Cruise Critic Community
euro cruiser

New Civitavecchia-Rome Express Train April 1 2019

18 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Yes, the Civitavecchia Express is a seasonal service.

You shouldn't have a problem making the train, it leaves pretty late.  You may wind up cooling your heels waiting for it, depending on the time of your ship arrival.

Which station to use in Rome depends on what you're going to see.  For the Vatican area, the first stop (San Pietro) is best.  For the Colosseum and Roman Forum area the second stop (Ostiense) is better.

18 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Yes, the Civitavecchia Express is a seasonal service.

You shouldn't have a problem making the train, it leaves pretty late.  You may wind up cooling your heels waiting for it, depending on the time of your ship arrival.

Which station to use in Rome depends on what you're going to see.  For the Vatican area, the first stop (San Pietro) is best.  For the Colosseum and Roman Forum area the second stop (Ostiense) is better.

Thanks  Euro cruiser. That's great.

We've got a port visit to Rome on the 16th July and are looking to travel to Rome. The cheapest and quickest option seems to be the Express Train for 3 adults. So seeing as how there are 6 ships in port this day and the 2 trains will hold less than 1500 people I thought I'd get the tickets booked sooner rather than later.

I've gone on the Trenitalia website and selected the 9.35 express and the 15.53 return from S. Pietro. However it's giving two prices. One fare is described as 30euro Ordinaria and the other one is 22.50 Civitavecchia Express A/r. I'm assuming the Ordinaria one is the standard 10euro single ticket and the other one is the reduced return ticket. Has anyone booked the train online and can confirm this. I don't want to end up at the station with the wrong ticket.

Also for an extra 2euro each we can get a bus to Civitavecchia station. Do these leave from the Largo Della Pace?

Thanks

A/R stands for andata e ritorno, or round trip.  Trenitalia offers a discount if you purchase round trip tickets vs. two one-ways.

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

A/R stands for andata e ritorno, or round trip.  Trenitalia offers a discount if you purchase round trip tickets vs. two one-ways.

Thanks for the confirmation.

On 2/5/2020 at 3:34 AM, Albert_Park said:

We've got a port visit to Rome on the 16th July and are looking to travel to Rome. The cheapest and quickest option seems to be the Express Train for 3 adults. So seeing as how there are 6 ships in port this day and the 2 trains will hold less than 1500 people I thought I'd get the tickets booked sooner rather than later.

I've gone on the Trenitalia website and selected the 9.35 express and the 15.53 return from S. Pietro. However it's giving two prices. One fare is described as 30euro Ordinaria and the other one is 22.50 Civitavecchia Express A/r. I'm assuming the Ordinaria one is the standard 10euro single ticket and the other one is the reduced return ticket. Has anyone booked the train online and can confirm this. I don't want to end up at the station with the wrong ticket.

Also for an extra 2euro each we can get a bus to Civitavecchia station. Do these leave from the Largo Della Pace?

Thanks

How do you know how many ships will be in port on a particular day?

I was wondering about the seats selling out also, and how long does it take to get to the train station from which ever dock you are coming from.  We are on the Costa Smeralda, arriving in Civitavecchia on 5.29.20. I can buy train tickets now, but was hoping for more than 5 hours in Rome. We dock at 8:00 AM. If we play it safe and get the later train tickets 10:30 AM, and the last train leaves Rome at 4:30 PM, it's not much time to see everything we want to see. But I am nervous to get the earlier train that leaves at 9:35 AM in fear of missing the train.

Does anyone know realistically how long it takes to get to the station from a packed ship full of people?

Thanks!

I would hate to buy tickets for the early train, and miss it because we couldn't get off the ship in time to make it to the train station.

6 hours ago, floridagirl21 said:

How do you know how many ships will be in port on a particular day?

A website I use

Can tell you where ships are going to be and what are where. Looking at Civitavecchia on May 29 it looks like there are only 2 ships in. Yours and a Seaboard one. I believe Seaboard are luxury ones and only carry about 100-200 people and probably aren't the clientele which would use a train. So you may be in luck, though I don't know how mant passengers are on your ship.

Timing wise, this is my first cruise (done a lot of research 😁) so couldn't say if the 9.35am would leave you enough time to get off ship and to the station. Looking at the itinery on my ship,generally you can be off the ship about 30-60 minutes after docking.

21 minutes ago, Albert_Park said:

A website I use

Can tell you where ships are going to be and what are where. Looking at Civitavecchia on May 29 it looks like there are only 2 ships in.

I've just looked at Civitavecchia again and we are due in on the 16th July but our ship isn't showing whereas it was the other week. However it is showing us in the other Italian ports the day before and day after. So looks like it may not be 100% accurate for Civitavecchia.

Unfortunately the cruise calendar for Civitavecchia is only updated through May 2020 so far but you can keep checking it:  https://www.civitavecchiaport.org/cruise-calendar/

If you dock at 8 AM I cannot imagine how you would not be able to make the 9:35 train.  It's only one mile from the port to the train station so even if it takes a while to get off your ship and get on the bus, it doesn't make sense that it would take more than 90 minutes.

Given the limited number of tickets for the express train, if it's important to you to use this specific train I would buy the tickets in advance.  For a longer port day you can simply use the regional trains and buy the BIRG ticket in Civitavecchia.