Catano Ferry to Bacardi Factory Historical Tour for Family DIY Excursion?

sailawaybellaluna

Hi all,

I'm just thinking ahead to our day in San Juan, coming up in April.

We'll be there from 1 - 11pm with our children (ages 3 and 9) and grandma and grandpa. We've all been to San Juan a few times prior, and my family of four actually rented a home in OSJ back in 2011 and stayed a full week exploring!

That being said, we're looking for something a bit different to do this time, and I saw you can catch the $3 ferry from OSJ over to Catano. The ride is 10 minutes and I was thinking of booking the Historical Tour at the Bacardi Factory before hopping the ferry back.

Has anyone done this? Is the Bacardi Factory worth doing as a DIY excursion? With kids? Can you walk there once getting off the ferry?

I'd appreciate any additional advice or information you might have.

Thanks!

It’s been quite a few years but we took a ferry to Bacardi on our own. I don’t recall the cost but I do remember we had to take a van taxi once we got across the water, not walkable. It wasn’t the most terribly exciting tour, we mainly did it to get out of the sun for a bit before we could check into our hotel. 

The ferry is just $1 per person round trip and you catch a $5 taxi (each way) to the Bacardi factory.

That said, I'd suggest you visit the Casa Bacardi website and read up on the types of tours they offer. The historical tour is just a guided tour of their visitor's center and is about 45 minutes long. You don't get to see any of the factory floor with any of the tours. And I'd honestly say your kids will be like "Mehhh..."

Edited by Stinger-pr

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2019 at 6:34 PM, SugarStar00 said:

It’s been quite a few years but we took a ferry to Bacardi on our own. I don’t recall the cost but I do remember we had to take a van taxi once we got across the water, not walkable. It wasn’t the most terribly exciting tour, we mainly did it to get out of the sun for a bit before we could check into our hotel. 

Thank you! I'll check it out!!

For those of you that have visited Casa BACARDÍ Puerto Rico; are reservations/pre-booking tours are necessary?  I'd prefer not to be on a time schedule but don't want to wait hours for the next available tour either.  What have you experienced?

4 hours ago, gasman68 said:

For those of you that have visited Casa BACARDÍ Puerto Rico; are reservations/pre-booking tours are necessary?  I'd prefer not to be on a time schedule but don't want to wait hours for the next available tour either.  What have you experienced?

Well I always say to book ahead within a time frame you feel comfortable with but if you want to wing it, you can. The regular "visitor's center" tour runs every 30 minutes at x:15 and x:45. The mixology and rum tasting tour run every hour, on the hour for the rum tasting, at x:30 for the mixology tour. Check to see where your interest is and your time window. Good luck!