Cruise Critic Community

We've only cruised via NCL and they have a wonderful kids club.  Wondering if you have any information on kids club, especially for an 11 yr old, who is very grown up!!!  

Also any other tips to someone new to Holland??? We've sailed twice on NCL and enjoyed the "freestyle" cruising, anytime dining, etc.  

Thank you in advance!!!

Michelle 

Hi MIchelle

Yes HAL has kids’ clubs.  There is Club HAL as well as a club for older children/teens.  I have a few CC friends who cruise with their children and they have to “drag” them out of Club HAL.  They enjoy it.

If you enjoy freestyle dining, you can have that on HAL by simply doing the “open” or any time dining (not fixed time - just go to the MDR/Lido when it suits you.

10 hours ago, Msmojo66 said:

We've only cruised via NCL and they have a wonderful kids club.  Wondering if you have any information on kids club, especially for an 11 yr old, who is very grown up!!!  

Also any other tips to someone new to Holland??? We've sailed twice on NCL and enjoyed the "freestyle" cruising, anytime dining, etc.  

Thank you in advance!!!

Michelle 

Welcome to the HAL Forum.  Here is a link to typical kids activities on both Alaska and Caribbean cruises:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/holland-america-lines-kids-activities-examples

I strongly recommend using the laundry service (usually next day return) for $7/day/stateroom, if purchased for the whole cruise, so you can pack for just three days to save airline luggage fees.  After more than 200 laundry days, I have yet to have a single item damaged/lost. 

If you are booking any excursions involving flying, book ASAP as seats are very limited.

Enjoy your cruise planning.

I'll second the laundry service. Gosh I wish I could get laundry for $7/day at home too 😄

The kids club is good.  Some depends on your ship though, if there are a lot of kids, etc. We did a 22 day South America/Antarctica cruise with our kids a couple years ago and the kids club was fantastic. Most of the kids on board seemed the same age range as mine 8-11 at the time. The kids club that activities related to our cruise so took the kids down for some of the talks, the kids went outside as well to see the wild life, etc . as well as more traditional kids club activities.  The kids usually met up when kids club was closed at the pool Lido to swim and play ping pong and chess. 

Our kids used the clubs last Easter, they have done 7 Disney cruises. They were bored with the clubs on HAL there were lists of planned activities but it was never followed. There were 80 kids in the age group they were in, so it wasn’t lack of kids. The leaders just didn’t really engage them it was more a place to hang out with the leaders just there or the leaders just sent them to the basketball court. They did have fun once they made a few friends and started doing stuff on their own. 

2 hours ago, TN Fem said:

Some depends on your ship though, if there are a lot of kids, etc

Exactly.  On our Panama Canal cruise a few years ago, there were 5 kids onboard under the age of 12.  Totally.  Including 3 kids that belonged to a crew member.

It was over Halloween, and the kid's club leaders brought them all over the ship for trick or treating.  Everyone onboard knew who they were.

My son, who just turned 12, enjoyed the club on HAL's Konningsdam and actually preferred the clubs when he was younger on HAL much more than on Disney primarily because they were less children. He would often ask to go to the club in lieu of other activities. He did complain, though, that they "curriculum" as he called it was too structured, so perhaps they are following the schedule now. He really liked the free-time options.