Vancouver Hotel for 5 People

JBCall

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions for a good hotel in Vancouver that would accommodate 5 people in one room.  We have three tweens/teens so we were hoping not to have to get  2 separate rooms for our 1-2 night stay in Vancouver pre-cruise. 

Our family stayed at the Pan Pacific about 6 years ago, but for some reason they will no longer accommodate 5 to a room.  Plus, their prices seem to have doubled (at least) in that time.

Thanks,

J.

You have the perfect number for the Quint rooms at the YWCA Hotel; a bit of a come-down from the opulence of your prior stay at the PP though it does have great reviews, clean & safe, great location downtown (i.e. it certainly fits the definition of 'good' but very much not that of 'fancy'). If you need fancy, try the various Fairmonts (though the Pacific Rim makes the PP look cheap in general, it's much newer and fancier, the older Hotel Vancouver and Waterfront might fall into affordable and I believe they both have large suites). The PP does actually still have 5pax rooms, provided that it's only 2 Adults max - those share the King in the Harbour View King rooms, 2 kids on the sofabed and another on a cot I believe (perhaps on your date that category is sold out).

In-between the two extremes I'd suggest the Rosedale on Robson - a condo hotel, so you can get 2 actual bedrooms, sofabeds etc. in the largest units plus your own kitchen which might be useful. Times Square Suites also offers large suites, a little less-well-located overall than Rosedale but it is closer to Stanley Park so depending exactly what you intend to do while in town it might actually be a little more convenient. You've also got plenty of out-of-the-city options - the suburban hotels with free parking also tend to be inclined to have two-doubles-and-a-sofabed options, like Accent Inns.

Basically if you plug in your needs on Expedia (which allows selection by number of adults and also kids by their exact age) you'll pop a list of ALL the hotels which have the right number of bed spaces for you - a random date I plugged in shows 72(!) hotels in Vancouver that have at least one room for 2 adults and 3 12-17yo kids, so I can't imagine every single one of them is already sold out on your dates... pick the ones that are available on your date and also within your budget and if you need local feedback on location pros/cons come back and ask away.

Thanks so much Lagoustine and Martincath.

Unfortunately the YWCA and the Rosedale are full on our travel dates July 5-7.

The Sylvia looks really good - it wasn't showing up when I was doing my initial search.  We were also wondering about your thoughts on the Best Western Plus Granville, the Landis Hotel,  and the Holiday Inn & Suites Downtown?

Normally when we travel we use BW or equivalent.  So PP was a nice upgrade last time we were in town. 

J.

4 hours ago, JBCall said:

Thanks so much Lagoustine and Martincath.

Unfortunately the YWCA and the Rosedale are full on our travel dates July 5-7.

The Sylvia looks really good - it wasn't showing up when I was doing my initial search.  We were also wondering about your thoughts on the Best Western Plus Granville, the Landis Hotel,  and the Holiday Inn & Suites Downtown?

Normally when we travel we use BW or equivalent.  So PP was a nice upgrade last time we were in town. 

J.

Personally I'd avoid the BW+ on Granville, just because of the loudness of the immediate environment late at night (it's the heart of the club district, late licenses run until after SkyTrain shuts and there aren't enough cabs for the bridge & tunnel crew to get back to the burbs quickly - so drunken buffoons tend to congregate on Granville with kebabs and poutine waiting for 'vomet comet' night bus services. Since it's the holiday weekend for the US it will be even busier than normal in the club zone, and with more non-Canadians who are of course much less polite and also louder when while drunk;-)

Landis and HI are both on more civilized streets and should do you fine.

The Sylvia is the only hotel right on English Bay and a lot of folks love the old girl, but I believe this year they're replacing the entire building's main pipework - and rather than shut down for a while to get'er done, they're staying open throughout and dragging the process out much longer. I would HOPE that they won't rent rooms on any of the stacks that are being worked at the scheduled time of course, but given how many unexpected issues crop up with plumbing there's no way I'd be staying in a hotel undergoing extensive pipework!!! Since you have to call them to book their 'bonus suite' for 5 anyway, I'd check on ETA for plumbing to end - if it's at least a month before your trip, no worries, you should have great water pressure, but if it might impinge on your dates I'd stay elsewhere.

Well we are booked into the Sylvia.  After talking to the reservations staff, they are saying the pipe work should be done in the next couple of months so it shouldn't impact us in the summer.

Thanks,

J.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ajpmom said:

Trying to decide between the Listel and the Atrium Inn. Any suggestions? There will be 4 of us, two will be seniors. 

Listel!!!! Run fast, run far, and don't stop until the very thought of the Atrium seems merely a fever-dream left over from a bad medication combination😖

If my poetic warning isn't enough, some more factual info: it's about as far away as you can get from downtown and still be in the city; while the renovation sounds like it has improved what was a pretty dire old hotel, and Hastings-Sunrise has been steadily gentrifying with more shops & restos, all the popular tourist stuff is downtown; your only viable transit is a bus along Hastings - which has a 30km/h limit for big chunks due to the local homeless population being hit by cars too often (cabs would run you $20+ to get downtown and back, and unless you are both very fit and very used to gritty streetlife you really do not want to walk...) There's one remotely-sane reason to choose this hotel as a tourist - it's SUPER convenient for the PNE (our huge annual fair with ridiculous fried things, rollercoaster and other midway rides etc.) but that only operates the last couple of weeks of August to the first weekend in September.

Playland (the midway) does open most of the summer and they do have a very famous old wooden roller coaster, but even if you're mad keen on that sort of thing a nicer hotel downtown and one cab or bus ride out to do the rides makes a lot more sense! In short, I'm absolutely astonished they have the cheek to be remotely in the same price range as the Listel such that you'd be considering them both...

Edited by martincath