Rome hotels pre-cruise rank these 3

cruzgryphon

I'm going to be staying in Rome in June for 4 nights pre-cruise. I've narrowed my choice of hotels down to three see below. I've checked out TripAdvisor and the reviews are all pretty similar. Wondering if anyone here at Cruise Critic have stayed at any of them and would they recommend it again pre-cruise. Also all 3 have some sort of roof top restaurant/terrace and I'm wondering what those are like in terms of view of the city. TIA

- Hotel Forum Roma

- Capo D'Africa

- Hotel Monte Cenci

2 hours ago, cruzgryphon said:

I'm going to be staying in Rome in June for 4 nights pre-cruise. I've narrowed my choice of hotels down to three see below. I've checked out TripAdvisor and the reviews are all pretty similar. Wondering if anyone here at Cruise Critic have stayed at any of them and would they recommend it again pre-cruise. Also all 3 have some sort of roof top restaurant/terrace and I'm wondering what those are like in terms of view of the city. TIA

- Hotel Forum Roma

- Capo D'Africa

- Hotel Monte Cenci

The Hotel Forum is a Roman institution. It has a wonderful rooftop terrace overlooking the Forum, one of the best 'terrace' views in Rome IMO, I have several times enjoyed a glass of wine there while watching the sun set across the Roman Forum. The hotel itself used to be a bit run down but it looks like it's been recently updated.  Of the three hotels it is the one I know the best, and the location is good.

Hotel Capo d'Africa is probably a more deluxe/modern hotel but the location is further away from the center, past the Colosseum. I cannot say what view the terrace may have but, having just read the hotel website, as they make no mention of a view of the Colosseum (which they surely would if they had one), I would assume there isn't one. 

Hotel Monte Cenci is also unknown to me, but be aware that although the Google text for the hotel website claims it is located 'near the Pantheon', it is actually located closer to the Jewish Ghetto and Largo Argentina area. Not that it is a bad area, I just am always amused at how hotels represent their locations. Just looking at the hotel's location on Google maps, there is a chance that the terrace may have a view of the Tiber, but they don't say so. Alternatively it may look the other direction over the Ghetto to the Portico of Octavia. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Also, the Grand Hotel de la Minerva.  Right behind the Pantheon next door to the Bernini elephant sculpture at the Basilica Santa Maria Sopra Minerve.   Wonderful rooftop bar, overlooking the Pantheon.  Stayed there a few nights on my first trip to Rome.