Still Confused about Aqua Dining

mfs2k

9 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

A coupon for what?

Usually in Blu they will give you a coupon for one of the Specialties for the first night.  It is usually in the envelope where they explain the procedures for dining in Blu.  We missed it because it was just a small piece of paper. 

17 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Usually in Blu they will give you a coupon for one of the Specialties for the first night.  It is usually in the envelope where they explain the procedures for dining in Blu.  We missed it because it was just a small piece of paper. 

All of our cruises are in AQ and I always received an envelope but NEVER a coupon.

In the letter you are asked to come at a certain time on the first evening. They are trying to make it less hectic on that first evening. But you can still come when you like...

21 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

All of our cruises are in AQ and I always received an envelope but NEVER a coupon.

In the letter you are asked to come at a certain time on the first evening. They are trying to make it less hectic on that first evening. But you can still come when you like...

Its very easy to miss, just a small piece of paper.

Remember supply and demand can dictate if they offer it and how much. 

Edited by dkjretired

50 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

I've already seen discount offers for specialty dining on the first night. I'd prefer to go to Blu on Night 1.  (I'm obviously not alone and that's why they offer discounts for that night.)  I've already paid for and reserved night 3 in Tuscan and night 5 in Murano.  That's enough specialty dining for me.  Thank you for the info!.

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

I've already seen discount offers for specialty dining on the first night. I'd prefer to go to Blu on Night 1.  (I'm obviously not alone and that's why they offer discounts for that night.)  I've already paid for and reserved night 3 in Tuscan and night 5 in Murano.  That's enough specialty dining for me.  Thank you for the info!.

Enjoy, when you're in Murano, have the Grand Marnier Soufflé's, outrageous. 

i wouldn't go to the MDR if I was in AQ.  Almost anything they have in the MDR is available in Blu, but I found the Blu menu to be great.  They always have the standard steak, chicken, salmon for picky eaters

we ate in tuscan one night - nice, but I can eat pretty good italian shoreside in a many places

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:48 AM, Xport said:

Despite the fact that you've selected an 8:30 PM dining time, you did so solely to satisfy antiquated requirements of Celebrity's computer systems.  Blu offers Select Dining--that is, arrive when you wish to be seated during dinner hours--rather than fixed dining times and does not accept reservations--for a time or a specific table--for flexible dining.

Upon arriving in you stateroom on embarkation day, you will likely find a letter from Blu's Maitre 'D which suggests a dining time for first night dinner.  That practice is intended to allow the Blu Maitre 'D to "level out" dining demand on the first night until such time as he/she can gauge the dining time preferences of a new group of guests but is--by no means--binding; you may still show up when you wish during operating hours on the first night.

Having completed 18 AquaClass cruises, I can recall only one instance--it happened to be a "first night" when a very significant number of AquaClass guests all seemed to arrive at Blu at the same time--in which I needed to wait about twenty minutes for a table [they will give you a "beeper" to alert you when it is ready should you choose to go to nearby Ensemble Lounge for a drink].  Otherwise--perhaps I've been lucky--I've always been seated immediately or within a matter of a few minutes.  Despite coming across as somewhat cumbersome, the system has always worked very well for me.

As a courtesy, it will be appreciated if you notify the Blu Maitre 'D or Hostess/Host of your Specialty Dining plans in advance so they not expect you.

Should you wish to dine in the Main Dining Room and know in advance--day/time--when you want to do so, it is most efficient to have the Blu Maitre 'D or Hostess/Host make a reservation for you, you'll show up at the MDR Select Dining Room entry, join the "with reservation" line, and they'll be expecting you.  If you decide to dine in the MDR on an impromptu base, show up at the MDR Select Dining Room entry when you wish, join the "without reservation line, and they will seat you either immediately or when a table becomes available.

Blu does not offer the full MDR menu; rather they offer a few appetizer, entrée [steak, chicken, salmon], and desert favorites from the MDR menu that are available nightly in both restaurants.  The Blu menu isn't available in the Main Dining Room.  On Solstice-Class ships [Equinox is one of them], Blu and the MDR do not share a galley.

Enjoy your cruise and enjoy Blu; obviously I'm a fan!  

On my last cruise I was able to order from the full MDR menu.  Many times the Blu menu had nothing that appealed to me.  Just ask for the MDR menu.  They don't like delivering the food from the MDR because it is in a different area of the ship, but they will if you choose.

Blu is a treat and the reason for booking AQ.

I'm not sure if it is still the case, but usually on sea days the MDR is open for lunch and is open seating (you just show up and the seat you with existing parties) - why not go then, and see how you like it?  If you prefer it to Blu, then make arrangements to dine there for your other nights.

47 minutes ago, warmwinds said:

I'm not sure if it is still the case, but usually on sea days the MDR is open for lunch and is open seating (you just show up and the seat you with existing parties) - why not go then, and see how you like it?  If you prefer it to Blu, then make arrangements to dine there for your other nights.

As of now I’m booked in 2 specialty restaurants. Of the remaining 5 nights I’ll probably go to Blu 3-4 nights. 

Just now, mfs2k said:

Ice cream is a treat but that doesn’t mean I want it every night. 

Well.... Maybe I do. 

Where is the best ice cream on Equinox?

9 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Enjoy, when you're in Murano, have the Grand Marnier Soufflé's, outrageous. 

The strawberry crepe flambe is my fav desert in Murano.  Don't miss the lobster night in Blu, it's way better than the MDR lobsta. Like everyone else says, I would skip the MDR.  I think Blu is as good as most of the specialties on Carnival and I prefer it most nights to Tuscan too. Some nights the menu in Blue doesn't have a lot I like and I would consider Murano on those nights but most of the time Blu has some great food,  The cocktails aint bad either!:classic_biggrin:

And my 2c on Short ribs,  The WORST I ever had was in the MDR on the Eclipse. Our entire table of 10 sent them back as did the table next to us.  Horrible stuff.  My mom was on the same cruise and ate in the early seating and said there were fabulous lol. Go figure.  I was also served a blubbery short rib at a company Xmas party that had a few strands of shoe leather in it for texture I suppose:classic_wacko:.  Now I just avoid short rib in a banquet style setting.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TFLG said:

I was also served a blubbery short rib at a company Xmas party that had a few strands of shoe leather in it for texture I suppose:classic_wacko:.  Now I just avoid short rib in a banquet style setting.

You can’t make a great sauce with cheap wine and you can’t make great short ribs from a cheap cow. 

I've been offered discounts for first night specialty dining between 30-50% off when dining in Blu. As to the question about where ice cream is available, it's in the OVC on the starboard side near the entrance. It's scooped ice cream, not soft serve and there are numerous toppings available. Flavors vary daily.

We will be on Infinity next month in Aqua class. I'm a bit of a picky eater and having reviewed a number of menus, I'm pretty sure there will be nights when I'd prefer to order off the MDR menu instead of the Blu menu. Will that be much of a problem since I understand the dining areas share the same galley on this ship? I don't want to be difficult but I also want to eat what I like on vacation!

5 hours ago, iambumbo said:

We will be on Infinity next month in Aqua class. I'm a bit of a picky eater and having reviewed a number of menus, I'm pretty sure there will be nights when I'd prefer to order off the MDR menu instead of the Blu menu. Will that be much of a problem since I understand the dining areas share the same galley on this ship? I don't want to be difficult but I also want to eat what I like on vacation!

Yes , on M class the galley is close so ordering from the MDR is usually ok

8 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

What about S class specifically Equinox?

We didn’t have a problem on Equinox, we often ordered some of the staples, shrimp cocktail, onion soup, escargot, salad and Creme Brûlée and entrees

Another  place to eat in the evening is the buffet, it is quiet at night, often have special nights and has a grill to get things like steak, salmon,etc. I really enjoy the pasta section, basic but really good.

By the way the ice cream in the buffet is made on board, excellent.

if you like it in Murano as an appetizer they have goat cheese soufflé, warm and really good.

Edited by dkjretired

25 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

What about S class specifically Equinox?

They don't share a galley. The classics like shrimp cocktail, escargot, French onion soup, Caesar salad, strip steak, chicken and salmon are all available nightly in Blu. We've also found that Blu, because of it's smaller size is much better equipped to deal with special requests than MDR. DH was skeptical about whether he'd like it, but found that he prefers the food, service and atmosphere in Blu to that of MDR and he's not one who is a particularly adventurous our "spa-type" eater. 

15 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

They don't share a galley. The classics like shrimp cocktail, escargot, French onion soup, Caesar salad, strip steak, chicken and salmon are all available nightly in Blu. We've also found that Blu, because of it's smaller size is much better equipped to deal with special requests than MDR. DH was skeptical about whether he'd like it, but found that he prefers the food, service and atmosphere in Blu to that of MDR and he's not one who is a particularly adventurous our "spa-type" eater. 

Yes, on S class you cannot order from MDR, you can order a short list of favs. It is different in Luminae because it shares galley space with MDR.

ice cream is available in OVC as described, both scoop and soft serve. Flavors change over the cruise. There is also soft serve in the Aqua Spa Cafe and the Mast Grill. Gelato and alcoholic slushees are available for extra cost

On 2/11/2019 at 10:22 PM, Oville said:

This gave me a chuckle.  The worst short ribs I’ve ever had were in Luminae, a big dish of blubber. It was so bad it turned me off to short ribs for a few years. I’ve tried them again recently (November) in Blu and again on Viking Ocean (January) and they were fine but that blubber experience still lingers.:classic_blink:  Katie

Just got off the Infinity. The short ribs in Blu were great. Like the more intimate dining in Blu which we find similar to Luminae. 

Piggy-backing if I may... I am gluten-free and understand the general procedure (it is similar on the ships I have been on), but I have never done a ship where even with Select/My Time Dining I did not have a set table (DCL you have a fixed dining time; RCCL I have done MTD but made a reservation for in between the assigned dining times and was able to get the same table and servers). 

Is Blu small enough that this does not matter with a food allergy? Or if I will be there at the same time each night would they assign me a table and servers?