Question about food allergies

Korlad

I've been asked by NCL booking agents if anyone traveling has allergies. Until now it was a no but now was diagnosed with a dairy allergy and things are definitely better if I stay away from it.  What does NCL do with the information? Do the waiters have the info since they swiped your card upon entry? Do they have things like Lactaid milk and/or ice cream? This allergy thing is new to me. I just planned to stay away from certain foods but thought I'd see others experience with this.

FYI Lactaid is used for people that have a lactose intolerance.  Lactose intolerance is a digestion problem and not a food allergy.

In our experience with a dairy allergy we would meet with a person that coordinated special meals and would place the orders for the next day and let them know where and what time we planned to eat and they would have the meal ready. They were really good with special requests but the planning of meal times and places wasn't always the most convenient.

NCL is good with food allergies -- well, at least with my kids' nut allergies.

We filled out a form beforehand and when we went to each, all the servers asked about which of the group had the allergies. This is before we had a chance to tell them...

As mentioned, NCL has a special diet consultant on their ships, who will meet with you at lunch or dinner, to plan your next day's meals.  If you are in a suite, ask the pre-cruise concierge to let them know you require this service.  If you're a returning Latitudes member, call Latitudes with the same request.  First time cruising on NCL?  Ask your TA to let the ship know.  Then, as soon as you board, get in touch with the diet consultant (ask guest services for their extension), to set up your first meeting.    

You don't have to have a food allergy.  You may need to avoid certain foods for your well being.  My husband has to avoid salt for health reasons.  The special diet staff members on all our cruises were great about seeing him every day and arranging his meals.  They consult with the various restaurant chefs, to ensure your needs are met.  Can't say enough good things about them.

We do give them a tip at the end of the cruise.  It's not asked for, but they appreciate it.  They work hard.

Patricia