"Almost" Live from Explorer

Travelcat2

Safe travels to you and your husband and look forward to reading all about it.  I am so glad that you posted about this experience as it's a good reminder to all of us to plan for every eventuality when booking connecting flights.  Lesson learned vicariously.  Enjoy!

15 hours ago, rcandkc said:

Anything with codeine is only by prescription in the US.  Also, most Dr will not prescribe unless cough is really bad. 

The US is very strange.  In Switzerland you can hardly buy any OTC medicines.  Almost everything is on a prescription basis and only recently have the supermarkets started selling things like Glucosamin.  In the US you can buy a huge number of things OTC.  Yet not Benelin?   I asked when I was there once and needed cough syrup.  Was told - no.  We don't have  it.

Jackie - last evening I was SO worried about you and Dennis I checked the Vancouver/DFW flights to be sure you had taken off!!  Saw that your flight (AC? I think that was you?) left 2 hrs late but made it to DFW.  the AA flight leaving later was reported on time but that was before flight time.

I do hope that you are now in Santiago...where I see it will be 32°C which is very nice summer weather indeed and you two deserve it!

Update on the cough situation onboard.  Apparently several crew including 3 of the entertainers and some passengers are affected.  One of the fellows we have become friends with has come down with it, but his wife is fine.   He is confined to his room till tonight (3 days total).  It is not flu, just an upper respiratory virus.  Unfortunately washing things isn’t going to really help with that as it is airborne.

3 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

The US is very strange.  In Switzerland you can hardly buy any OTC medicines.  Almost everything is on a prescription basis and only recently have the supermarkets started selling things like Glucosamin.  In the US you can buy a huge number of things OTC.  Yet not Benelin?   I asked when I was there once and needed cough syrup.  Was told - no.  We don't have  it.

Hambagalhe, medicines with codeine were available OTC in Switzerland until 31st december 2018, but now codeine syrup is delivered by prescription only due to a new regulation in effect since 1st january 2019.

1 hour ago, jps1030 said:

Hambagalhe, medicines with codeine were available OTC in Switzerland until 31st december 2018, but now codeine syrup is delivered by prescription only due to a new regulation in effect since 1st january 2019.

Well that is certainly news to me.  And to Swiss pharmacists!!  Because I bought some benelyn with codeine just last week.   From my local pharmacy.  Certainly not illegal or I could not have bought it.

Greetings from the Mandarin Oriental (aka Hotel Santiago).  Going to start a new thread.

Have to make one comment as our friend in Australia posted (Down Under).  Lee, so happy that you found this thread - wish that we were sailing together on this cruise.  Love to you and Michael.

• Like 1

Hambagahle, for your information

Swissmedic.docx

So - I see it now needs a prescription.   Very strange.  Not only did I buy some last week but our femme de ménage bought some in another pharmacy in another town here in the VS as well.   Clearly this news hasn't yet filtered down to us in the "Texas of CH" ...  Next time I need some if I am asked for prescription I will have my doctor send it to the pharmacy...

Ugh! Horrible experience. One of the reasons I try to never fly AA. Of course, if it is part of the Regent booking, you don’t have much choice. We have always found it beneficial to leave a day or two early,stay in a hotel and enjoy the host city.

On 2/12/2019 at 7:48 PM, gnomie1 said:

The combination of cold weather and unusually activity, even in older individuals "who work out" can cause problems. I remember the Chief of Emergency always telling us that no one over the age of 60 should shovel snow.

gnomie :classic_smile:

No one over the age of 60 should shovel snow?????

are you frigging kidding me?

That is WAY too much of a generalization. I am 61 and I shovel our snow, and chip at two inches of ice that formed while we were away enjoying some sunshine.

is their medical studies to back up such a ridiculous statement?

3 hours ago, purpleally said:

No one over the age of 60 should shovel snow?????

are you frigging kidding me?

That is WAY too much of a generalization. I am 61 and I shovel our snow, and chip at two inches of ice that formed while we were away enjoying some sunshine.

is their medical studies to back up such a ridiculous statement?

https://www.ajconline.org/article/S0002-9149(97)89181-3/abstract

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-30119410

Actually, there are quite a few studies.  Most reputable medical journals require a subscription to access the complete text of medical journals so I cannot link them, but your local library may have the ability to access them.

There are plenty of articles in the lay press that quote data from medical studies.

Dr. Barry Franklin has done extensive research on the subject and is regarded as an expert in the field, he spoke at the hospital that I worked at.

gnomie :classic_smile:

I am almost 77 and I shovel snow.  My husband is 81 and he shovels snow.  (Not if we do not have to of course...)  We are fit people.  Golfers who walk the course.  And play 3-4 times a week.  I have heard that some people have died as a result of snow shoveling but so fare - we haven't.  Will post if I do!

9 hours ago, gnomie1 said:

https://www.ajconline.org/article/S0002-9149(97)89181-3/abstract

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-30119410

Actually, there are quite a few studies.  Most reputable medical journals require a subscription to access the complete text of medical journals so I cannot link them, but your local library may have the ability to access them.

There are plenty of articles in the lay press that quote data from medical studies.

Dr. Barry Franklin has done extensive research on the subject and is regarded as an expert in the field, he spoke at the hospital that I worked at.

gnomie :classic_smile:

Thank you. I will check them out and ask my doctor. I am in above average health for 61 years but I certainly don’t want to keel over due to stubbornness. And I like to shovel!  Appreciate the info