Juneau on own

Missymssy

We have visited the Hatchery on a previous non-cruise trip to Alaska. Yes, you can visit independently, we did. It was an okay stop but I certainly would not call it a highlight in Juneau. If you check their website, they say they're located 3 miles from the cruise ship dock ... that would be along a highway road, too. If the weather is rainy (which is a HIGH likelihood,) it would not be a pleasant trek. Perhaps consider either a taxi or public transport.

http://www.dipac.net/getting-here/

If the weather is wet (which it very well may be), you will find all the locals going about their business in rain coats, hiking included. However, if you want an indoor activity I suggest the Alaska State Museum. It is fantastic. There is also the Juneau Douglas City Museum. Both are within walking distance of the ships. 

• Like 1

We've visited Juneau many times and I'll second the Alaska State Museum. The new one has been open a couple of years and you can spend quite a bit of time there. A walk up to the Alaska State Capitol Building is fairly easy and the self-guided tour is very interesting. The Juneau/Douglas Museum is across the street and the Russian Church is a few blocks away in the opposite direction. This year I want to walk out to the new whale statue - and DH will scooter. We go all over the place in Juneau! We've been to the salmon hatchery and weren't that impressed, but we're from the PNW and see all things salmon often. 

Karen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purpler0se46 said:

We are going out to Mendenahall glacier on our own.  We are going to use  http://www.juneautours.com/shuttle-mendenhall-glacier/ .  To take us out there. 

The shuttle is dandy if all you want to see is the glacier or just don’t want to be bothered by driving although it’s about the same price for a car rental as it is for 2 people on the shuttle.  A rental allows for much more exploring of the area.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 10:03 PM, AKfamily said:

If the weather is wet (which it very well may be), you will find all the locals going about their business in rain coats, hiking included. However, if you want an indoor activity I suggest the Alaska State Museum. It is fantastic. There is also the Juneau Douglas City Museum. Both are within walking distance of the ships. 

I was more concerned about not being able to view much from the tram if the weather didn't cooperate. But the State museum sounds interesting. Even if the sun is out! Thanks

On 2/14/2019 at 11:30 PM, Missymssy said:

I was more concerned about not being able to view much from the tram if the weather didn't cooperate. But the State museum sounds interesting. Even if the sun is out! Thanks

We've been to Juneau several times.  Once Mt. Roberts was "socked in" so didn't bother going up there, but the second time (2016) it was a beautiful sunny day so had a great time "up top".  Eagle watching was especially good!  We've been out to Mendenhall in all kinds of weather and always enjoy it--they have a very nice Visitors Center and there are various hiking possibilities.  [Note:  my great aunt was a intrepid traveler about 75-100 years ago and took a steamer to Alaska one year; the Mendenhall Glacier came all the way out to the highway in the 1920s.  It's retreated miles since then!]

• 2 weeks later...

I am also looking to do Juneau as a solo traveller when our ship is in port.  Interested in glacier viewing and maybe taking the tram.  do you suggest Mendenhall on my own-  or is there another suggestion for glaciers that does not involve helicopters?  thanks in advance!