m seas and up to 60+ knot winds across the decks  ( you had to hang on tight ) ... and because of the storms we missed three ports.......    and thought it was all great, something to remember.

Cheers Don

Don...  seriously, wow. Brave.