Picture-A-Week 2019 - Week 07

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, February 11 and Sunday, February 17.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Photography has taught me to "see" rather than look. Quite often, truly "seeing" a subject also lights the fuse on my chronic curiosity. In 1957, Don Featherstone’s second assignment for his new job at Union Products resulted in one of the most popular lawn ornaments in the history of, well...lawn ornaments. Modeled using a photo spread from National Geographic, it took him a couple of weeks to prepare the halves of the injection molds and give birth to an iconic piece of American folk art. Despite some ups and downs in popularity, sixty-odd years later they are still  brightening dull patches of modern suburbia and like everything else, available on Amazon.

Historically Pink

1098797730_2019-07HistoricallyPink.thumb.jpg.08acf0ee8ca88b5802dc25352ca9b91b.jpg

Dave

Red-flowering gum tree ( Corymbia ficifolia )

RX010723.thumb.JPG.7ebaa949086fb7e22df179475ac248c9.JPG

A very vocal juvenile Noisy Miner

RX010731.thumb.JPG.35b56a23d6ff9df509ee6565dba5e168.JPG

These two butterflies visited me on my balcony. While one perched on the hibiscus bud, the other kept fluttering above for a couple of minutes. Then they flew off in a nicely synchronised ballet performance ☺ Fortunately my camera was sitting on the table next to me ...

RX010768.thumb.JPG.b4b46d28b167a6fdc72517f0828c3da9.JPG

Edited by boeckli
  • Like 1

A little slow getting around to processing photos from this past weekend, but here are some of the local wetlands denizens from Saturday:

Tricolor heron and his reflection:

original.jpg

Male roseate spoonbill, showing off his mating colors (he may not be a flamingo, but he can do PINK!):

original.jpg

Great blue heron showing his full wing spread and legs as he comes in to land:

original.jpg

Another bird with 'great' in his title, a great egret competing with the heron by showing HIS wing spread:

original.jpg

Great egrets can also do a pretty good impression of a peacock.  You see the long feathers all clumped together on the bird's back above, streaming out behind the tail?  They get those during mating season, and they can fan them out peacock-style to attract a mate:

original.jpg

Cattle egrets are usually dull white birds with dull pale yellow bills and legs.  But during mating time, like many birds, they can turn on the colors - the legs go dark and red, the eyes turn red, and the bill takes on a rainbow of color:

original.jpg

• Like 3