Epic Interrupted

Briji04

Epic was within AIS range 2 hours ago, headings as reported and sailing under 18 knots ... appeared not to be going any faster, for whatever reasons.  

By skipping Freeport entirely on this run, getting back to PC "should" still be close to on-time this Saturday.  

Screenshot_20190214-205510.png

Edited by mking8288

4 minutes ago, hladygirl said:

While I love sea days we go on Caribbean cruises to experience swimming in the warm, sandy and clear ocean water. That is something we can not do in Massachusetts. So yes it would not be the cruise I paid for and I would expect some compensation.

I hear what you are saying I am in Massachusetts also! I do love the beach days!

Edited by Reader0108598

6 hours ago, dad son team said:

I'm not sure is 100% refund.  It may be 100% credit towards a future cruise.  Either way, I would take that deal and run.  You just got a free weeks vacation.

It is a future credit. I misspoke earlier calling it a refund. 

On 2/13/2019 at 5:41 AM, chengkp75 said:

Even with 2 diesels off line, there is full power to power consumers like thrusters.  With one diesel generator off line, the ship can still provide full power to hotel and thrusters, and about 90% power to propulsion.

Thanks for the clarification.  I take it all on-line generators send power to a central "bus" (not sure what the nautical term would be) and then it is drawn off to different subsystems as needed?

Also, thanks for clarifying what happens after such an incident.  I've seen a lot of misinformation in various places (not just boards) about captains being fired, etc. despite no evidence a significant wrongdoing.

It is interesting Epic has conventional shafts; I think she is the largest passenger ship with that configuration.  

5 hours ago, AL3XCruise said:

Thanks for the clarification.  I take it all on-line generators send power to a central "bus" (not sure what the nautical term would be) and then it is drawn off to different subsystems as needed?

Also, thanks for clarifying what happens after such an incident.  I've seen a lot of misinformation in various places (not just boards) about captains being fired, etc. despite no evidence a significant wrongdoing.

It is interesting Epic has conventional shafts; I think she is the largest passenger ship with that configuration.  

All the generators send power to two separate busses (yes, that is the correct term), that are then connected together into one common bus.  The generators in one engine room feed one bus, and the generators in the other engine room feed the other bus.  In normal situations the busses are joined together, but if there is a problem with one engine room (fire) or with one bus, they can be separated and still maintain power to all services, but large consumers like the propulsion and AC will only get half power.

As I've said, Epic was designed when azipods were having their teething problems, so NCL decided to go back to tried and true technology.  Many people think that ships with shafted props and rudders are less maneuverable than azipods, but this really isn't the case.  Azipods are used for two primary reasons:  they can provide about a 10% increase in efficiency, and they cost way less in capital expense than the cost of the shafted propulsion, rudders and stern thrusters.  A ship handler who knows how to "split the screws" (run one propeller ahead while the other runs astern) to turn the ship, knows how Becker rudders can act like stern thrusters, and knows how to properly use bow and stern thrusters can maneuver a ship just as neatly and efficiently as the same ship equipped with azipods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, anthonyg1996 said:

Who is the captain he should be fired 

Please elaborate as to why this is your opinion?  I will just about guarantee that if the investigation finds that he followed all the company's ISM policies and procedures for docking the ship, that neither the USCG, the Bahamas Maritime Authority, nor the company will agree with you.  The investigation may show that he did not follow all policies and procedures, but that will take weeks to months to determine, so just wondering how you reached your conclusion.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

FYI once went to the port in NYC on the day of the cruise and was told the ship would not go out for 2 more days...it was NCL and the dock was full of people not being notified...cost us money to stay in NYC...NCL gave us nothing !....so for those looking forward to cruising next....and havn't been notified....that doesn't mean a thing !!!

17 hours ago, coscab said:

Epic is sailing out of PR winter of 2019-2020, I wonder if the locals will be a little nervous each time she returns😱

At least they now know not what to do while approaching the dock.   :classic_smile:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, quercus alba said:

Hey, they still got a 7 day cruise, no lack in comfort & amenities (unlike the Carnival disaster a few years ago, with no power/AC/toilets OR food), and a couple of ports to visit, and get a chance to try again for free.

I'd be happy with that!

Yea, they did get a hell of a deal. Considering when our cruise to Bermuda back in September ended up going to Port Canaveral and a half day at GSC we got zero. I would have much rather been on the Epic sailing LOL

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Yea, they did get a hell of a deal. Considering when our cruise to Bermuda back in September ended up going to Port Canaveral and a half day at GSC we got zero. I would have much rather been on the Epic sailing LOL

Yes they did , we did Jewel of the seas out of San Juan PR after the Hurricane. My husband is from Cayey PR it was his 70th Birthday. Royal would not let us cancel. took four hotels canceling before we found one . When we got on board found out through a local resident they basicly gave the cruise away to locals. We paid good money a year in advance! Also gave them free drink Package! My husband is a mild mannered man never ever confronts anyone ,he got into it with rude pushy people more times than I can count. One lady shoved me to get her kid in line at the buffet .We had done this cruise once before never again. Royal could have cared less. Worse cruise we have ever taken. On the bright side we had wonderful balcony neighbors! I think NCL did A good job!!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, anthonyg1996 said:

Who is the captain he should be fired 

Strongly disagree - if he is found to be grossly negligent, he'll be disciplined.  They will be able to scrutinize everything about this approach.  Ships are equipped with voyage data recorders (similar to black boxes on airplanes) so they'll know everything said on the bridge, and they'll have all the RADAR / ECDIS (chart plotter) / weather / Azipod angle & speed / various other information so they'll know EXACTLY what happened.  

Berthing is always dangerous, the ship is one giant sail, one gust in the wrong direction could theoretically push the ship against a pier even if a captain does everything perfectly.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ggooglyboogly said:

Strongly disagree - if he is found to be grossly negligent, he'll be disciplined.  They will be able to scrutinize everything about this approach.  Ships are equipped with voyage data recorders (similar to black boxes on airplanes) so they'll know everything said on the bridge, and they'll have all the RADAR / ECDIS (chart plotter) / weather / Azipod angle & speed / various other information so they'll know EXACTLY what happened.  

Berthing is always dangerous, the ship is one giant sail, one gust in the wrong direction could theoretically push the ship against a pier even if a captain does everything perfectly.  

THANK YOU    Agreed berthing is very scary no matter the port.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, coscab said:

Epic is sailing out of PR winter of 2019-2020, I wonder if the locals will be a little nervous each time she returns😱

Well at least the dock she will be using then will be a straight shot in, not much turning (unless she does a 180 degree turn to come in reverse) and straight into the wind. Oh and no dock extensions either...hahaha.

She could inadvertently keep going and run into the marina a few hundred yards away, though!

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

All the generators send power to two separate busses (yes, that is the correct term), that are then connected together into one common bus.  The generators in one engine room feed one bus, and the generators in the other engine room feed the other bus.  In normal situations the busses are joined together, but if there is a problem with one engine room (fire) or with one bus, they can be separated and still maintain power to all services, but large consumers like the propulsion and AC will only get half power.

As I've said, Epic was designed when azipods were having their teething problems, so NCL decided to go back to tried and true technology.  Many people think that ships with shafted props and rudders are less maneuverable than azipods, but this really isn't the case.  Azipods are used for two primary reasons:  they can provide about a 10% increase in efficiency, and they cost way less in capital expense than the cost of the shafted propulsion, rudders and stern thrusters.  A ship handler who knows how to "split the screws" (run one propeller ahead while the other runs astern) to turn the ship, knows how Becker rudders can act like stern thrusters, and knows how to properly use bow and stern thrusters can maneuver a ship just as neatly and efficiently as the same ship equipped with azipods.

Great stuff, Cheng.  I appreciate your insight.  Getting underway and coming into port were two of the most hair raising opportunities when I was on carriers.  I've found the contrast with how it's done in the cruise industry quite enlightening.  In Cadiz last April on Epic, it took six tugs to get us off the pier, as there was a Levanter blowing at 30 knots, right on our beam and pinning us to the pier.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Carnac767 said:

Great stuff, Cheng.  I appreciate your insight.  Getting underway and coming into port were two of the most hair raising opportunities when I was on carriers.  I've found the contrast with how it's done in the cruise industry quite enlightening.  In Cadiz last April on Epic, it took six tugs to get us off the pier, as there was a Levanter blowing at 30 knots, right on our beam and pinning us to the pier.

I learned a new word today.  🙂

le·vant·er1

Dictionary result for levanter

/ləˈvan(t)ər/
noun
noun: levanter; plural noun: levanters
  1. a strong easterly wind in the Mediterranean region.
    "strong levanters can cause squalls in Gibraltar bay"

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, johare said:

Saw someone post elsewhere that they are still heading for Freeport this evening and aren't expected to be back at PC until 5pm Saturday. 

Could you tell us where you saw this, we are on tomorrows sailing and would like to know if she is going to be late, would leave late and stop for lunch somewhere.

I've been trying to monitor quietly, just back within AIS tracking again, not going faster than 14 knots, assuming it is accurate.  Maybe some one currently on board can advise, I really don't want to speculate beyond ... (ship's live navigation channel, #21 usually, displays headings, coordiantes & other details)

I would expect the ship to be pushing it a little faster, if they could. Still some distance from Nassau & Freeport ... and PC.  Fingers crossed 

Collage 2019-02-15 12_41_59.jpg

Edited by mking8288