Alaska cruise: Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier

hokkeika

Late summer Hubbard... Sept best.  and calving is highest according to USGS/NPS    Glacier bay best intro and all year experience.

Just a thought if leaving from Seatttle.... 90 miles south of SEA is Mt Rainier N P  with 26 active glaciers... go to Paradise and walk up to the Muir icefield/    you will see more glaciers in Rainier than on your cruise.....

• 1 month later...
On 2/13/2019 at 11:56 PM, Ms. Alpha said:

I agree both are worth seeing. We've done both twice.  Our most recent trip was to Hubbard (early July) and I kept waiting to get closer since our first visit we got very close.  It was still spectacular, but not as awe-inspiring as our first visit which was in mid- August.   Our first Glacier Bay visit was in late May, compared to late July for the second.  Both were spectacular and the commentary from the Park Ranger was a definite bonus so I would go for Glacier for the best "intro to glaciers" experience.

Appreciate the interesting details and background from this thread.  We are getting ready to do our first Alaska cruise in late July from Vancouver to Steward.  Our seven-day cruise includes time at Hubbard Glacier.  It sounds like BOTH are good options, but that with our timing, there will be much to see and experience in and around Hubbard.  Any other key tips, insights, suggestions, etc., in order to maximize the sights and photography opportunities at Hubbard?

Is my understanding correct that Hubbard is the largest tidewater glacier in North America and with a calving front that is more than six miles wide?  Plus, that iIts ice cliffs are about 400’ tall?  And, that it is growing and nicknamed the "galloping glacier"?   Other comments and insights for preparing to visit Hubbard from 8 am to noon on August 1, 2019?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Have been to both.  Very first cruise ever, anywhere, included Glacier Bay (month of August).  It was amazing!

Last summer, was at Hubbard in August and it also was amazing.  The weather was terrible that day, but did we ever have a great time  (so foggy that we could barely see any semblance of those very high mountains in the background)!  The calving was spectacular, and the captain said it was one of the best he'd ever witnessed.  

I would go back to either in a heartbeat.

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Is my understanding correct that Hubbard is the largest tidewater glacier in North America and with a calving front that is more than six miles wide?  Plus, that iIts ice cliffs are about 400’ tall?

Those numbers sound about right to me. 🙂  This is not a great pic, but it shows the scale as we were approaching our turn up close.That's the Rhapsody of the Seas (2,000 pax, 915 feet long) up close.

34hjssg.jpg

Edited by catl331

3 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate the interesting details and background from this thread.  We are getting ready to do our first Alaska cruise in late July from Vancouver to Steward.  Our seven-day cruise includes time at Hubbard Glacier.  It sounds like BOTH are good options, but that with our timing, there will be much to see and experience in and around Hubbard.  Any other key tips, insights, suggestions, etc., in order to maximize the sights and photography opportunities at Hubbard?

You are only actually near the glacier for part of that time - not really from 8 AM til noon.  I don't ever remember arriving at Hubbard as early as 8 AM... but in any case, the sail approaching the glacier, as close as your captain can manage, is absolutely wonderful - go out on the bow of the ship! Usually the bow can be accessed from quite early in the AM until and during the time you are actually viewing the glacier.  I try to go to the bow until the captain starts to turn the ship around, and then I make my way to the sea view pool area to keep the glacier in view as long as possible as we retreat from the area...  Dress in warm layers!! Gloves and hats included!

Edited by Moriah

1 hour ago, Moriah said:

You are only actually near the glacier for part of that time - not really from 8 AM til noon.  I don't ever remember arriving at Hubbard as early as 8 AM... but in any case, the sail approaching the glacier, as close as your captain can manage, is absolutely wonderful - go out on the bow of the ship! Usually the bow can be accessed from quite early in the AM until and during the time you are actually viewing the glacier.  I try to go to the bow until the captain starts to turn the ship around, and then I make my way to the sea view pool area to keep the glacier in view as long as possible as we retreat from the area...  Dress in warm layers!! Gloves and hats included!

Appreciate these great comments, background and follow-ups from syesmar, catl331 and Moriah. Very helpful and interesting, especially with the visual.  Yes, this glacier looks very, very BIG compared to this large ship, etc.  Keep it coming.  Excellent sharing!!  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling for "down under” wonders. Exciting visuals with key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 219,785 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139