Message icon

Why not have a PM .You could monitor it to insure that nothing is against TOS.

If I desire to communicate with another person privately I have to list my e-mail address.I realize I can take out a temporary one and then delete it but it is very difficult to do so.

29 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

If I desire to communicate with another person privately I have to list my e-mail address.I realize I can take out a temporary one and then delete it but it is very difficult to do so.

Cruise Critic was originally set up as a place for discussions/questions available for everyone.  They didn't want any "behind the scenes" discussions going on.

Monitoring PM would take resources and is definitely something that could get out of hand. I could see spammers and bullies having a field day.

Setting up an email address is very simple. It is not difficult. Been using one for over ten years on roll calls and public message boards and it would be easy to delete that account. I have actually not needed to delete it in ten years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On February 13, 2019 at 7:54 PM, Shmoo here said:

Cruise Critic was originally set up as a place for discussions/questions available for everyone.  They didn't want any "behind the scenes" discussions going on.

I cannot list an e-mail address of any kind even a temporary one on CC .I cannot explain why but if there was a PM I could do that.

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I cannot list an e-mail address of any kind even a temporary one on CC .I cannot explain why but if there was a PM I could do that.

Why can you not post an email address?  I know it's suggested that you do not, but you can do it.

That's why many of us had throwaway email addresses, so we can use them in situations that could be troublesome.  We can just walk away from them if someone we are not interested in getting emails from starts using them.

1 minute ago, Shmoo here said:

Why can you not post an email address?  I know it's suggested that you do not, but you can do it.

That's why many of us had throwaway email addresses, so we can use them in situations that could be troublesome.  We can just walk away from them if someone we are not interested in getting emails from starts using them.

I cannot do that and if there was a PM feature here I would explain and you or anyone would understand .

I cannot do that and if there was a PM feature here I would explain and you or anyone would understand .

All we can do is suggest the work around. You would have to convince those who run the CC business to enable a PM feature. CC has never had one, it is a decision they made which I personally think has been the correct decision. But it doesn’t matter that you want a PM feature and that I don’t want it. If you want to make your case you should contact those who run CC, the best way would be directly by email.

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I cannot list an e-mail address of any kind even a temporary one on CC ...

Are you allowed to email someone else who provides you with their email address? If you are, then get someone else on the roll call thread to post an email address first (even if that is a throwaway address too). Then you can email them directly without ever posting an email address yourself.

If you are not allowed to even that, then (whatever the reasons, which I neither doubt nor disparage) the reality is that your position is such an edge case that it seems unlikely to sway CC management from the policy position that they have taken for the 15+ years that I have been on CC.

3 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Are you allowed to email someone else who provides you with their email address?

Yes, it’s permissible for folks to post email addresses on CC. This is done frequently on Roll Calls. 

2 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Yes, it’s permissible for folks to post email addresses on CC.

Sorry, what I meant was this: The OP is clearly not allowed to post any kind of email address on a forum. However, others are allowed to post their email addresses (whether permanent or throwaway). What I was asking was whether, if someone else does that, the OP is then allowed to email them.

It's possible that the answer to that is also "no". I actually find it hard to see why, if those are the restrictions under which the OP has to work, they would be allowed to PM the other forum participant (which is the premise for them asking for PMs to be enabled here).

But if that answer is also "no", then the OP is in such a tiny tiny minority of people who have such a problem that it seems unlikely that CC would do anything special for them.

2 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

Sorry, what I meant was this: The OP is clearly not allowed to post any kind of email address on a forum. However, others are allowed to post their email addresses (whether permanent or throwaway). What I was asking was whether, if someone else does that, the OP is then allowed to email them.

Yes, if someone posts her email address, it’s permissible to respond. That’s the whole point of posting the address — to enable communication. And this is often done on Roll Calls, enabling folks to arrange the details of private shore excursions without hijacking the whole thread. (In addition, some CC members have their email address or link to it in their signatures.) 

34 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Yes, if someone posts her email address, it’s permissible to respond.

In general, yes - that's obvious, for the reasons you give.

The question I have is whether the OP is allowed to, given that the OP appears not to be allowed to post their own email address, not even a throwaway one:-

13 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

13 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

2 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

The question I have is whether the OP is allowed to, given that the OP appears not to be allowed to post their own email address, not even a throwaway one:-

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I see you were only asking the OP about what he is able to do email-wise (not what members may do in general.) Thanks again.  :classic_smile:

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

It is not related to cruising ,that is why I would use a PM .It is about a bar that a lot of entertainers hang out in.

Check these boards, there is an awful lot of content not directly related to cruising.

I participate in other boards that offer pm. I find it intrusive getting unsolicited pms. It is essentially spam.

Sharing an email address as "my use name at a domain period com" is effective in preventing bot harvesting while still being easily understandable by human readers.

Regardless of your position on the issue, the powers that be on this board have decided that there will be no messaging. Their house, their rules. If you wish to communicate outside of the system, you will need to post an email.

Really, its a simple answer to the issue.

IMHO, I won't communicate outside of these boards. The point is to share the knowledge/wealth with people. Going outside means everyone won't benefit from your posting.

• Like 1