New Civitavecchia-Rome Express Train April 1 2019

euro cruiser

First, Italiarail is a middleman, it's not the train company (one of your first clues should be a .com, an Italian company will end with .it; second, scroll down to the bottom of the home page and you'll see that it's a company called International Rail LLC, Italian companies are not LLCs; or perhaps easiest you could just go to the "about" section of their web site to discover who they are).  To purchase direct you need to buy from Trenitalia or Italotreno, the only two national train companies in Italy.

I just took a quick look at the Italiarail site and they are not showing the Civitavecchia Express train, it's possible that Trenitalia is not allowing resales on this train.

If you go directly to Trenitalia.com you can purchase the Civitavecchia Express tickets and the bus from the port.  To do this you must specify Civitavecchia Porto as your station.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

How far out are we able to book the tickets?  We'll want to get the Civitavecchia Express with the bus from port to train station.

There is a system-wide schedule update in June so right now you can only buy Civitavecchia Express tickets through the second week of June.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, judla said:

We bought tickets from Rome to the port on the express train and then from the train station at the port to Florence.  ItaliaRail's web site is very easy to navigate.

I suspect you purchased regular Frecce express tickets, not the Civitavecchia Express.

Sites like ItaliaRail exist because they make it easier to purchase in English.  Trenitalia does have an English language page but it's not comprehensive and can be confusing, so resellers like ItaliaRail step in and fill the gap, for a fee (higher train ticket prices and/or service fees).

13 minutes ago, Floridafrank said:

I’m on the trenitalia site and I picked Civitavecchia Porto as the departure. Which Rome station do I pick as arrival? TIA

It depends on where you want to start your day in Rome.  If you're headed to the Vatican area you'd choose S. Pietro, for other parts of Rome Ostiense may be more convenient.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information.  It is very expensive to take private car to airport especially with luggage.  We arrive in the port of Civitavecchia on 15/7/19 after cruising with Oceania Sirena with a late flight out of Rome.

4 hours ago, Yacht88 said:

Thanks for the information.  It is very expensive to take private car to airport especially with luggage.  We arrive in the port of Civitavecchia on 15/7/19 after cruising with Oceania Sirena with a late flight out of Rome.

Please note that the Civitavecchia Express train only stops at S. Pietro and Ostiense stations in Rome, neither of which have left luggage offices.  If you are planning to spend some time in the city before heading out to the airport, you'll need to figure out a plan for dealing with your luggage.

Carnival just posted their Rome by private train at 79.00 US. For first time visitor to Rome, is there any merit in going this route? Is the express train that much more difficult than using the cruise line? A few commented the train was late getting to Rome is that usually an issue? 

I can't imagine spending that much extra for a train ride.  All trains, public and private, use the same tracks so if something is causing one to be late, everything else stacks up behind them.  I find it hard to believe that in a congestion situation a once-in-a-while private train is going to get priority over the regular state railroad runs.

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2019 at 4:21 AM, Luv2cruz1000 said:

Carnival just posted their Rome by private train at 79.00 US. For first time visitor to Rome, is there any merit in going this route? Is the express train that much more difficult than using the cruise line? A few commented the train was late getting to Rome is that usually an issue? 

Two points: 1). Part of your $79 would no doubt go to pay for a specific shuttle that takes you directly to the station.  You would not have to take the shuttle from the ship and then get from the shuttle stop to the train station.    You would not have to start working out what time you need to be leaving the ship.  You would not have to think about how long it takes.   You are paying for someone else to make those decisions.  

Saying that, I think that it is an awful lot of money.  My whole day in Rome would come to half that.  I think that as long as you give yourself plenty of time to get off the ship, I think about an hour [would anyone suggest anything different?] you should be fine.  If you are mega early you can always walk to the station from the shuttle drop off, or buy a coffee at the station.  

2) The comment about the train getting late to Rome:  The new train leaves Civi after the commuter rush. If you have a ship that arrives at 6 am and you want to maximise your time in Rome, the express might feel a bit late.  Even if the schedule is adhered to strictly it may well be too late.  I don’t know what time the Carnival private train leaves Civi to make a comparison.  

3 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

The new train leaves Civi after the commuter rush. If you have a ship that arrives at 6 am and you want to maximise your time in Rome, the express might feel a bit late.  Even if the schedule is adhered to strictly it may well be too late.

Yes, the new Civitavecchia Express suffers from the same problem as any solution that tries to serve all cruises rather than a specific one, it leaves late and returns early, to allow for late arriving ships and early departing ones.

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know when the Civitavecchia Express tickets for later in June will go on sale? I have seen an earlier comment to say that an updated timetable for June will be coming out and have searched online for a date but with no success.

Thanks

Currently, we booked "Express train to Rome" on an RCL excursion @ $69 each r/t, includes a shuttle from the ship to the train station, some guide there to help show us the best way to tour Rome, etc. From what I remember, back in 2017, we took an excursion to Rome on a bus from the port, it seemed that it took a while for the bus to leave the port. Reading earlier it's about a 1.5Km walk from the port to the train station, how difficult is it actually getting to the train station from the port? That walk is easy but not sure of the "way" getting there - but we'd be saving a ton of cash doing it on our own, perhaps. Weighing:

- Convenience of just keeping the excursion

- Doing it on our own and saving money

- IF we do it on our own and are late, we miss the boat

- Doing it through the RCL excursion, we're covered

All things to consider, but the train option might be easier if we met a group to walk along with to the train station.

One question: When I select July 8th, it comes up as NaN-NaN-NaN. What does THAT mean? The only thing I can think of....it means "not a number" in computer logic....now I am laughing.

Edited by johnjen

It's an easy walk (1.5k/less than a mile) from the port shuttle drop off point at Largo della Pace to the train station on Viale della Repubblica, in almost a straight line.  You can make a google map and "walk" it in street view to familiarize yourself with the route.

There are two bus options, the local bus and the Trenitalia bus.  If you are reasonably able-bodied you can probably walk to the train station faster than the bus by the time they load up fifty or slow straggling cruisers, then navigate the streets.

1 hour ago, johnjen said:

. Reading earlier it's about a 1.5Km walk from the port to the train station, how difficult is it actually getting to the train station from the port? That walk is easy but not sure of the "way" getting there - but we'd be saving a ton of cash doing it on our own, perhaps. Weighing:

- Convenience of just keeping the excursion

- Doing it on our own and saving money

- IF we do it on our own and are late, we miss the boat

- Doing it through the RCL excursion, we're covered

All things to consider, but the train option might be easier if we met a group to walk along with to the train station..

To be honest, if you catch the shuttle and start to walk, you will find you are walking along with other folk all headed in the same direction as you.  I get lost easily, but would find it hard to get lost following that route.  Google map it and you will see.  You keep the sea to the right of you, if you go wrong you will probably need to swim.  

If you do it on your own, make sure that you get back to the train station in plenty of time.  If you get the express train you have your seat anyway.  We usually buy the local train tickets and aim to get back to Termini just before 4 pm.  That gives us plenty of time to get hot and tired in Rome.

Even if you go with RCL you have to get back to the station in time.   Someone still needs to be the watch monitor!!   

I am sure that you will find it less difficult than you anticipate.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the feedback.  We have walked to the train station and caught the normal fast train into Rome as an in dependant on three occasions and it did work out fine.  Luckily no train delays. No luggage.

We will check with Oceania if they provide a shuttle to the train station or have any information with regards to this new Cruise Train Service.  Maybe this new service is only for day trippers.

We were wanting to use this New Train Service as a means at the end of our Cruise to get to Rome Airport rather than using a private Car.  Cruise docks at 8am our flight is 10pm.

Of course not one is aware how many Cruise Liners are in on the same day.  Will wait to hear back from Oceania and check new time table.

Just returned from western Med cruise on Oasis of the Seas. We did Rome on our own, booked the FrecciaBianca  8601 from Civitavecchia to Rome Termini and back from Termini on FrecciaBianca  8626. Booked thru trenitalia.it  We walked to the station from where the ship to port bus dropped us off, about 45 minutes from walking off ship to the train platform. The train was non stop and also took 45 minutes. Arrived Termini and took subway to Spagna and walked back via Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain to Colosseum for a tour of all levels(underground included) and then Forum.(thru Touriks, awesome!) The return from Termini leaves from track 22, right by main entrance.

Edited by Aircrewsers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2019 at 3:15 PM, euro cruiser said:

Information on the arrival and departure points is in my original post at the beginning of this thread.

To purchase tickets in advance go to https://www.trenitalia.com/.

Enter "Civitavecchia" in the from (da) space.

Enter either "Roma S. Pietro" or "Roma Ostiense" in the to (a) space.

Enter your date in the departure (andata) space.  Remember that dates are in the  day-month-year format.  Enter the time of day.  Hit search (cerca).

The trains are listed in time order, look for the train identified as "Civitavecchia Express".  the fare should be 10 euro, if not you're probably looking at the wrong train.

If it's the one you want, follow the instructions for purchase.

That's a bit rather annoying....you select the date by clicking the date and it shows "nananana."

image.thumb.png.6fe1f4abfe16225e5813a210b0394a7a.png

Edited by johnjen