Nieuw Statendam

richwmn

I just boarded the Nieuw Statendam today.

Observations are based on cabin 1012, a single oceanview cabin.

I will start by answering some common questions about the "in cabin" experience.

The TV is large, wall mounted at the foot of the bed. It is mounted such that any access to any ports is difficult. It has been suggested that cabin stewards may be able to help you if you want/need to access these ports.

I have attached an image showing the 9 "live" tv channels available.

There are approximately 144 movies available for viewing. You may select them by seeing categories, or one listing of all movies.

The navigation around the TV menu is different than Koningsdam as of last November.

Other observations. I have been on Koningsdam twice, leaving last on November 11th last year. So far the Nieuw Statendam seems very familiar. It helps that I have the same cabin I have had on Koningsdam. Muster drill will be happening shortly, and then we will see how similar they are.

IMG_1256.JPG

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tommui987 said:

Rich:

Short of breaking a door down, would you have any idea of what C-1149 is like? I know it is mid-ship - though I would have preferred more aft.

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, tommui987 said:

Looking forward to it.

My wife, Eric and I will be on B2B in September and need you as a trivia partner!

I will do what I can about both requests!

Rich

38 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Can you tell me who is Master of the vessel?  I'm not sure if Capt. Noel O'Driscoll takes over this sailing or next sailing (and Captain Alberts Blog is currently a bit of a mess!),

Thanks!

The "Where & When" issued today begins with "Captain Noel O'Driscoll and the entire crew . . . ", so he must have taken over today.

48 minutes ago, richwmn said:

The "Where & When" issued today begins with "Captain Noel O'Driscoll and the entire crew . . . ", so he must have taken over today.

Hi Rich!  Glad to see you're posting from the NS  🙂  Didn't we have Captain O'Driscoll on our VOV?   He was great as I recall.  

I got off Nieuw Statendam January 30th, and was surprised to hear noise from the World Stage rehearsals and shows clearly in my stateroom each day - verandah #4030.  I was originally booked in 1018 (close to you), and upgraded.  Please let us know whether you hear any noise from the Main Stage during your cruise....you're closer to it than I was, but I heard from a passenger in your stateroom on Koningsdam a couple years ago that there was no sound heard at all.  If that's true, I'll book a solo stateroom and stay put, lol!

Sue/WDW1972

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

Thanks!

You will love his 'Hollywood Oirish' accent over the P.A.  

1 hour ago, wdw1972 said:

I got off Nieuw Statendam January 30th, and was surprised to hear noise from the World Stage rehearsals and shows clearly in my stateroom each day - verandah #4030.  I was originally booked in 1018 (close to you), and upgraded.  Please let us know whether you hear any noise from the Main Stage during your cruise....you're closer to it than I was, but I heard from a passenger in your stateroom on Koningsdam a couple years ago that there was no sound heard at all.  If that's true, I'll book a solo stateroom and stay put, lol!

Sue/WDW1972

I have been in this cabin on the Koningsdam twice and haven't had any problems with noise. I don't expect to on this ship either, but I will let you know if/when it happens.

Some early notes:

We had a good time at sailaway. About a dozen showed up at the appointed place. I hope that Lou and company were able to find us. I met AlbertaQuilter and her mother, and a couple of others.

After the sailaway I entered the Lido Market and found things to be just as they were on Koningsdam, so I easily found what I wanted. Had a nice dinner then to music trivia. It was handled by the assistant CD Grant, a very high energy guy. I noticed that the winners only got possession of a "Cup" to be turned in tomorrow to be presented to the next winner, not even the pins that have been handed out the last few years. True disappointment.

When trivia ended it was time for the Rolling Stone Venue to open, and they opened with a bang. They seem to be comprised of 5 or 6 talented 20 year olds who enjoy playing classic rock. The venue was full of people enjoying their efforts.

I left there to come to the room for a minute, I could here Rolling Stone in the hall to about cabin 1022 or so, but not any further. I don't know if it could be heard inside the cabins in that area. Nothing inside my cabin 1012.

All for now

• Like 2

Just looking thru all the various papers in the cabin and I found this list of officers:

Captain: Noel Driscoll

Staff Captain: Kevin Beirnaert

Hotel Director: Errol Nelson

Cruise Director: Ross McTaggart

Executive Chef: Vijay Jeevanandam