Booked Cruise - "IF" Cancelled by Princess -

voljeep

has this ever happened to you ? If so, how was it handled - how far out, and any compensation and/or

discount on a feature cruise ?

I'm thinking about our 4 day cruise on the CB in May ... immediately after the major (month long) dry dock

to fix the propulsion problem - cut hole into ship to get to it...

Princess prolly wouldn't know until they got into it, which would be after final payment, and inside a 30 day

window until the cruise

handle like a "move-over" offer ? - can't see that happening for a whole cruise ship of people

just wondering ...

Had a cruise booked in spring of 2020, princess canceled it in June of 2018, and gave me $15 obc for my trouble.  They recommended alternative voyages and encouraged me to call and rebook.

As luck would have it, they re-opened my original voyage and said it was back on 2 months later due to "popular demand".  They gave me my old room back and let me keep the $15 obc.  

• Like 1

We were booked on the Golden for an Australia cruise a couple of years ago that was cancelled.  We had used air miles to book our flights, Princess reimbursed us the cruise fare and costs to replace our miles back into our airline program.  

I’m also booked on the May 14, 2019  CB cruise and the following 7 day cruise leaving on the 18th.  I know one or both could be cancelled.  The 4 day cruise leaving on the 14th appears to be only about 20% booked so it would be relatively easy for Princess to cancel that cruise.  No way to know until probably some time in late April.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

has this ever happened to you ? If so, how was it handled - how far out, and any compensation and/or

discount on a feature cruise ?

I'm thinking about our 4 day cruise on the CB in May ... immediately after the major (month long) dry dock

to fix the propulsion problem - cut hole into ship to get to it...

Princess prolly wouldn't know until they got into it, which would be after final payment, and inside a 30 day

window until the cruise

handle like a "move-over" offer ? - can't see that happening for a whole cruise ship of people

just wondering ...

usually the offer if they have to cancel a cruise is not that good. refund of fare.  depending on how far in advance maybe airline change fees and a small token obc.

I would assume they won't know until they are knee deep into the workif they have to cancel the cruise.  Being that it would be almost last minute one would think they have got to do more than they would for something canceled a year out.

I have a friend who is an interior designer that works with cruise lines (been with 2 of the major ones) and she goes to whatever Port in the world they are working on the ships. The work goes on for 24 hours a day and they don't know if they are going to be delays until they are into the job.  She said sometimes they run into snags or as everyone knows things take longer than anticipated. 

Edited by Host CJSKIDS

A similar thing happened to us on Celebrity.  The ship was having propulsion problems, so they made a last-minute change.  Our 7 day cruise was being cut into 4 days.  I mention this because Princess might offer something similar.  Celebrity offered:

1.  OBC to partially cover hotel costs for the 3 days lost (of course, the hotels were double the OBC offer by that late date and we had a ton of OBC and free drinks already so wouldn't be able to use it but I think it was refundable)

2.  Change to a different 7-night sailing with Celebrity or RCI (this is what we chose and of course, a comparable cabin on RCI cost a lot more than it did on our original Celebrity booking)

3.  Paid airline change fees (air still cost us quite a bit more since we had to change to a new destination at the last minute)

4.  $100 OBC for our trouble (big deal :classic_wacko:)

I would guess that Princess would move you to any other available sailing for the same number of days, pay your air change fees and  give you a small OBC.

Several years ago we had our Princess cruise out of San Juan canceled!!

we rebooked on Royal C. (Air fare booked)!

princes tried to put us a ship out Florida, but gave us $350 OBC on next cruise instead.

(reason given for cancelation was some “country” booked whole ship!)

not sure if that was true!