Viking Star - Current Mechanical Issues

caviargal

Also, when leaving the bathroom, protect your hands with a dry paper towel or tissue (carry your own) when grasping the door handle, as the previous person leaving has probably not sung "Happy Birthday" at all.  There are many other ways to pass on viruses, bacteria and fungi, such as putting belongings (hats, especially hats, books, bags, clothing, etc) on tables at mealtimes, handling food, cutlery and plates in the World Cafe then returning them to the servery, not washing thoroughly on return from shoreside, or tours, using machines in the gym without wiping down when finished, and so on . . . and on . . . . . .and on.  Norovirus cost my wife a tour to Jerusalem, the main reason for going on the cruise in the first place, so I feel strongly about hygiene issues on board.  Possibly, a pointed mention by the captain during the safety induction on day one, and some reminders at noon and in the theatre (port talks, shows) would help (although there are those who rudely try to over-talk the Captain during his broadcasts!) with perhaps some time in the paint locker for non-conformers.  Yes?  Who just may be those who brought the bugs on board in the first place.  Somebody did.

Wash, wash and keep washing.  Please.  For the rest of us.  Then use your anti-everything gel.

By the way, how has a thread about Viking Star's mechanical issues been hijacked into Security Officers, norovirus and passengers' personal hygiene.  I have noticed this "ignoring of the thread title" happening with increasing frequency lately, with most hijacks heading towards Alaskan excursions!!!!  Surely some of these hijackers should start a thread of their own?  And some definitely not.  Should I have set an example with this in a new thread?

• Like 1

Haha, it’s called thread drift. Similar to the old party game where you whisper a line into someone’s ear then they pass it along to the next person then the next and when it goes around the circle back to you the phrase can be entirely different.

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

the towels are cloth, rolled, replaced often.  A basket for the used towels.  I seem to remember the faucets start when you place your hands under them.  Extremely convenient to use. 

I'm going to be a basket case keeping up with all these rules,

/kidding

Rawmac, you're complaining about thread drift, but you're part of it.  😞

Edited by zitsky

2 hours ago, Rawmac said:

Also, when leaving the bathroom, protect your hands with a dry paper towel or tissue (carry your own) when grasping the door handle, as the previous person leaving has probably not sung "Happy Birthday" at all.  There are many other ways to pass on viruses, bacteria and fungi, such as putting belongings (hats, especially hats, books, bags, clothing, etc) on tables at mealtimes, handling food, cutlery and plates in the World Cafe then returning them to the servery, not washing thoroughly on return from shoreside, or tours, using machines in the gym without wiping down when finished, and so on . . . and on . . . . . .and on.  Norovirus cost my wife a tour to Jerusalem, the main reason for going on the cruise in the first place, so I feel strongly about hygiene issues on board.  Possibly, a pointed mention by the captain during the safety induction on day one, and some reminders at noon and in the theatre (port talks, shows) would help (although there are those who rudely try to over-talk the Captain during his broadcasts!) with perhaps some time in the paint locker for non-conformers.  Yes?  Who just may be those who brought the bugs on board in the first place.  Somebody did.

Wash, wash and keep washing.  Please.  For the rest of us.  Then use your anti-everything gel.

By the way, how has a thread about Viking Star's mechanical issues been hijacked into Security Officers, norovirus and passengers' personal hygiene.  I have noticed this "ignoring of the thread title" happening with increasing frequency lately, with most hijacks heading towards Alaskan excursions!!!!  Surely some of these hijackers should start a thread of their own?  And some definitely not.  Should I have set an example with this in a new thread?

Totally agree.  We all do it.  What do we do with the others?   As for the drift, Viking Star's Mechanical issues coincided with norovirus onboard.  (Conspiracy theory?)  Now onto Alaska Excursions ...

32 minutes ago, Borderlander123 said:

Totally agree.  We all do it.  What do we do with the others?   As for the drift, Viking Star's Mechanical issues coincided with norovirus onboard.  (Conspiracy theory?)  Now onto Alaska Excursions ...

Didn't the CDC reported some outbreak "incidents" between Dec 2018 and Feb 2019 and that included twice on the Viking Star (1st time causative agent was rotavirus and 2nd time causative agent was unknown) and once on Viking Sea (causative agent: norovirus)? See

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm#2019

Guess everyone has to be more careful and hope Viking will be more stringeant with passengers washing and cleaning/drying hands, and constantly reminding them to do so, etc.,  even if it annoys some people who are not so understanding nor patient.

On one cruise line (I think it was Azamara), the officers including the Captain, did not even shake hands when they met with the passengers to reduce passing on anything unwelcome. 

Sorry to deviate from the original thread of mechanical issues but thought discussion about health and wellbeing on ships are just as important. Yes, perhaps we should start a new thread on this!

Edited by Gnoelj

Does anyone have an update from Viking Star concerning Noro on the cruise that ended on Thursday or the current cruise? Have there been additional cases after the initial problem two weeks ago? Would greatly appreciate hearing how things are on board currently. Thanks for any reports from those on board.

Another contributor is what people eat in ports. On our Noro cruise there was a market in one of the ports with open containers of cheese. It was a hot day. And people from everywhere were digging their fingers in to grab a cube of cheese. Why would you do this?

I have been on four VO cruises and someone was there to "invite" you to use the sanitizer at every meal ... possible exception, Mamsens ... but the sanitizer was close by.  Frankly, I don't think it would be wise for Viking to get too aggressive about the hand sanitizer.  It is reasonably effective but it can also be harsh and some individuals have allergies and/sensitivities that might negate their use.  They can also turn acryllic nails black in some cases! 

I am a hand washing fanatic and will use sanitizers when they are available and often in addition to hand washing.  No one but me is responsible for my health and I am the only one who can protect myself from noro, roto, or any other virus that might invade the ship.  We have done 12 cruises; river and ocean and (knock wood and pass the Purell!) never had a problem ... even when many of my fellow passengers were MIA due to one form of virus or another I have managed to stay healthy ... so it must be working!

2 hours ago, molymoo said:

I have been on four VO cruises and someone was there to "invite" you to use the sanitizer at every meal ... possible exception, Mamsens ... but the sanitizer was close by.  Frankly, I don't think it would be wise for Viking to get too aggressive about the hand sanitizer.  It is reasonably effective but it can also be harsh and some individuals have allergies and/sensitivities that might negate their use.  They can also turn acryllic nails black in some cases! 

I am a hand washing fanatic and will use sanitizers when they are available and often in addition to hand washing.  No one but me is responsible for my health and I am the only one who can protect myself from noro, roto, or any other virus that might invade the ship.  We have done 12 cruises; river and ocean and (knock wood and pass the Purell!) never had a problem ... even when many of my fellow passengers were MIA due to one form of virus or another I have managed to stay healthy ... so it must be working!

Any other tips?  Do you go to the buffet?  Wear a mask etc?

On 2/23/2019 at 12:35 PM, Jim Avery said:

the towels are cloth, rolled, replaced often.  A basket for the used towels.  I seem to remember the faucets start when you place your hands under them.  Extremely convenient to use. 

The BrightLine train in Florida has an even more modern version of a sink.

The faucet starts automatically when you put your hands in the optic zone.  When you slide them out a few inches, a Dyson blower blows your hands dry. One big, cross shaped unit

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2019 at 5:09 PM, caviargal said:

A little noro goes a long way  but it appears that it is currently under control. 

It was enough to  close gym, hot tubs, common spa areas and quarantine some passengers, as well as control service in whatever the buffet restaurant is called.  

From live reports now, normalcy has been restored. 

Caviargal, can you give us an update for the Cuba cruise that you did? Did Viking provide your visa or did you get your own? 

1 hour ago, H2Otstr said:

Caviargal, can you give us an update for the Cuba cruise that you did? Did Viking provide your visa or did you get your own? 

The visa is obtained through Viking and included in the fare.

Due to a family crisis, we did not take the cruise and cancelled the day prior.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, caviargal said:

The visa is obtained through Viking and included in the fare.

Due to a family crisis, we did not take the cruise and cancelled the day prior.

I hope that was covered under the insurance you did have.