Anyone been in February - how is the sargassum (aka seaweed) right now?

Texasgingerbread

We were there last Thursday and it was not an issue.  Some guys taking and carrying it away in the morning, and some washed up during the day, but the water was clear and enjoyable.  We had a great day at Tropicante 😎😎

25 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

We were there last Thursday and it was not an issue.  Some guys taking and carrying it away in the morning, and some washed up during the day, but the water was clear and enjoyable.  We had a great day at Tropicante 😎😎

Good to know, we will be there next week!

Unfortunately we learnt last year,  a few weeks can make a lot of difference so fingers crossed they don’t get a repeat of last year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2019 at 2:02 PM, JohninDC said:

On 2/12/2019 at 2:29 PM, c-leg5 said:

Good to know, we will be there next week!

Unfortunately we learnt last year,  a few weeks can make a lot of difference so fingers crossed they don’t get a repeat of last year.

Unfortunately sargassum had returned to Tropicante yesterday when we were there. They said it started again a couple of weeks ago they are going to erect a barrier again if it continues.

Do was there last week and the seaweed was really bad.  We went to crazy lobster (no fee for entrance or chairs,umbrellas and use of kayaks) we  bought a few $1 corona splits and enjoyed a nice sunny very inexpensive day on our 5th visit to Costa Maya. 

This is my fear too.

Everyone keeps saying Maya Chen and Jamie's are so nice with service and what not, but I don't see myself getting in that murky sargassum water.   Since we're spending beach days on both islands before & after Costa Maya, I'm thinking of skipping the beach.

I don't know what else to do other than walk around the port area.  We will have small kids with us, so ruins and zip lining are out.

Is Crazy Lobster and Tropicante walking distance or is that a taxi ride?  Anything for kids to do?

It's also my birthday so I'm hoping not to make it a throw away day

6 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

This is my fear too.

Everyone keeps saying Maya Chen and Jamie's are so nice with service and what not, but I don't see myself getting in that murky sargassum water.   Since we're spending beach days on both islands before & after Costa Maya, I'm thinking of skipping the beach.

I don't know what else to do other than walk around the port area.  We will have small kids with us, so ruins and zip lining are out.

Is Crazy Lobster and Tropicante walking distance or is that a taxi ride?  Anything for kids to do?

It's also my birthday so I'm hoping not to make it a throw away day

If you aren't doing beach - it’s port or waterpark. The Malecon is a taxi ride or shuttle away with kids.

We were there about a week ago.    Glad we went to a beach resort furthest down the strand from the cruise ships.....40 Canones.   Had no seagrass buildup.   Closer we walked towards the end where the ships are....more gunk in water.   Ate at Crazy Lobster beachside...it was pleasant....then headed back the other end of the beach strand where it was clear.   

We were at Maya Chan 1 March. Seagrass was bad. We didn’t get in the water. As you can see, there were 9 guys working their butts off, but it was pretty overwhelming. Will make me reconsider next time at port when given the option to cancel because of how bad it is.  

6A022D1B-80D4-4540-873D-B0AFAF525D1E.jpeg

50 minutes ago, BullyLvr said:

We were at Maya Chan 1 March. Seagrass was bad. We didn’t get in the water. As you can see, there were 9 guys working their butts off, but it was pretty overwhelming. Will make me reconsider next time at port when given the option to cancel because of how bad it is.  

Sorry you had a disappointing time. We had a similar experience there this time last year but it is seaweed not seagrass that is the main problem.

The webcam this week has looked mainly clear so people considering Maya Chan should probably book to secure their place and decide on the day. I feel very sorry for businesses affected by this natural phenomena. Many are working very hard against something they can’t control. However i also understand how disappointing it is for visitors who only get to the beach occasionally especially if they have children.

Forecasts I read recently predicted this would be another bad year for the sargassum problem so I guess time will tell.

Edited by c-leg5

• 2 months later...

Just an UPDATE:

Steve Uhl of Tropicante sent out a blog yesterday, May 15, that reported the Sargasso isn't as bad as last year, but still bad.  Same conditions exist.  The malecon folks attempt to keep it as clear as they can and do get some help from the Mexican Government, but not enough (just too poor).  The reef breaker helps stop much of it but moves the Sargasso north and south where there breaker stops.  Nets are helping too.  However, the good news is they are able to clean it up every day and get it hauled away before the larger crowds it the beach.  So you can expect cleaner water and cleaner beach at the malecon, in front of the reef breaker.  As Maya Chan and Almaplena are to the south of town,  They may have issues, but manageable as these are in smaller amounts.  To the north toward Uvero, there may be issues.  These remote sites don't get the same service and storms and tides move the Sargasso up onto the beach where it dries and causes issues.

Hi, I'll answer my own question since we went.  We went the week of March 9.  The week prior was BAD but our week was CLEAR.  So it just goes to show things can change RAPIDLY.  I would plan a backup just in case (like hop a taxi to mayan ruins) if bad on the day you arrive but I wouldn't freak out until a day before or when you get there.  The day we went it was sooo beautiful and clear. ❤️  Like a previous poster said, go as far down from the ship a possible there is less.  We went to Jaimes.