Bringing wine on board

disneykins

What does MSC do if you bring on a bottle of wine? Charge a corkage fee? Confiscate it and return it to you at trips end? Take it and not return it to you?

We have an occasion after the cruise that we have a special bottle of wine for, so we want to take it on board and bring it off with us after the cruise. Should we put it in carry on or checked luggage?

Thanks,

Tony

From what I've been able to tell, MSC does not allow you to bring any alcohol (including wine), soft drinks, or water on board (except items needed for medical reasons, like distilled water for a CPAP).  But this is based on my searches. I haven't actually cruised with MSC yet, although the results have been consistent so far.

Edited by jame_g

no alcohol is allowed. or so they say. WHen I was on the Divina in June last year, I had taken lots of vodka in my non-detectable plastic flasks. they made it to my room. Of course you have a special occasion where you want a pretty wine bottle to be there, but, at each port in the Mediterranean I bought wine and especially havana club rum back to the ship. every single time nobody ever said anything to me when my backpack made it through the security machines. I came home with lot's of havana club rum and the bottle of wine i drank on the ship. So unless it's a very expensive wine bottle I would definitely try to take one in your luggage, worst case scenario it wont make it through, if not, you can always buy one on the ship as well. 

We bought a bottle of liqueur in one of the ports a couple of years ago and had no problem bringing it onboard.  We also brought almost a full bottle of Havana Club rum onboard from the Tropicana Club in Havana a couple of weeks ago - again, no problem.

21 hours ago, Valentina84 said:

at each port in the Mediterranean I bought wine and especially havana club rum back to the ship. every single time nobody ever said anything to me when my backpack made it through the security machines. I came home with lot's of havana club rum and the bottle of wine i drank on the ship. So unless it's a very expensive wine bottle I would definitely try to take one in your luggage, worst case scenario it wont make it through, if not, you can always buy one on the ship as well. 

We had the same experience. On the Seaside last month (wow is it that long ago already) I bought Rum back on board, even showed it to security before putting it through the scanner and no one batted an eyelid. 

Did this 3 times with the same result. 

That's not to say you're not supposed to be allowed,.