CwazeAndCwaze

DVD's On SYMPHONY

I understand that Serenity no longer has DVD players.  Is it the same for Symphony?

Oh... P AND S …. 210 days till ALASKA!!!!!!!!

😀😀😀,

Scott

6 hours ago, CwazeAndCwaze said:

I understand that Serenity no longer has DVD players.  Is it the same for Symphony?

Oh... P AND S …. 210 days till ALASKA!!!!!!!!

😀😀😀,

Scott

You'll have to bring a portable one to watch Lucy!

Patty

I was thinking of you guys and wondering how you would cope without the DVD in the cabins when the ships went through their respective dry docks. I think there was a thread some time ago about people trying to stream shows to their TV via laptops and from memory I think the input plugs on the TV's were a little hard to access. Others who have tried this might be able to chime in.

Just now, ClefsDor said:

I was thinking of you guys and wondering how you would cope without the DVD in the cabins when the ships went through their respective dry docks. I think there was a thread some time ago about people trying to stream shows to their TV via laptops and from memory I think the input plugs on the TV's were a little hard to access. Others who have tried this might be able to chime in.

TVs are flat screens and in most rooms built in to alcoves in the wall making it impossible to access inputs in the rear without removing the TV.  In the suites with two TVs they are mounted on on articulating mounts so they are visible from the bed and thus the rear panel is accessible.  Having said all that pressing "input" on the remote does nothing on my TV.  

3 hours ago, flyingshoes said:

TVs are flat screens and in most rooms built in to alcoves in the wall making it impossible to access inputs in the rear without removing the TV.  In the suites with two TVs they are mounted on on articulating mounts so they are visible from the bed and thus the rear panel is accessible.  Having said all that pressing "input" on the remote does nothing on my TV.  

Question.

I just went to the connectivity under digital entertainment.

Then after clicking on that I got HDMI.

If you click on that and then connect a device to the set wouldn't you be able to watch something from the device using the remote control from the device.

Not sure but what do you think?

On a related note I was playing around and was able to connect my iPhone to the TV via BlueTooth and could then play music from iTunes on the speaker of the TV.  I hand't tried that before.

Keith

Just now, Keith1010 said:

Question.

I just went to the connectivity under digital entertainment.

Then after clicking on that I got HDMI.

If you click on that and then connect a device to the set wouldn't you be able to watch something from the device using the remote control from the device.

Not sure but what do you think?

On a related note I was playing around and was able to connect my iPhone to the TV via BlueTooth and could then play music from iTunes on the speaker of the TV.  I hand't tried that before.

Keith

That should work, if you can gain physical  access to the hdmi port(s) on the TV.  You would need an hdmi cable.  I can't access my ports, but onscreen display shows HDMI 1 and 2 available as well as AV (input type three plug cable).

Apparently the input selection is done via the Digital Entertainment selection on the TV screen, not through the remote controller button.  Thanks for the head's up.

You can also use casting via Android or Windows if your device is compatible and content is stored on the device (streaming is doubtful over ship internet).

Edited by flyingshoes

Just now, flyingshoes said:

That should work, if you can gain physical  access to the hdmi port(s) on the TV.  You would need an hdmi cable.  I can't access my ports, but onscreen display shows HDMI 1 and 2 available as well as AV (input type three plug cable).

Apparently the input selection is done via the Digital Entertainment selection on the TV screen, not through the remote controller button.  Thanks for the head's up.

You can also use casting via Android or Windows if your device is compatible and content is stored on the device (streaming is doubtful over ship internet).

Perfect.  I was hoping you would say that would work.

This is in one of the original suites on Serenity.

There is not a lot of room to get ones hand behind the TV but I think I could.  You'd want a long enough HDMI cord so the device could sit on the couch cushion.

Keith

This is good to know for our July back-to-back cruise, but it includes a river cruise.  I wonder if the same system is on the Bach as on the Serenity (the two ships we will be on in July).

9 hours ago, mvcountess said:

No DVD’s on Symphony Feb. 13, Punta Arenas

I take it you're on the Symphony now. We have booked a 30 day b2b starting in April and had planned to bring a portable dvd player since folks are saying Crystal has removed the ones that used to be in the balcony cabins. But since folks are saying there isn't any access to the hdmi ports on the new tvs, then that's a nonstarter as well. So, if I might ask, do they now offer a good variety of tv shows and quality movies on their new interactive TVs?

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Just now, Ken the cruiser said:

I take it you're on the Symphony now. We have booked a 30 day b2b starting in April and had planned to bring a portable dvd player since folks are saying Crystal has removed the ones that used to be in the balcony cabins. But since folks are saying there isn't any access to the hdmi ports to the new tvs, then that's a nonstarter as well. So, if I might ask, do they now offer a good variety of tv shows and quality movies on their new interactive TVs?

They offer around 40 on demand movies and they change periodically.  Some are recent and some are old.  

You can can also watch lectures on demand. 

Keith

3 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

They offer around 40 on demand movies and they change periodically.  Some are recent and some are old.  

You can can also watch lectures on demand. 

Keith

Thanks Keith! That's just what we were hoping to hear.

I just counted the movies on demand on Serenity and we have 132 of them.  I think that number is great than what I saw on Symphony and when we first boarded Serenity for the Holiday cruise since this is the World Cruise and some people will be on for a much longer time.  

Keith