Cruise Critic Community
maryred

Carnival Mardi Gras Sept 24 2020, 6 Day New York, NY to Canada/New England 9/24/20

Faster to the fun won’t be available for our sailing?

I called earlier and they said it’s just not up yet, but will be at 89.95 per cabin?

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:23 AM, DD474 said:

FYI about FTTF on FAQ website

Faster to the Fun is not offered on Carnival Journeys departures, cruises in Europe, nor on cruises from the following home ports: Honolulu, Norfolk and Vancouver. It will be offered on the Carnival Panorama, starting with departures in February 2020, Carnival Radiance, starting with departures in January 2021 and Mardi Gras, starting in 2021(Date to be determined)

Ahhh ok. That would make sense, I didn't think they would sell out this far in advance

12 hours ago, lennysails said:

Faster to the fun won’t be available for our sailing?

I called earlier and they said it’s just not up yet, but will be at 89.95 per cabin?

In general Carnival does not offer FttF on ships for the first 6-12 months they are in service in the USA or when they do 1 off special sailings. Unfortunately this sailing hits both those marks.

If this is anything like the USA inaugural cruise of the Vista there will be over 1000 Platinum and Diamond passengers plus another 100-200 special invite VIP guests all with priority privileges. In fact on that cruise they had to hold 4 separate Loyalty parties,  and the priority line at Guest Services was often longer than the general line, even when they had 3 pursers handling the priority line.

2 hours ago, lennysails said:

Maybe I didn’t think this through!!!

Think what through? .

Either the NYC terminal will be able to handle embarkation efficiently or not. For the Vista trip we arrived at 11:30am and most of the crazy traffic was already dissipating, just as we finished our check-in they started calling zone 1 boarding (about noon). As long as passengers abide by their arrival appointment time the terminal should not be too backed up for general boarding. Also if I'm following the sailing schedule correctly there is an empty day between the disembarkation of the Transatlantic cruise and our boarding day. Perhaps Carnival will do their Salute the Troops celebration and courtesy overnight military family berthing like they did when the Vista first came into port. 

The ship's capacity will be the same regardless if there are many more VIPs and priority passengers than a normal sailing. It's not like they get any extra "head of the line perks" once on board, except for the dedicated Guest Services line and final debarkation priority, as there are no tender ports on this itinerary. Also the new deck layout will hopefully offset the congestion many experienced on the Vista and Horizon in some walkways and at certain venues.

As for disembarkation back at NYC, we decided to wait till last call lingering over 1 last MDR breakfast, and were still off the ship by 9:30am and through customs (using the porter line) to the curbside by 10:15am for our pick-up.

lennysails, Franklin Square, NY?

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:09 AM, maryred said:

In general Carnival does not offer FttF on ships for the first 6-12 months they are in service in the USA or when they do 1 off special sailings. Unfortunately this sailing hits both those marks.

If this is anything like the USA inaugural cruise of the Vista there will be over 1000 Platinum and Diamond passengers plus another 100-200 special invite VIP guests all with priority privileges. In fact on that cruise they had to hold 4 separate Loyalty parties,  and the priority line at Guest Services was often longer than the general line, even when they had 3 pursers handling the priority line.

Oh yeah that makes sense. I didn't even think about the amount of platinum and diamond I was on the Vista cruise out of NYC...easily my least favorite cruise. I think the length got to me (it was 12 days)...I don't know if it was the amount of New Yorkers or the Platinum/Diamond cruisers but by day 10 I was ready to throw people overboard :P

Hi everyone. We are Harry and  Mary, we are here in northern Illinois. We are booked on the repo cruise also.. Just booked this cruise today. Looking forward to a active roll call.

Welcome aboard!!

monsterl 

and

skrufy  

On 5/14/2019 at 10:56 PM, matymil said:

Oh yeah that makes sense. I didn't even think about the amount of platinum and diamond I was on the Vista cruise out of NYC...easily my least favorite cruise. I think the length got to me (it was 12 days)...I don't know if it was the amount of New Yorkers or the Platinum/Diamond cruisers but by day 10 I was ready to throw people overboard 😛

We sailed the Miracle to Alaska two September’s ago.14 day journeys cruise on the Miracle. There were about 1,000 diamond and platinums on board. Embarkation was no problem but debarkation was a nightmare. We are platinum and did not get off the ship until almost 11am.. Got to LAX an hour before our departure time. This past August we were on the Splendor to Alaska for another Journeys 14 day cruise. They did much better we were off by 9am. 

I know it's more than a year out from the cruise but I just wanted to get an "info sheet" with links and resources going...

Feel free to copy and paste this in future postings with additional info/links that you may come across. Also feel free to propose a group activity like a pub or cabin crawl you're willing to organize or host.

Pre-cruise/Post-cruise:

Port information: www.NYcruise.com

New York Manhattan Cruise Terminal Pier 88/90/92 

711 12th Avenue at 55th Street

New York City, New York 10019 

Parking at the port: On-site Parking is open, and porters for checked luggage are available by 9:00am. Check out no later than 1:00pm or you will be charged an additional day. They do not accept reservations. Space is subject to availability and is provided to passengers parking on a first come, first serve basis. Returning ships arrive between 7:00am–8:00am, and passengers who have parked at the terminal are often finished with customs and off the lot by 10:00am–10:30am, freeing up parking spaces. (Remember the Mardi Gras may not be the only ship at the port that day, and the pier uses the 1 rooftop parking area as the primary for all piers there.) There is an 8’3″ height restriction for all personal vehicles. There is no upcharge for sport utility vehicles.

Parking Rates: Same Day rate (10 hours or less) $35.00

Cruise length parking: $40.00/per night to a max of $400/vehicle

Taxes are included in the rates.  Payment accepted by cash and Visa and MasterCard Credit Cards, and is due upon arrival. If you have any further questions, please call 212-641-4440, Monday through Friday, 8:30am–5:30pm.

Parking Offsite: links to be posted later

Hotel suggestions: links to be posted later

NYC area attractions: links to be posted later

9/24/20 DAY 1: NEW YORK - DEPART 4:00 PM

Final arrival appointments should be 2:30pm and final all aboard 3:00pm EDT (as of current itinerary)

9/25/20 DAY 2: FUN DAY AT SEA

Proposed (by maryred):: 2-3pm informal Meet-n-Greet in one of the bars/lounges, as there is no official Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle held on cruises less than 7 days. Just drop by, stay for a drink or 2 if you want, say hello and put faces to screen names. Especially helpful if you plan on sharing a privately arranged tour or transportation when in the ports of call, that way you can meet the others joining you, face to face prior to that tour.  

1st Elegant Night, usually the Captain and senior officers will hold 2 45 minute reception lines for selfies and photos at 5pm and 7pm in the Atrium or Promenade. BUT with this being an US inaugural cruise things could be different.

9/26/20 DAY 3: PORTLAND - ARRIVE 7:00 AM - DEPART 5:00 PM

Docked and in same time zone as our departure port.

This port is easy to walk around in, it’s a small city with a little town feel.

Some resources to find the tour or venue most suited to your family/group:

https://www.visitportland.com/things-to-do

https://www.portlandmaine.com/explore-downtown/

https://visitmaine.com/places-to-go/greater-portland-and-casco-bay

Previous passenger favorites:

https://www.dimillos.com/

http://portlandlobstercompany.com/

https://www.*****/portland/old-port-culinary-walking-tour/

https://www.portlanddiscovery.com/

https://maineducktours.com/

https://portlandexplorer.me/portland-city-lighthouse-tour/

https://portlandfiretours.com/

9/27/20 DAY 4: FUN DAY AT SEA

Proposed (by maryred): 1-2pm Slot Pull. I will post details if there is any interest from other roll call members.

Possible 2nd Elegant Night, as Carnival dislikes having this on the final night on board. But there is the smallest outside chance this may be held on Day 5 while in port.

9/28/20 DAY 5: SAINT JOHN - ARRIVE 8:30 AM - DEPART 8:00 PM

Docked, but Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada observes Atlantic Time, IF the ship does not adjust to local time this port will be 1 hour ahead. Making our local arrival time 9:30am ADT and local departure time 9:00pm ADT, with the local all aboard by 8:30pm ADT. PLEASE pay attention for any time change notices in your printed FunTimes and make sure your watch stays on ship’s time.

From this port it is easy to walk to the mall, farmer’s market, most downtown shopping; several restaurants and pubs/bars, as well as a park or 2. It’s a little harder though to walk to most natural and historic places of interest though (not impossible but some are 3 or more miles away), but cabs are available at the port and public transportation is another option.

Some resources to find the tour or venue most suited to your family/group:

links to be posted later

Previous passenger favorites:

links to be posted later

Though hard to imagine with our later port departure this could possibly be our 2nd Elegant Night, if not held on Day 4 while having a Fun Day at Sea. Carnival dislikes having this on the final night on board.

9/29/20 DAY 6: FUN DAY AT SEA

Proposed (by maryred): 1-2pm Slot Pull. I will post details if there is any interest from other roll call members.

9/30/20 DAY 7: NEW YORK - ARRIVE 7:00 AM

With this being a cruise that is immediately following a Transatlantic and the only closed loop itinerary by this ship from NYC the CBP may take longer to process passengers upon return. Plan for flights no earlier than the time recommended by Carnival for a specific airport and inform car services that they may need to wait on the CBP because of possible processing delays.

Hi everyone, just booked the other day. This will be my wife & I's 5th anniversary, normally I would book a cruise to the warmer weather but at the time of our anniversary, we will have a 13-month-old. So we decided to stay local (we are from MA) and see how our first cruise with an infant will be. Hope we don't keep anyone up, we got one of those long mini-suites. I sure hope this work. see you guys in a year and a couple... We will be with the crying baby (hopefully smiling) 

Thanks for the run down!

i have a Havana Cabana is be willing to show if people are interested!

Myself and my wife Erica (probably) would be down for a slot pull. We are going to have a 1 1/2 year old so we may have to take shifts but I don't think it would be a problem.

Wife and I just booked this today. Just came back from a 14 day to the Panama Canal and always seem to book a cruise after returning from one. Really wanted to do the 15 day repositioning but with flights it was just too much. Really want to experience this ship though so we’ll take this shorter cruise. Been on Canada cruises twice before and out of NYC 4 times now I think. 

All in on on the slot pulls. 

@RRLLAL awesome!! I'm sure as we get closer to our cruise date, I'll be asking some question. I normally cruise south or to the islands never thought of cruising where I live. So glad to hear someone from the Northeast cruising in the Northeast more the once.

I go out of NY always.

going on the dawn and summit this summer just did the Bliss

I love instant vacation!