Epic Interrupted

Briji04

9 minutes ago, New username said:

You have schedule position box  checked not the actual ship location.

19 minutes ago, SeaTheW0rld said:

Epic is at Great Stirrup Cay right now. Headed for Port C. 

https://*****/ships-position-norwegian-epic

Capture.PNG

19 minutes ago, SeaTheW0rld said:

Epic is at Great Stirrup Cay right now. Headed for Port C. 

https://*****/ships-position-norwegian-epic

Capture.PNG

LOL!!

5 minutes ago, Briji04 said:

This is crazy. I realize that people have commitments and air tickets  but there is an atrium full of folks waiting to use the free phone or internet that NCL has setup.  Someone just started chanting “money back”.

We have been offered 300$ change fee for air tickets and 100% credit. 

I spoke to a few crew members who were supposed to fly home tomorrow at 5pm. They can’t leave on time and I’m sure they want to see their families. 

Want to put pressure on Norwegian?  Video the passengers chanting and post it...

Latest live AIS radar tracking data, apparently not doing any faster than 14 knots all day. Pretty much validated and confirmed official NCL announcement. It is nowhere near GSC, at least 75+ miles NE of Nassau and easily 175 nm from Freeport ... 13 or 14+ hours from stopping there, if at all, based on observed average speed data.

As noted, trip insurance is protection or go self-insured as in rolling 3 dices. It's not what anyone bargained for but things happened.  I feel for those now in transit and will need to find lodging in Canaveral tomorrow night.  Hotels in the area probably all booked.

Collage 2019-02-15 16_28_24.jpg

Edited by mking8288

2 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to stay in port Sunday to fix the issue then leave for the 5 day on Monday so at least the return flights would remain the same?  Oh well, I am sure they do not need my advice.

I believe they are staying in port Sunday and leaving Monday. They've just given passengers the option to board Sunday and stay on the ship while repairs are being done.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, XLVIII said:

I believe they are staying in port Sunday and leaving Monday. They've just given passengers the option to board Sunday and stay on the ship while repairs are being done.

That makes more sense.  I'm not sure why I assumed they were leaving Sunday, but I did.  I get most of my exercise from jumping to wrong conclusions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I’m on the Epic. It’s a crazy place with people trying to change arrangements. No one feels we’ve gotten the full story. They just said there will be an update by 6:30. Hopefully they will be truthful with us and not just tell us part of the story. We could be stuck in a slum hotel so it could be worse, but this is getting old. Plus NCL offered $300 change fee, but I’ve heard most people saying their change fees are $500+.  Ugh. What a mess.  I hope they step up and do right by us

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, annielauree said:

I’m on the Epic. It’s a crazy place with people trying to change arrangements. No one feels we’ve gotten the full story. They just said there will be an update by 6:30. Hopefully they will be truthful with us and not just tell us part of the story. We could be stuck in a slum hotel so it could be worse, but this is getting old. Plus NCL offered $300 change fee, but I’ve heard most people saying their change fees are $500+.  Ugh. What a mess.  I hope they step up and do right by us

TY for updating us good luck!!'

28 minutes ago, annielauree said:

Thank you for keeping us updated.  Things happen, but it seems like this could have handled much better.  

Edited by MrMarc
Spilling.
  • Like 1

Ok just to recap because I scrolled back several pages and still not sure what is happening.

The cruise where the ship had issues, passengers are getting a 100% future credit cruise

Current cruise is arriving one day late and next Epic sailing is only 5 days and passengers have a right to cancel or take 50% off cruise and get 50% future cruise credit.

Is this correct?

If so, while unfortunate the compensation is really good

24 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Ok just to recap because I scrolled back several pages and still not sure what is happening.

The cruise where the ship had issues, passengers are getting a 100% future credit cruise

Current cruise is arriving one day late and next Epic sailing is only 5 days and passengers have a right to cancel or take 50% off cruise and get 50% future cruise credit.

Is this correct?

WOW, the pax on the Epic are getting a GREAT! Deal. We got ZERO when our cruise on the Escape to Bermuda was cancelled the day before, No option to cancel cruise, no money back, no OBC. We went to Port Canaveral for a half day and GSC a day and they headed back to NYC

3 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

WOW, the pax on the Epic are getting a GREAT! Deal. We got ZERO when our cruise on the Escape to Bermuda was cancelled the day before, No option to cancel cruise, no money back, no OBC. We went to Port Canaveral for a half day and GSC a day and they headed back to NYC

Why did it get canceled?

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Getting an "engine" (if you mean a diesel) would be far easier in Miami or Port Canaveral than in Freeport, where nearly everything a ship needs for a drydock period needs to be brought in at the time.  There are several marine diesel engine repair companies in Florida, licensed by the engine manufacturers, and they carry stocks of parts.  If you think there is a problem with one of the propellers (frequently called an "engine" on CC), then it might require a trip to Freeport, but Miami Divers are very competent to do most common repair work in the water.

Lots of speculations about Freeport.  Simple reason for this, the ship must declare a foreign port otherwise they risk paying $400 + fee to CBP due to violation of Jones Act.  All foreign cruise ships sailing out from US ports are sailing something called Closed Loop Cruise.  The cruise must start and end in the same US Port.  Puerto Rico is a US Territory, not considered a foreign port.  The ship would have emailed the full passenger and crew manifest to the ship's agent in Freeport.  He in turn will go to the custom office, get all paper work stamped, fees paid (yes, they will have to pay current port tax for all paying passengers onboard the ship).  You will must likely see a small boat or tug meeting the ship outside Freeport, all the paperwork will be handed to the Chief Purser so they can clear the ship on arrival Port Canaveral.  

15 minutes ago, happysailor1001 said:

Lots of speculations about Freeport.  Simple reason for this, the ship must declare a foreign port otherwise they risk paying $400 + fee to CBP due to violation of Jones Act.  All foreign cruise ships sailing out from US ports are sailing something called Closed Loop Cruise.  The cruise must start and end in the same US Port.  Puerto Rico is a US Territory, not considered a foreign port.  The ship would have emailed the full passenger and crew manifest to the ship's agent in Freeport.  He in turn will go to the custom office, get all paper work stamped, fees paid (yes, they will have to pay current port tax for all paying passengers onboard the ship).  You will must likely see a small boat or tug meeting the ship outside Freeport, all the paperwork will be handed to the Chief Purser so they can clear the ship on arrival Port Canaveral.  

Would they make exceptions for ships with 'issues' trying to limp home?

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

Is this correct?

3 hours ago, Briji04 said:

We have been offered 300$ change fee for air tickets and 100% credit. 

@david_sobe Not quite.  See the text I quoted below yours.  The current cruise is the one where the issue occurred, the info above is the offer to them.  The offer to the next sailing, a day late (though really 2 since it's a floating hotel at the pier the first day), and a shortened cruise at 50% off or cancel for a full refund, if I'm reading things right.