currency

griffster

hi

hubby and I are going to the fjords on the 8 june 2019 for one week. we are on BRITTANIA. what we would like to know is, how much Kroner does one take, as I have heard it is expensive. we only would spend on coffees fridge magnets!!!!! maybe a sandwich or two. we have booked the FLAM railway thro P/O. many thanks. lynn

I agree with Jean - cards are the way to go.  Norway is fast becoming a cash free country.  In Bergen just by the Tourist Office last year i had to pay by contactless credit card to get into the public toilets!!!  We took about £20 of Krone which we had left over from a previous trip but used our Credit Card for cafes, shops, tourist bus tickets, museums etc.  I think there was just one small cafe in the Bryggen where we had to pay in cash so there are exceptions.  Just ask before ordering if they take CC if you haven't any cash. 

You may already know but unless it has changed, the Halifax Clarity Card and, i believe the Nationwide C C are good for travellers offering zero transaction charges and near perfect exchange rates.   You could check Martin Lewis's site to see if they are still his top recommendations for use abroad.

Norway is expensive but for just coffees and a cake etc off the ship, it's not too extortionate.  Enjoy! 

• Like 1

many thanks for your info. I think we will be taking our cc and a bit of krone. looking forward to the trip, but we are also moving house, I do not know which will come first!!!!!!!! we are almost packed up, but there is a hold up with the seller, shes waiting for power of attorney!!! so who knows how long it will be.  thanks again.

32 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Yes but their exchange rate will be poor compared to even the worst credit cards.

And you will lose out twice on the exchange rate - £ to €, then € to Krone.  Halifax Clarity and Nationwide CC give you a rate which is better than the best High Street rate.  To maximise the savings the balance should of course be paid off in full.  Cash drawn from an ATM whilst offering an excellent exchange rate and no transaction charge does however attract interest from the date of withdrawal.  This is not much as long as you settle up as soon as you get home.

Norway is so expensive it is difficult to spend less than £5 in any transaction!  Use a credit card.

Don't forget if you spend over £100 on gifts etc you can claim the VAT back.  Ask the store for a form and compete it.  If you spend in mre than one store  Use one envelope for all your VAT refund forms as there is a surcharge per envelope.

I don't know if it is still the case, but Norwegian customs used to board at last port of call to do the refunds.

I don't like using my credit card abroad, although I have a Nationwide one which is pretty good. From a security perspective I prefer not to carry it around. For the same reason, I don't have a contactless card.  So what chance do I have of getting a coffee with actual money?!

I'm sure you will be ok - except for the loo in Bergen!   Whilst Norway is getting very much a cashless society what that means in general is that you can get by without cash by using a card but that doesn't mean you can't use cash which is accepted in shops, cafes, attractions etc. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 5:12 PM, kruzseeka said:

And you will lose out twice on the exchange rate - £ to €, then € to Krone.  Halifax Clarity and Nationwide CC give you a rate which is better than the best High Street rate.  To maximise the savings the balance should of course be paid off in full.  Cash drawn from an ATM whilst offering an excellent exchange rate and no transaction charge does however attract interest from the date of withdrawal.  This is not much as long as you settle up as soon as you get home.

I use the Halifax Clarity card on holiday because of the fee free foreign transaction but as you say you have to pay interest from the time of withdrawal at ATMs for cash. If you ensure the card is always paid off in full you can actually over pay so your card is actually showing a credit ( I usually load £500.00 on it). This means provided you don’t draw more than £500.00 or the equivalent in local currency you don’t pay any cash withdrawal interest either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexussteve2016 said:

I use the Halifax Clarity card on holiday because of the fee free foreign transaction but as you say you have to pay interest from the time of withdrawal at ATMs for cash. If you ensure the card is always paid off in full you can actually over pay so your card is actually showing a credit ( I usually load £500.00 on it). This means provided you don’t draw more than £500.00 or the equivalent in local currency you don’t pay any cash withdrawal interest either.

Thank you - thought I knew my stuff on finances, but didn't know that.