Maya Key or Pristine Bay Resort ?

minimom5

So, we have it down to these two choices of excursions for our day on Roatan . We'll be 2 adults and 2 teens. We'd like to do some snorkeling and relaxing but having a hard time finding good ,current reviews on these two places.  Can anyone give me some insight or advice on  either or both of these ?  Any info will be much appreciated. thanks!

Maya Key is just an island, not a resort.  It has all types of things around the island, lots of zoo animals (huge jaguars, all rescues) and a small Mayan museum, a pool, and a food area.  There is a fenced off area with nurse sharks, and a sea lion feeding show (we didn't do either).  Its just an island though if you are looking for a "resort".  It does have a long pier by the beach area, walk to end and get in water to snorkel the reef.  

Maya Key offers everything resorts do save for accommodation and cruise ship passengers don't need accommodations. I don't know what the big deal is about a not being a resort. 

The reef at Pristine Bay is too far out you have to hire a boat to get out to snorkel. I understand the snorkeling is pretty good off of Maya Key's Pier but there have been whispers about a current. 

10 hours ago, Guest 2000 said:

Maya Key offers everything resorts do save for accommodation and cruise ship passengers don't need accommodations. I don't know what the big deal is about a not being a resort. 

The reef at Pristine Bay is too far out you have to hire a boat to get out to snorkel. I understand the snorkeling is pretty good off of Maya Key's Pier but there have been whispers about a current. 

I never said it was a big deal about it not being a resort.  I just wanted the OP to know it isn't a resort and the other one is a resort.  

4 hours ago, Guest 2000 said:

Yeah ok but why does it matter? 

Not sure why it matters either. 

Depending on which port you are at:

Maya Chan is super convenient from Coxen Hole and probably not too bad from Mahogany. Several recent reviews on TripAdvsor.

Pristine Bay is some distance from Coxen Hole, nearer to Mahogany. Primarily a golf  resort. It does offer day passes but not many reviews as most people don’t venture that way on Roatan and i believe, from memory, it is quite expensive? I have been to other resorts but not that one.

The two will be very different experiences.

Edited by c-leg5

I completely agree the two places are going to be a very different experience, it didn't occur to me that the reason for the difference maybe because one is a resort and one is not. 

Communication is a challenge on a good day, then you add in my bad days and meeh!!  :0) 

I went to Maya Key in 2008 when it was Fins & Flippers and enjoyed it.  I would like to go again in April when I will be there, but it appears you must book through your cruise line and Holland America does not list this as an excursion. I emailed Maya Key for options and got no response. I asked an TA and was told there would be a representative of Maya Key at the port and I could book there. Has anyone done this at Mahogany Bay? Does anyone know the cost if booked at the port? 

1 hour ago, JT1962 said:

I went to Maya Key in 2008 when it was Fins & Flippers and enjoyed it.  I would like to go again in April when I will be there, but it appears you must book through your cruise line and Holland America does not list this as an excursion. I emailed Maya Key for options and got no response. I asked an TA and was told there would be a representative of Maya Key at the port and I could book there. Has anyone done this at Mahogany Bay? Does anyone know the cost if booked at the port? 

I am booked to go to Maya Key in March through NCL. Their rate is $79, which includes lunch. My understanding was that Maya Key doesn't allow direct bookings, and only books through the cruise lines at this point. Hopefully you are able to purchase once you dock, but I would have a backup plan in place, just in case.

1 hour ago, JT1962 said:

7 minutes ago, calmpets said:

I am booked to go to Maya Key in March through NCL. Their rate is $79, which includes lunch. My understanding was that Maya Key doesn't allow direct bookings, and only books through the cruise lines at this point. Hopefully you are able to purchase once you dock, but I would have a backup plan in place, just in case.

I have only done Maya key from Coxen Hole (where NCL) docks, both as Fins and Flippers and later through the cruise line. Through the cruise line the boat actually pulls into the port area and is very convenient. 

I have never been to Mahogany Bay but it is my understanding the ferry also leaves from the port area ( someone familar with that dock will correct me) so unless there is a Carnival ship in at the same time I am not sure how you would get to Maya Key. I am surprised your ship is not offering it, perhaps it just isn't scheduled yet? 

Also there is a board at Maya Key scheduling lunch and available activities for the different ships so you would need to watch your timing if you do get there.