Meniere's disease and seasickness

arrhar

Does anyone here have any experience cruising with Meniere's disease? A diuretic has kept me from any attacks for a couple of years, but I've been on dry land. I'm a little concerned that the ship's movement might set it off again.

Been there, Done that, I have that. I too, was worried, about the motion of the ship, on the first cruise I took. Matter of fact it was to the Med. 28 Days. I found that the only time the ships movement bother me, was when the ship rolled. I have been in some pretty rough seas now. But it only bother me sometimes and depending which way I was sitting. Mostly when I was in the interior of the ship. If I started to feel a little dizzy, I would go to my cabin and stand out on the balcony for awhile, then I was right as rain.

On my last cruise I did have more of a problem. Love bacon, had to much, too much salt. Stay away from the salt. Lucky it was a sea days. So took a diuretic and a la la pill. I was good to go that evening.

On the diuretic, you know what happens. On the ship ok. On tours, they are not always available when you need it. Try on land not taking to see how you do. I only take if needed. Have fun in the Med. Great cruise.

Thanks, Greg. Good to hear from someone with experience with both the cruise and the condition. I feel like the triamterene keeps most of the effects in check, with meclezine for backup, should keep it at bay. I am in a studio, near the center of the ship, so I'll be aware of that. Good tip on the salt  - probably need to watch the caffeine as well. In any case, it will be an adventure!

My husband has Meniere’s. We’ve been on 5 cruises, numerous ferries, harbor cruises and whale watching tours, and never any sea sickness.  Also take Meclezine with us just in case, but he’s never needed it. Have a great cruise! 

• 1 month later...

I don’t have Meniere’s, but I did have benign positional vertigo and went on a b2b cruise.  It didn’t affect the vertigo at all.  I still had it, although it was getting better at the time, but the motion of the ship didn’t make it worse.

Strangely, I think I don’t get seasick because of my Meniere’s... my inner ear is already off balance all the time so when seas get rough, it doesn’t affect me as much as other people... Thought it would be an issue... but I have sailed through some rough weather where even the crew was affected and I was expecting to feel something, but didn’t.  Watch your salt and alcohol intake. I still do the “drunken sailor walk” because I have no balance from the Meniere’s but am not nauseous!! Be careful on the stairs and the movement of the ship... that’s the hardest part of how my Meniere’s affects me on the ship! Everyone is different, so best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I have Meniere's dz. Our last cruise I did have two attacks . The first was when the boat was docked . We went to Blu for breakfast. The humming/ rumble of engine along with the visual stimulation of the chandelier moving was way to much . Had attack that lasted over 4 hours . I missed going on shark tour . My advice to you is be careful when choosing seats. The sea movements did not seem to bother me & fresh air helps.Good luck . Hope you are able to fully enjoy your cruise.

I’m scared of this, too, having never cruised. I booked us on an Alaska Inner Passage Cruise August 2020, midship, because the ship doesn’t sail on open waters. It’s protected.

I haven’t had an attack since 5/18. I cut out caffeine 100%. My last few attacks were after less than 1/2 cup of coffee. I keep my salt even throughout the day & zero alcohol. I never drank much but had an attack after less than a 1/2 glass of white wine so that’s out.

Good luck!

I have Menieres and we are booked on first trip.  I am getting a little worried because I am having an episode right now that has lasted 4 days.    Wobbly, wobbly, wobbly.   I am debating on wearing my hearing aid on the cruise too.  I don't want to worry about messing with all the settings etc since I am so hyper sensitive to high noises.   Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...