Trip Insurance Advice

beachhouse

We use we a combination.  We have a Chase Sapphire Visa card.  Below are travel benefits if you charge your trip to the card...

• Trip Cancellation/Interrupted
    If you need to cancel your trip, you may be able to get back some of your expenses.

Both the Preferred and Reserve cover up to $10,000 per person and $20,000 per trip. The benefit reimburses non-refundable, pre-paid costs, such as flights, hotels, and tours. Covered circumstances include weather, illness, or death in the family. Check the plan details for the full list of covered reasons.

• Trip Delay
    Chase Sapphire will reimburse you for qualified expenses up to $500 per person if your flight, train, or cruise is delayed.

Qualified expenses include hotels, meals, and other essentials. The Preferred benefit is for delays more than 12 hours (or overnight), while the Reserve is for delays more than 6 hours (or overnight). 

• Lost Luggage
    When your checked or carry-on luggage is lost or damaged by the common carrier, Chase Sapphire benefits will reimburse you. Both the Preferred and Reserve cover up to $3,000 per passenger (up to $500 per person for jewelry, watches, and electronics).

• Baggage Delay
    If your baggage is delayed for over 6 hours after you arrive, you can be reimbursed for essentials, such as toiletries and clothes. Both cards cover up to $100/day for 5 days.

• Travel and Emergency Assistance
    When you need emergency help on your trip, the Chase Sapphire benefit team can provide assistance free of charge. They can help refer you to English-speaking doctors or attorneys, or arrange for emergency transportation to a hospital or home.

This is an information-only service, though. The cost for services you receive are not covered by the Chase benefit.

• Travel Accident/Death Insurance
    When you pay for your air, bus, train or cruise transportation with your card, you are eligible to receive accidental death or dismemberment insurance coverage. The Preferred covers up to $500,000, while the Reserve covers up to $1,000,000.

for the medical portion we use GeoBlue, which is a yearly policy.  Have not had to use it yet, but ratings for both are good.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

We use we a combination.  We have a Chase Sapphire Visa card.  Below are travel benefits if you charge your trip to the card...

• Trip Cancellation/Interrupted
    If you need to cancel your trip, you may be able to get back some of your expenses.

Both the Preferred and Reserve cover up to $10,000 per person and $20,000 per trip. The benefit reimburses non-refundable, pre-paid costs, such as flights, hotels, and tours. Covered circumstances include weather, illness, or death in the family. Check the plan details for the full list of covered reasons.

• Trip Delay
    Chase Sapphire will reimburse you for qualified expenses up to $500 per person if your flight, train, or cruise is delayed.

Qualified expenses include hotels, meals, and other essentials. The Preferred benefit is for delays more than 12 hours (or overnight), while the Reserve is for delays more than 6 hours (or overnight). 

• Lost Luggage
    When your checked or carry-on luggage is lost or damaged by the common carrier, Chase Sapphire benefits will reimburse you. Both the Preferred and Reserve cover up to $3,000 per passenger (up to $500 per person for jewelry, watches, and electronics).

• Baggage Delay
    If your baggage is delayed for over 6 hours after you arrive, you can be reimbursed for essentials, such as toiletries and clothes. Both cards cover up to $100/day for 5 days.

• Travel and Emergency Assistance
    When you need emergency help on your trip, the Chase Sapphire benefit team can provide assistance free of charge. They can help refer you to English-speaking doctors or attorneys, or arrange for emergency transportation to a hospital or home.

This is an information-only service, though. The cost for services you receive are not covered by the Chase benefit.

• Travel Accident/Death Insurance
    When you pay for your air, bus, train or cruise transportation with your card, you are eligible to receive accidental death or dismemberment insurance coverage. The Preferred covers up to $500,000, while the Reserve covers up to $1,000,000.

for the medical portion we use GeoBlue, which is a yearly policy.  Have not had to use it yet, but ratings for both are good.  

Exactly..       Use the Reserve for benfits and supplement with yearly policy to boost medical coverage with Geo Blue.

On 2/11/2019 at 7:04 AM, WAVTAM said:

Exactly..       Use the Reserve for benfits and supplement with yearly policy to boost medical coverage with Geo Blue.

I have always relied on the Chase card but just discovered the pre-existing clause!! And that "kicks in" regarding a time frame looked at right before you make the booking! Be cautious about that if you and /or spouse have one!! LuAnn

I buy  "cancel for any reason" insurance. I found by calling insure my trip dot come they explained all the differences in the policies and when you had to buy your insurance  to get the best rate etc. I learned that last year and did better this year. They were the most helpful. I did better on the phone than online.

In the past we had great luck purchasing trip inurance though insuremytrip.com, or squaremouth.com

We now have an annual policy through MedJet Assist for evacuation (good anywhere when we are 150 miles or more from home), and use our Chase Sapphire Reserve for other coverage. We do not need additional medical because our supplemental plan covers us outside the US.

Edited by sippican

Just curious I got the Chase Sapphire reserve card this year for extra coverage and I know they don’t do medical  Evacuation  what is the cost for that with MedJet assist ? Not sure if we need that we are both just 53 but then again I guess you never know????

7 hours ago, sippican said:

In the past we had great luck purchasing trip inurance though insuremytrip.com, or squaremouth.com

We now have an annual policy through MedJet Assist for evacuation (good anywhere when we are 150 miles or more from home), and use our Chase Sapphire Reserve for other coverage. We do not need additional medical because our supplemental plan covers us outside the US.

For those of you who use Chase Sapphire Reserve as your insurer, please study the Guide to Benefits, last updated 8/26/18.  Information regarding emergency evacuation and transportation and repatriation of remains is found on pages 12 through 16.  Also check out following section beginning on page 17 regarding the emergency medical and dental benefit. 

I have found information about Chase Sapphire Reserve insurance to be inconsistent on this forum.  Google for the benefits brochure, download it, and study every word.  The benefits are quite generous.

Bon voyage

Betsy

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BBsails said:

For those of you who use Chase Sapphire Reserve as your insurer, please study the Guide to Benefits, last updated 8/26/18.  Information regarding emergency evacuation and transportation and repatriation of remains is found on pages 12 through 16.  Also check out following section beginning on page 17 regarding the emergency medical and dental benefit. 

I have found information about Chase Sapphire Reserve insurance to be inconsistent on this forum.  Google for the benefits brochure, download it, and study every word.  The benefits are quite generous.

Bon voyage

Betsy

Agree. Evacuation is a covered benefit of Reserve.

So is "cancel for any reason" if booked with Reserve.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, sdnich said:

Just curious I got the Chase Sapphire reserve card this year for extra coverage and I know they don’t do medical  Evacuation  what is the cost for that with MedJet assist ? Not sure if we need that we are both just 53 but then again I guess you never know????

There are different levels.https://medjetassist.com/

Just be aware, most evacuation coverage transports you to the nearest facility qualified to treat you, that's it. It might be in South America, China, ..... etc.  Should we need continuing care, we want to be able to received treatment here in the US, at a facility of OUR choosing. Huge difference!

9 hours ago, WAVTAM said:

Agree. Evacuation is a covered benefit of Reserve.

So is "cancel for any reason" if booked with Reserve.

Evacuation to where? For some of us - the nearest qualified facility is helpful, but not adequate.. I want to get home, and not at my own expense.

On 2/18/2019 at 12:37 PM, sippican said:

We now have an annual policy through MedJet Assist for evacuation (good anywhere when we are 150 miles or more from home),

Just to clarify for others, MedJet Assist does not cover evacuation from a ship.  To kick in, you must have been admitted to a hospital.

On 2/18/2019 at 7:58 PM, sdnich said:

I just turned 53, and also just renewed my MedJet; it was $295. 

As someone mentioned, the nice thing about MedJet is that YOU get to say where you get evacuated to.   Many policies just send you to the nearest facility that THEY think is adequate. With MedJet, you can be halfway around the world and if you want to go be treated at a hospital at home, that's where you get to go, provided you are stable enough for transport.  The one exclusion is that the policy only kicks in if you've actually been admitted to a hospital, so you can't get evacuated from a cruise ship.

8 hours ago, seattlecruiser said:

I do not think “cancel for any reason” is a covered benefit of the sapphire reserve 

If booking was procured with Reserve Card, and they deem the cancellation  is within reason, (not necessarily  death if family), then they will cancel and refund the monies.

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

Just to clarify for others, MedJet Assist does not cover evacuation from a ship.  To kick in, you must have been admitted to a hospital.

Yes, that is a very immportant point.

Just another reason why our Chase Sapphire Reserve card is so valuable to us, Priority Lounge Access, triple points for travel spending, $300 credit back,  trip insurance, evacuation coverage, more bang for your points when booking flights, etc  ... (You'd think I work for them, lol!)  https://www.chase.com/content/chasecom/en/card-benefits/benefit-details/Sapphire_Reserve/sapphire-emergency-evacuation.html

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

The one exclusion is that the policy only kicks in if you've actually been admitted to a hospital, so you can't get evacuated from a cruise ship.

We would not travel without MedJet Assist.  MedJet assist will only transfer you if you are IN a hospital more than 150 miles from home.  If you have been discharged from the hospital or treated as an outpatient, MedJet will NOT cover you.  We are aware of this and we still think MedJet is a must have.

10 hours ago, seattlecruiser said:

I do not think “cancel for any reason” is a covered benefit of the sapphire reserve 

You are correct. But "cancel for any reason" is not covered by most trip cancellation clauses, and is more costly to add.. Everyone needs to read the language very carefully if cancellation coverage is needed.

https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/sapphirereserve/travel

On 2/18/2019 at 1:37 PM, sippican said:

Just out of curiosity, what supplemental medical plan do you have?  Is it a Medicare supplemental plan?

4 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Just out of curiosity, what supplemental medical plan do you have?  Is it a Medicare supplemental plan?

Medex, a private Blue Cross plan offered by my previous employer to supplement Medicare. It coveres medical expenses abroad.